God or Psychology the cause?

I often wonder about this. God made us in his image, each uniquely different. Some people have a contagious laughter. Some people are very easily to like and get along with. Some people have more self-control over their feelings than others. Some people carry personality traits that deserve more recognition and praise than others. There are others that God makes more plain, average, or unpleasant. People say work and try to change things you do not like about yourself. I disagree. I have tried copying some of my good friend’s good attributes, it does not work for me. I can’t be as friendly as her. I am not sure why though. Sometimes it is hard to swallow, we are not all equal. As much as I am all for having control and power over myself, part of me feels MAYBE SOME PEOPLE ARE NOT MEANT TO BE A CERTAIN WAY. Leadership qualities do not naturally come to me. I do not know why. That is just how I am. How do you humbly accept who you are, even if you do not have the most desirable personality traits?

According to the branch of psychology known as positive psychology, it is better to capitalize on the strengths you do have (everyone has something they are good at, some talent, gift, virtue) than to spend too much time trying to change or correct your weaknesses at which you do not excel, unless the latter are so bad they prevent you from strengthening and refining your good points.

I would say to thank God for everything He has given you, even your good and bad points. After all, He gives each of us life and whatever we do have, no?

Excellent answer! Genetics and environment help determine your personality traits. Make the best of what God has given you, but seek help from a professional if you have very disordered traits or thinking.

“The splendor of the rose and the whiteness of the lily do not rob the little violet of its scent nor the daisy of its simple charm. If every tiny flower wanted to be a rose, spring would lose its loveliness.” --St. Therese of Lisieux

We aren’t all meant to be the same–we wouldn’t work as a community if everyone had the same virtues and the same flaws. What gifts do you have that you could use to bring the world to Christ?

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.