God loves us, as individuals?

Can someone show me where God or Jesus is shown in scripture to love us, not as “the whole world” or as groups or as characters from the Bible, but US, as individuals in the 21st century?

A friend claims that God, even Jesus, doesn’t really care about us as individuals, and I really don’t know enough to refute her claims.

Galatians 2:20 comes to mind…

In Rev, it states that He will write his name upon our foreheads; only individuals have foreheads!

ICXC NIKA.

Just for reference: yet I live, no longer I, but Christ lives in me; insofar as I now live in the flesh, I live by faith in the Son of God who has loved me and given himself up for me.

Look at how humans were made - as individuals. With the rest of creation God simply spoke and it was made but with man and woman, well, he created them as individuals, taking the time to form them man and woman.

Look at Psalm 139. It starts out, O Lord, you have searched me and known me! You know when I sit down and when I rise up; you discern my thoughts from afar..
These are hardly the actions of an impersonal God who cares not for the individual.

And Isaiah 49:1b Before birth the LORD called me, from my mother’s womb he gave me my name.
Isaiah 49:15-16a Can a mother forget her infant, be without tenderness for the child of her womb? Even should she forget, I will never forget you. See, upon the palms of my hands I have engraved you;

Ephesians 5:1-2 – Be imitators of God, therefore, as dearly loved children and live a life of love, just as Christ loved us and gave himself up for us as a fragrant offering and sacrifice to God.
Again, parental imagery: if God loves us as children, what parent loves His children only as a group and not as individuals?

The apostles come to mind.

Here are a few more:

Isaiah 49: 14-16 “But Zion said, “The LORD has forsaken me; my Lord has forgotten me.” Can a mother forget her infant, be without tenderness for the child of her womb? Even should she forget, I will never forget you. See, upon the palms of my hands I have engraved you; your walls are ever before me.”

Psalms 56:9 “My wanderings you have noted; are my tears not stored in your flask, recorded in your book?”

Proverbs 8:17 “Those who love me I also love, and those who seek me find me.”

Matthew 10:29-31 “Are not two sparrows sold for a small coin? Yet not one of them falls to the ground without your Father’s knowledge. Even all the hairs of your head are counted. So do not be afraid; you are worth more than many sparrows.”

2 Peter 3:9 “The Lord does not delay his promise, as some regard “delay,” but he is patient with you, not wishing that any should perish but that all should come to repentance.”

John 15: 9-11 “As the Father loves me, so I also love you. Remain in my love. If you keep my commandments, you will remain in my love, just as I have kept my Father’s commandments and remain in his love. “I have told you this so that my joy may be in you and your joy may be complete.”

It’s getting late over here, so I haven’t found the Bible reference that says that our names are written in the Book of Life. If God didn’t love us individually then surely we would all be numbered (or 40th male baby born 6 July 1843) but instead He wrote our names down.

Hope this helps. May God bless you and goodnight.

PS. I am sure a lot more Bible verses and stories (lost sheep, lost coin, prodigal son etc) will be forthcoming.

Just to add to some great replies, St Augustine certainly thought God loves us individually:
"God loves each of us as if there were only one of us."

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.