God or Allah?

I know that Allah is simply the Arabic word for God and that it is used by Arabic-speaking Christians. But why is it that Muslims use the word “Allah” for God even when they are speaking English?

This is simply because Muslims mistakenly presume that the word Allah is the proper or personal name of their Creator and that Allah is the name that best expresses the notion of the one true God in Islam. To some extent, we may liken this Islamic tendency to replace the word God with Allah in every language to a syndrome that cults like JW suffer from. Some Muslims insist on saying Allah in every language essentially because they want to manipulate that term and present it as something peculiar to Islam.

Have you noticed that a lot of them also litter their sentences with seemingly random Arabic phrases or acronyms? (Example, read one of AmericanRevert’s posts) Since many of them posting here use poor English spelling, grammar, and puncuation anyway, it makes their posts all the more difficult to read.

Actually, Allah translates “The God”

But you make a good point, nonetheless!

I actually had a Muslim friend who would say “The God” (he never said Allah…unless he was speaking Arabic) when we would discuss religion and God.

[SIGN]Allaahu Akbar![/SIGN]

:thumbsup:

Why? Because Allaah said

Qul (say)
huwa (he is)
Allaah (Allaah!)

If God calls himself Allaah… then why shouldn’t I call Him Allaah?

I agree with you, Psalter, about Americanrevert’s posts. The Arabic honorifics and whatnot make them all the more difficult to read. as does the incredibly annoying habit she and some other Muslim posters here have of using special/multiple fonts and colors for no reason at all.

Thank you, Sister Amy, for not doing this. :thumbsup:

As to Allah, Sister Amy’s quotation is interesting. “Say he is Allah” is interesting and raises many questions. If this is a direct quote from Allah himself, why is it phrased in the third person?

The phrasing “say he is” is also perhaps less than clear. If “Allah” is meant as a proper name for God, then why does the passage read “say he is” rather than “call him”? (or is there no difference between these meanings in Arabic?) When a Christian says “Jesus is Lord”, s/he is declaring that he is God/Allah, without calling him “Allah” as a proper name. It would seem to make more sense that “say he is Allah” is affirming the concept, rather than declaring a proper name. Declare that he is Allah.

Would you mind providing the verse in context, Sister Amy? I bet this would clarify the issue for me.

Saying “the God” when referring to GOD is pointless and redundant, as though there were another “god” HE had to be distinguished from!

Not quite. Allah is a name, not a word.

yeh - I’ve noticed that too. Fortunately, I know a bit of Arabic and I can make a bit of sense of it.

But English speakers must get frustrated at all this non-English posts. I’m surprised the moderators allow it.

I think we all know what that means. We hear it so often in the news.

Christians believe that “Allah” (“The God”) was a name derived from ancient pagans who worshipped the moon. Arabic Christians adopted this name to assimilate with those pagans.

Muslims believe the name “Allah” came from God himself in a revelation know as the Qur’an to the so-called Messenger Muhammad.

I ponder that very often.

Though, the word “THE” is not always like that.
For example:

The newspaper said that there was a bad car accident last night.
That does not mean that we are distinguishing one paper as being above others. (Though this argument could be rebuked: i.e. someone could ask “Which newspaper”)

So…a better example:
The Earth is round.
There is only one Earth and we use “the” to describe our planet. Not to say that it is distinguished among other earths. Though…saying the Saturn sounds weird does it not?
(Makes me wonder why Earth gets to be called the Earth…ahh…now I am slipping myself into too many thoughts…lol!)

Even though in English it sounds foreign to say “the God” I am sure in Arabic it sounds as natural as when we simply say “God”

Basically…(now watch the capitalization)…there is a difference between:
The God (capital T) [distinguishing one god among many]
-and-
the God (lowercase t) [God being described as in the “the Earth” example]

Problem with the above, there is no uppercase/lowercase in Arabic.

Am I making sense?

Then speak Arabic.

What is your source on this, with regard to the Arab Christians’ adoption of “Allah”? If it is not native to their vocabulary, what did they use before adopting it?

As you have been given the context (the sura is very short), no it wouldn’t. But here it goes.
In the Name of God/Allah the Beneficient the Merciful
Say! He is God/Allah is One [the Arabic isn’t clear either]
God/Allah the Everlasting.
He does not beget nor is begotten.
And there is not the equal to Him.

Christians early on turned this on its head, pointing out about the Three being One because there is none like Him.

In English it is, in Arabic it is not.

Not the Arabic speaking Christians.
The Hebrew cognate is Elohim, in Aramaic Alaahaa.

Muslims believe the name “Allah” came from God himself in a revelation know as the Qur’an to the so-called Messenger Muhammad.

No, they admit that it is pre-Islamic.

We have plenty of pre-Islamic attestations of Allah being used among Christians, picked up from Aramaic (btw, a great deal of religious terms in Arabic are Aramaic loans, including “Quran” lectionary).

More than that, you are spot on.

When the noun Allah is possessed, which also makes it definite, it loses the prefix “the” and reverts to ilah. So “my God” is “ilahi” cf. Eli, Eli…

Yes! This is because Muslims pathetically suppose that the more Arabic they speak the easier they will have access to the Islamic paradise.

Where in the Koran is it written that every Muslim must use the word Allah no matter whatever language is spoken?

Where is it written in the Koran that Allah is the Creator’s genuine name?

The Koran also names the Pharaoh FIR’AVNE. Do you say Fir’avne rather than Pharaoh in English because that’s the word used in the Koran? :smiley:

**amazin.

then why don’t you speak aramaic or hebrew since yall claim to imitate or be like Jesus eh? Silly meanness by all means and rude.

So I use the names of their real origin…is it a sin? No they are easy and understandable. If they aren’t I usually put the translation next to it as you have seen in my other posts. sheesh. and the names we have used over and over and over again. Is like if someone doesn’t understand something it isn’t as if they can’t ask IN A NICE WAY. picky

In old version of Encycolpedia Britannica that God word (etymology) comes from the Gothic God of the Woods (Woden). The Goths are Gog and Magog and God is the name of their God not the One God." Go figure

Allah= Has no gender (not male and not female)

“He” is used only out of respect and dignity - not for gender

Allah = Always singular - Never plural

“We” is used only as the “Royal WE” just as in English for royalty

Allah =Means “The Only One to be Worshipped”

Allah is the name our Creator uses for Himself.

americanrevert

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.