God - OLD TESTAMENT

Hi,

Can anyone please direct me to a good short commentary or catholic answers apologetic’s posting on why God allowed people to be murdered for disobeying His laws… even children? An atheist or agnostic sent me the following verses and I do not have the best ability to defend our God, of the NT and OT… He isn’t the God of just the NT, as most like to think. Please help me.

Thank you,
Brian

The Person share the following verses with me:

Now therefore kill every male among the little ones, and kill every woman that hath known man by lying with him. But all the women children, that have not known a man by lying with him, keep alive for yourselves. Numbers 31:17-18

The people of Samaria must bear the consequences of their guilt because they rebelled against their god. They will be killed by an invading army, their little ones dashed to death against the ground, their pregnant women ripped open by swords.Hosea 13:16

Here is a good article on this from Catholic Answers’ Jimmy Akin:

Hard Sayings Of The Old Testament

I don’t have the reply that you’re looking for. I do get annoyed with people using the Bible, pulling out verses, then saying something like this person, See, defend *that. *

Why should children be killed? Why should there be a law in our country to kill babies that are in the womb? What did they do to deserve that? By the millions. Defend that my friend.

I think the people who pull verses from the Bible to argue with you are looking to shut you up and gloat about it. I think if you got an answer they would just throw something else at you and not even listen to what you had to say. I hope I’m wrong, that they are being worked on by the Holy Spirit and their hearts soften. Let’s continue to pray for that! The best way to work on their hearts is your kind attitude regardless of how snotty they like to treat you. God bless you and strengthen you in the battle.

What the real problem is, is that they don’t understand Who God is. He created everything, including humans. It is not unjust for Him to kill anyone, either directly or indirectly (by ordering others to do so). God is not one Being among many. He is far more than that! They have a great misunderstanding of the very basics. The basis of their question is worldly and human. They’re trying to wrap their finite minds around God, the Infinite. Can’t be done.

Tell your friend to get some context.

The law of the people that was kept due to the hardness of their hearts is not what God mandated.

Jesus said this was never so from the beginning ;)

Thank you for your encouragement and prayers! God Bless and Strengthen you my friend!

Thank you for allowing me to be your 12000 post and for the link! : )

I guess it is trying to understand God’s perfect justice in everything…

I am not sure what you mean… I suppose if people believe suffering and evil comes from God than they have a distorted image of God. Also, if they believe God hardens hearts and there is not really such a thing as freewill, then that also might impact how they see God, but i am not sure of this persons perspective, it was a person who just raised the questions and i haven’t spent the time sorting through the answers. Thank you for your help!

I would suggest the following. Israel was executing God’s wrath on decadent cultures, and were without sin for doing so. These instances often appear in the Exodus story, and Joshua’s conquering of the promised land. Scriptures do not give us all the details… probably for good reason. Notice that they spare the virgins, or those not corrupted by there decadent culture. There very children may have been corrupted sexually in these cultures as well. Hence, Gods command to end that evil. Read the “Epic of Gilgamesh” and you 'll see how different they were in the past. Gilgamesh had a Temple to Ishtar in the city; the Priestesses were required to have sex with any male that needed it. It was a religious duty!:eek:

I didnt say God heardened anyones heart.

Because the peoples hearts were hardened, they basically did things their way. They werent doing it Gods way. The peoples laws, not Gods.

Then Jesus came and said the peoples ways are not Gods and never were.

So all those dark quotes were mandated by the people, not God.

I was just commenting on Exodus 9:12 and or others like it since you mention the hearts being hardened.

For example,

Moses granted (Moses did, not God) divorce because of the hardness of the peoples hearts.

Jesus said they all were committing adultery since theyre all still married to their first spouse. He said divorce was never so from the beginning.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.