God-parents obligation to pay stipend to priest

My mother in law needs to know if they are obligated to pay the stipend to the priest at a baptism? She is the godmother.

Ten minutes to find out...

Not that I know of. It usually is the parent’s obligation. It’s their baby being baptized.

[quote="James924, post:1, topic:178055"]
My mother in law needs to know if they are obligated to pay the stipend to the priest at a baptism? She is the godmother.

[/quote]

No.

It all depends on tradition. Where I grew up the godfather was the one who took care of the stipend. My dad had to pay it more times than he cared to think, he was godfather to about 20 kids. But when we were godparents to my godmother's daughter her husband was very offended at the thought that we would pay the stipend. That wasn't the tradition where he lived.

Stipend for a baptism?

I can understand weddings and funerals, but not baptisms.

[quote="IowaJay, post:5, topic:178055"]
Stipend for a baptism?

[/quote]

Usually if it is in the afternoon on Saturday or Sunday, and not during the normal Mass time. But the parents usually give a thank-you note with $10-20, not the Godparents.

[quote="IowaJay, post:5, topic:178055"]
Stipend for a baptism?

[/quote]

Baptisms and Confirmations do also have a stipend.

Stipends are voluntary. Selling the Sacraments is a sin.

[quote="James924, post:1, topic:178055"]

[/quote]

there is no obligation, it is a donation, and who pays is a cultural or family custom, not decreed by the church, the parish secretary can tell you the usual amount

I never heard of that before. No, as far as I know, it's the parent's obligation.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.