God is Imaginary - 50 proofs! :)

Here’s the first from: godisimaginary.com/index.htm

Proof #1 - Try praying

What would happen if we get down on our knees and pray to God in this way:

Dear God, almighty, all-powerful, all-loving creator of the universe, we pray to you to cure every case of cancer on this planet tonight. We pray in faith, knowing you will bless us as you describe in Matthew 7:7, Matthew 17:20, Matthew 21:21, Mark 11:24, John 14:12-14, Matthew 18:19 and James 5:15-16. In Jesus’ name we pray, Amen.

Watch the video
We pray sincerely, knowing that when God answers this completely heartfelt, unselfish, non-materialistic prayer, it will glorify God and help millions of people in remarkable ways…

…Jesus is supposed to be God. God is supposed to be perfect.
When Jesus speaks, he should speak the truth.
Yet when we look at what Jesus says about prayer,
he is clearly lying.
If you would like additional proof, gather a million faithful believers together into a giant prayer circle. Have them all pray together in Jesus’ name that God cures every case of cancer on the planet tomorrow. Pray sincerely, knowing that when God answers this completely heartfelt, unselfish, non-materialistic prayer, it will glorify God and help millions of people in remarkable ways. Now, we certainly have two or more people gathered together, and they have asked in Jesus’ name, and we have not one but a million faithful believers who, by definition, have faith and believe. We have fulfilled every one of Jesus’ requirements.

Will Jesus answer the prayer now? Of course not. Your prayer will go unanswered, in direct defiance to Jesus’ promises in the Bible. In fact, if you pray for anything that is impossible, your prayer will always go unanswered.

If you are an intelligent, rational human being, all of the examples mentioned above show you that the God of the Bible is imaginary. What Jesus says about prayer in the Bible clearly is not true.

In fact, we have ample scientific evidence to demonstrate that the belief in prayer is nothing but pure superstition, as shown in the next proof…

Go to Proof #2 >>>

A few times valid points are raised and I say a few because the author of the site is clearly laughable for being a terrible ignoramus about what we believe in. His information is clearly a misinformation since he seems to quote Christians who are obviously not the brightest bulbs on the Christmas tree when it comes to their faith. (and I do not think these are Catholics at all based on what has taken place) Ergo, the straw - man’s argument. :smiley:

However, how would you respond to such people? In this thread we’ll tackle each proof one by one. :cool:

If it is according to God’s will then it shall be answered, if not, it will go unanswered. I know that sounds stupid, but it makes sense to me :slight_smile:

Hmm, seems to me that these tests are in direct contradiction to the teachings of Christ himself. When Christ was in the desert being tempted by satan. Do not test the Lord Our God. Hmm so first off we are not to test God get it, got it, good, secondly if this prayer is of Gods will and is for our good and the worlds then the prayer will be answered but again it must be of His will.

I think it is pretty foolish to say that we will tackle each proof one by one when you yourself have not tackled any. The website that you linked is nothing more than atheistic opinion - they are not proofs. If you want to tackle real proofs then why don’t you read the beginning of the first volume of the Summa Theologica (Question 2, Article 3: On Whether God Exists) of St. Thomas Aquinas. If you would like to comment on those once you’ve read them then please do so rather than just cutting and pasting from that atheist website.

So let me see … I’ll say to my wife, “Honey, I love you with all my heart, let’s move to Tahiti.” If she agrees, then she’s real. If she refuses, then she’s imaginary.

Yeah … that’s such incisive logic.

Behind these proofs are arbitrary assumptions about how God should behave, what God should be like. Problem is, who is less likely to know how God should behave, what God should be like, than those who do not even believe in God? I mean, who thought this was a reasonable approach to the question? :eek:

That sounds perfectly reasonable to me (and to my spouse!) :confused:

What this list proves is that atheists don’t understand logic.

To whit:

To pray is to ask. If I ask you to stop posting atheist drivel tarted up as philosophy, and you don’t do it, does that mean prayer doesn’t exist? No, it simply means that I asked, and you didn’t fulfill my request.

Moreover, it displays an infantile conception of prayer. If I ask you to stop posting such nonsense on behalf of my brothers and sisters who risk carpal tunnel syndrome typing long, thoughtful responses which you won’t give a moment’s notice to, the fact that you fail to stop wasting your time and ours does not mean my request has accomplished nothing.

Indeed, I feel better for asking, and because I have asked, I have taken a stand for true discourse, sound reasoning, and conservation of valuable Catholic Answers bandwidth.

Moreover, maybe—just maybe—getting called on such sophistry will encourage you to go read some real philosophy and see what an actual argument looks like. Who knows what new vistas you’ll discover in reading things which edify the spirit and sharpen the intellect instead of drivel?

I think that God always answers our prayers. Sometimes just not in a way we would will it. The trick is to conform our wills to His.

There’s a fundamental flaw in the way those “proofs” are constructed – namely, it seems that (from my cursory glance) most of his first principles derive from a non-Catholic reading of the Scripture passages, insofar as he does not read the passages in either the context they appear or the context of Scripture as a whole.

Peace,
Dante

Praying is asking; in order to ask, one must first believe.
If all did indeed have faith in God, something that even the apostles lacked many times (as in Matthew 17:20-21, where even they had failed to produce miracles), then, the world as such would change, in which wars, persecutions and sin would no longer exist. Then, yes, God would certainly react and not only cure cancer, but change us from mortality to immortality. However, to accomplish such faith, we need to receive a new nature. The reception of this new nature at baptism is still dormant, as in a seed, so that not even most baptized christians have the faith required for such miracles to happen.There are indeed a few exceptions, such as Padre Pio, and such exceptions have indeed produced miracles which have been documented. Such documented miracles are there for atheists to investigate, but it doesn’t change much of the atheists’ views…they only will ask for more grandiose signs and miracles, as in the case mentioned above in order to justify their unbelief, it seems.

Andre

To walk to God we must suffer. There are times when doctors heal cancer patients, and they live for another 10-20 years. But there are also times when it doesn’t go away. Why? Perhaps some of those people are being called to the next life, perhaps others are learning to pray to God themselves, because of the pain, and I mean REAL PRAYER, ansd in the end they’ll becomne closer to God. And perhaps the pain is another purging, like purgatory, drawing us closer to Him. I don’t know, just wanted to say that :slight_smile:

This is one of the saddest threads there could be.

Harden not your hearts.

I am reminded of both Pharoh and Pilate. The latter looks Truth right in the eyes, and asks “Truth, what is Truth?”

The former only needed 10 “proofs” of God … the God Who was answering the prayers of a multitude, a multitude far smaller than its oppressive masters.

Then there is always Lot… God answered the prayers of one man, and was willing to save a whole city with all its sinners if a small few could be found as righteous.

Sounds like the criteria is sincerity and sanctity, not numbers.

If you prayed with enough faith, everyone would be cured in an instance.

really:rolleyes:

tell them that the prayer described is NOT the way Jesus taught us to pray in the bible, “Thy will be done” is the object of prayer, the matter of prayer, and the purpose of prayer. If they would try actually reading God’s Word in the bible instead of claiming to know it without reading it, they would get it. If every believer on the planet today got down on their knees at the same time and prayed “Thy will be done, on earth as it is in heaven” not only would cancer be eradicated, but wars would cease, global warming would reverse, and the Indians would win the play-offs. If you have faith but the size of this mustard seed you can move mountains.

There are so many ridiculous assumptions in the first proof that it makes me wonder if a junior high student wrote it. First of all it is not “impossible” for God to cure every cancer case, or for God to cure amputees. He made everything, and He can fix everything. Second of all, the proof asks us to imagine all of us down on our knees in sincere prayer to God. This is an argument for athiests? That would be the miracle right there! IF all of us got down on our knees to sincerely pray for the world— that would be the miracle!! For the everyone in the world to bend their knee to God would show God giving such extraordinary Grace it is hard to imagine.

These folks also forget that Jesus also prayed more than once that God’s will be done. He has permitted cancer and other sufferings for a reason. Suffering is part of our training. It isn’t likely that God will take back the suffering of the entire world because we need it for our salvation.

I think that this “Proof” is attacking the wrong religion.
God does not do what we ask him, because we asked him. Uh-uh :nope: THAT’S called MAGIC! or SUPERSTITION!

Christianity by it’s very nature embraces suffering and surrenders to the will of the Almighty.

Asking God for something is NOT the same as praying for something. Prayer is a gift. We can only pray when God inspires us with the gift of prayer. When we pray, God reacts. When we ask for something while not listening to the Holy Spirit… Nothing Happens. Period.

All they have proved is that Magic and Superstition doesn’t work, not Christianity. But then again, we’ll forgive them for their ignorance, like true Christians (who don’t practice Magic or Superstition), becuase we imatate Christ who said “Forgive them Father they know not what they do!”

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.