God the Mother

I was just visited yesterday by a young lady wanting to share her faith with me and wanting to show me a couple of Bible verses pertaining to “God the Mother”.

I politely declined. I then went to search a little to see what this was all about. She said she was from Elohim Bible College.

Anyone have any information that you can share with me?

I had a couple of young ladies come to my door and said the same thing. I told them (politely) that God is neither a man nor a woman, but that his Son Jesus Christ called him ‘Father’, so that is good enough for me!

Here’s a website about their group:

collin.edu/campuslife/elohim_bible_study_club.html

The “college” is run by this group: en.wikipedia.org/wiki/World_Mission_Society_Church_of_God

They believe in two gods - a male and female god.

Sola Scriptura strikes again!

“The Church believes that Jesus was to come a second time in the flesh. They believe that Ahn Sahng-hong is the Second Coming Jesus who came with a new name (Revelation 3:11–12; Revelation 2:17) and state that he fulfilled biblical prophecies that only Jesus could have fulfilled.”

Sola Scriptura, not so much.

Maybe…but they make similar claims in furtherance of the Reformation…:This church believes in God the Father and God the Mother,[1] expressing their identity that they are restoring the truth of the early church.[2] Its headquarters are located in Bundang, Sungnam City, Kyunggi Province.

That would just put them in the same camp as the LDS and JW’s as part of the Restorationist movement. The Mormons and JW’s don’t hold to Sola Scriptura, either.

This guy does/did claim sola scripture, scripture alone - explained properly by his interpretation as revealed by “god”/himself.

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ahn_Sahng-hong

Ahn, who like most Christians[26] believed in the Second Coming of Jesus, and had predicted that the signs indicating the Second Coming had occurred would be revealed “within 10 years” in 1956. Ahn further believed to be living in the end time and that the Second Coming was imminent. Ahn through biblical exegesis in his book The Mystery of God and the Spring of the Water of Life (1980) (Melchizedek Publishing Co., Ltd.) interprets the Gospel of Matthew chapter 24 verse 32-34 to suggest that signs revealing the end world would begin 40 years after the independence of the modern state of Israel. World Mission Society Church of God in their later editions of the book have edited information pertaining to the prediction in order to clarify the authors intent. Ahn continued to prophesy about the years after 1988 in his book The Bridegroom Was a Long Time in Coming, and They All Became Drowsy and Fell Asleep (1980) in a discussion based on scriptural typology, presented his conclusion that in the context of working to complete the spiritual temple, the last day of the temple work would occur in 2012, an event which precedes other last day events detailed in his other books.

Correct. And if you believe you are receiving continuing revelation from God that interprets Scripture for you, it disqualifies from being a Sola Scriptura viewpoint, regardless of what you say about Scripture itself.

Wouldn’t this dismiss the vast majority of non-Catholic, non-Orthodox sects as being Scriptural, even based on their own sola claim?

Per wikipedia:
“Ahn and his mother lived in Japan over a nine year period. He returned to Korea in 1946, after the war, and began attending the local congregation of the Seventh-day Adventist Church in Incheon in 1947. Sources from the World Mission Society Church of God claim that it is during this time period that Ahn was baptized in 1948.[10] Ahn reported getting revelations in 1953,”

Oh boy!!!

Apparently the roots are SDA restorationist. Restorationist+Visions:eek:

I had some visions in the early 1970’s, but they weren’t from God. :rolleyes:

Based on what?

Based on the founders or current leaders asserting their current, direct revelation to interpret the Bible and even changing practices - such as gay marriages or female clergy, since they assert a new interpretation not held ever earlier.

Which one of the 16th century reformers (or later, for that matter) claim divine revelation either in their interpretation of Scripture, or receiving visions, etc.?

As for modern leaders who are approving of gay marriage, they are doing so on the basis that they do not believe Scripture to be (at least 100%) the Word of God, or that it is authoritative to such issues. That would hardly be a claim to Sola Scriptura.

Mormons do not, as far as I can tell. But JWs do hole do SS.

So what is the difference between their claim to restore the gospel/church versus the Protestant/Reformation claim to restore the true gospel/church?

The Reformation, is quite restorationist, in a sense also.

Were the 16th reformers guided by the Holy Spirit in their interpretation of the Scripture?

The “quatenus” view. IOW, Scripture is the word of God in so far as it agrees with the current secular world view.

That’s not sola scriptura.

Jon

No, they don’t, as the JW’s believe that the Watchtower is an infallible entity alongside Scripture. In addition, they’ve changed the text of Scripture itself.

So what is the difference between their claim to restore the gospel/church versus the Protestant/Reformation claim to restore the true gospel/church?

The Reformation, is quite restorationist, in a sense also.

I can only speak to my own tradition. However, Luther never claimed that the Roman Church of his day was a false church that replaced a hidden church that disappeared in the first century.

Nor more so than anyone else. They were not claiming new revelation apart from the canonical Scriptures. Unlike the above mentioned goofy sect, or the JW’s or the Mormons, or etc. etc.

How many restorationist groups confess the three ancient Creeds?
Restorationists typically believe that the early Church fell into apostasy, often citing Constantine, or perhaps even Tertullian. The “Majesterial” Reformation era communions generally do not hold to this. Lutherans certainly, and probably Reformed and their offshoots, have far less in common with Restorationists than the do with the CC.

Jon

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.