God not "giving you more than you can handle"

Why do we say that God will not give you more than you can handle?
Because people sometimes can’t handle what they are experiencing and have mental breakdowns or are killed, etc.
Or maybe I have the definition of “being able to handle” something wrong - it can’t mean that we physically survived something because we die every day. It can’t mean that we emotionally survive something because we break down.

Have you ever studied the Catholic Martyrs? There are many recent books out on them. Take a look and educate yourself here.

What you “think” someone or yourself can handle, is only your thinking. Theres your thinking, then theres the Truth.

Reality is not how we would like it to be, or how we think it is. but how it in fact is. And unless theres witness we cannot honeslty know what others truly thought.

There have been situations I have been in through life I wouldn’t wish on an enemy. And I can assure you it was God who carried me, not I who walked through those difficult times. God knows and trusts in you, way more that you could ever know or believe and conceive.

At the end of every internal conflict in your mind, regardless of how hopless, how bad it appears, how much pain you endure. Just remember these four words, “I believe in God”

Of all those martyred, what we don’t have is an account for a single one who denied God. Not one, and that in itself is amazing my friend. And when you consider many were Virgins under 20yo, that in itself is a testament to personal courage and one being covered by the Lords hand.

Theres a belief in God thats unshakable, Look at Daniel and the Lions Den, Mose’s and Egypt, Noah and the Ark. Or any one of the Martryed Saints.

And you will be fine regardless of what happens. Don’t sell yourself short. Put your life in Gods Hand, and you will covered by His Hand.

And you will be fine regardless of what happens. Don’t sell yourself short. Put your life in Gods Hand, and you will covered by His Hand.

But what does it mean “to be fine” ? I guess it means you ultimately won’t go to Hell. Because, as evidenced by the martyrs, verything else possible in the world is a possibility for you, regardless of what you believe. The one thing you are protected from is going to Hell. Because the saints experienced everything else, what else is left? In other words, just accept what is given to you.

But what does it mean “to be fine” ? I guess it means you ultimately won’t go to Hell. Because, as evidenced by the martyrs, verything else possible in the world is a possibility for you, regardless of what you believe. The one thing you are protected from is going to Hell. Because the saints experienced everything else, what else is left? In other words, just accept what is given to you.

No not Hell, Heaven and all things you can handly accept on a feeling level, will cease to exist for you at this point.

They can give us inspiration. But in our trials, it is you and I who ultimately stand alone with God. I understand its hard to comprehend he won’t forsake you. But I know He won’t

I use to do public speaking, and I would tell listeners that If I could give you one thing, I would give you my misery. Not because I have a desire or sick need that you share it. But so you clearly see what is possible with faith in God.

We devote our lives to faith, and then its not to look at the bad or others who have more, these again are feelings of this world and not of God. But to Count the Blessings.

How many are homeless tonight? Do you have a Home or shelter?

How many are sick? Do you have your health?

How many haven’t eaten today or took a bath. Did you eat, do you have basic needs?

What is your reality? And what is of fault with it?

Sorry about the mistake in the quote above. Not sure how I managed that.:slight_smile:

How many are homeless tonight? Do you have a Home or shelter?

How many are sick? Do you have your health?

How many haven’t eaten today or took a bath. Did you eat, do you have basic needs?*

Really appreciate your response.
However, how do those who have none of the above respond?
And, if we are not supposed to compare ourselves to those who have more, why compare ourselves to those who have less? Because those who “have more” than I are looking at me and thinking, Well, at least I’m not her. And that doesn’t help :slight_smile:

I’ve always thought of that saying as being in reference to this verse: “No trial has come to you but what is human. God is faithful and will not let you be tried beyond your strength; but with the trial he will also provide a way out, so that you may be able to bear it.” 1 Corinthians 10:13 NAB

I think it means something we can handle* if we rely on His strength *:slight_smile: if we rely on our own strength, we can only handle so much. But “I can do all things through Christ who gives me strength”. He is always there to offer us help

Its a good question. It really is. I can’t tell you how many times I’ve heard that very saying.
Especially with the families of special needs children. Sometimes I think we say it so we don’t break. LOL.

But we know that God will get us through it no matter what. I can’t tell you how many times I’ve felt like the mighty oak that was ready to break in a storm but somehow , someway we’ve gotten through it. I believe it is a true saying.

As for those that take their lives in the midst of it usually they are the people who have not put whatever it is in front of them to God and they don’t allow Him to carry them through it. That is all I can say. Because trust me there have been many times in my life where God has given me more than I can handle yet He’s carried me through.

TracyR, what does it mean to put something in front of God? And how do you “allow” God to do or not do anything? He’s God; he can do whatever he wants.

I’d like to feel God’s presence in my life, I’d like his help, etc., but I’ve not found any way to know if he’s listening. Life goes on no matter what you pray.

See, the thing is we as human beings don’t always stop to listen. We live in such a fast pace world and are so used to getting things right now that we don’t stop and just listen. God isn’t a ‘magic genie’ when we ask Him to grant our every wish. Sometimes things happen right away and sometimes we have to step back , listen, then wait.

If we pray and ask God for to help guide us through, His presence is there whether we ‘feel’ it or not. He is there whether we see it happen in front of us or a year or two later down the road. God’s time isn’t always our time.

The thing I’ve learned about having a special needs child is that God is there. There were times that I didn’t think he was, but looking back on it He was there to guide me through the times my daughter was hospitalized, He was there when she was born and we learned of her health problems, He was there for the many hospitalizations and surgeries she’s endured so far in her short life. Did I always feel His presence? No. I was so busy with what was going on at the time I didn’t stop to think. But now looking back God was there and he saw us through and we are much stronger for it. I have been able to be there for others who are facing the same things with their children.

God is always there for us whether we feel it , know it, or not.
Footsteps In The Sand

One night a man had a dream.
He dreamed he was walking along the beach with the LORD.
Across the sky flashed scenes from his life.
For each scene, he noticed two sets of footprints in the sand:
one belonging to him, and the other to the LORD.

When the last scene of his life flashed before him
he looked back, at the footprints in the sand.
He noticed that many times along the path of his life
there was only one set of footprints.
He also noticed that it happened at the very lowest and saddest times of his life.

This really bothered him and he questioned the LORD about it:
“LORD, you said that once I decided to follow you,
you’d walk with me all the way.
But I have noticed that during the most troublesome times in my life
there is only one set of footprints.
I don’t understand why when I needed you most you would leave me.”

The LORD replied:
“My son, My precious child, I love you and I would never leave you,
During your times of trial and suffering,
when you see only one set of footprints, it was then that I carried you.”

Author unknown

Thanks, TracyR. I’m glad God was there for you.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.