God Will Provide! (Free stuff for me 'cause I'm one of his favorites)

Ugh, I just got off the phone with a lady I know. She is a born again Christian with a limited theology. I hadn’t spoken with her for awhile.

I asked her how she was doing, and she was all giggles and levity because God was doing marvelous things in her life! This consisted mainly of free stuff coming her way without any effort on her part. She seemed to attribute it all to God’s direct intervention in bestowing special favors on her.

I wonder what she thinks of the countless people in this world who have had misfortune come their way. Does God not care about them? I just can’t stand this name and claim it attitude towards God.

[quote=WhiteDove]Ugh, I just got off the phone with a lady I know. She is a born again Christian with a limited theology. I hadn’t spoken with her for awhile.

I asked her how she was doing, and she was all giggles and levity because God was doing marvelous things in her life! This consisted mainly of free stuff coming her way without any effort on her part. She seemed to attribute it all to God’s direct intervention in bestowing special favors on her.

I wonder what she thinks of the countless people in this world who have had misfortune come their way. Does God not care about them? I just can’t stand this name and claim it attitude towards God.
[/quote]

I think this ‘health and wealth gospel’ is one of the most dangerous I’ve seen. It totally goes against the teachings of Christ who says we are supposed to give everything up and follow Him!

I wonder how many people who are poor hear this nonsense and feel that they aren’t ‘good enough Christians’ and God must be punishing them for not being devout enough. Then in turn feel totally outside and separated from God?

I’m with you, I can’t stand this either …I was raised around some of this (convert) and I didn’t like it then either.

SV

I agree in principle.

I find that those who grow closer to God, tend to suffer more in this world. The suffering is, of course, a small price for the spiritual growth and well worth it. :getholy:

I thank God for everything (see Thanking God for Everyday Things). :bowdown2:

I pity those who have a lot of nice things and feel they deserve it because of their faith. They are missing a lot. :crying:

For fourteen years I’ve done a lot of plumbing in the poorest sections of Memphis. It seems that every last ONE of these hovels has some freshly arrived literature from one or more of the prosperity/word-of-faith “ministries.”

I’ve been to a number of such “crusades” in a downtown auditorium, tent, etc. One I recall vividly featured a young man taking the offering (a thirty-minute talk before the plates were passed). He spoke on the New Testament idea of sowing and reaping and he solemly warned the congregation:

“Some o’ you came here tonight intending to REAP a MIRACLE.”

Then he held the mike close to his mouth, narrowed his eyebrows, and pointed forcefully at at the listeners as he intoned “I’m here to tell ya, you gonna have to sow some SEED!

All I could think of was the sign at the gas station, “Pay Before You Pump.”

I find the whole material rewards from God idea very dangerous. What happens if someone gives all they have to the preachers with an expectation of great rewards? This goes into the same folder for me as those who give money and expect a miraculous faith healing. (Wait for me to find an asbestos vest before getting out any flaming slingshots. :wink: )

What happens to those expecting material returns? Those who put all their faith into it, and get disappointed? Will they blame God for not giving them what they want? Will they get disillusioned because their faith doesn’t seem enough? Will they ultimatly feel that God doesn’t exist or doesn’t care about them and turn away from God?

Sorry to go on about it, but it really scares me.

I am amazed that the prosperity gospel thrives so much in the face of the beatitudes, life of Jesus and most of the New Testament. Then so many carry the cross of poverty and still remain faithful to Jesus.

Maybe if you pray the prayer of Jabez enough they would be rich, or is that considered vain repetition?

This name it and claim it attitude also greatly saddens me. You all are so right in saying that to follow Jesus we must be willing to suffer, to sacrifice, to pour ourselves and our selfish desires out for the sake of others.

As someone who is dealing with chronic illness, it is very difficult when someone has the attitude that if only I would trust God more, he would take the suffering away from me. I say, look at the saints and how much they suffered. More importantly, look at Jesus on the cross and how much He suffered for us. We are called to be like Him in all things.

Our pastor spoke about Jesus’ suffering several weeks back, and compared it to “The Red Badge of Courage.” I referenced it on another thread a day or two ago, but can’t remember which one. Anyway, Jesus has His red badge of courage, and even in His resurrected body He chose to keep His 5 great wounds.

So, when we pass from this life, and Our Heavenly Father asks us where our “Red Badge of Courage” is, and we aren’t able to show Him anything, He just might ask “Was there nothing worth suffering for?”

Re the Health and Wealth Gospel - Those who claim it never claim all that Jesus promised.

*Jesus said, "Amen, I say to you, there is no one who has given up house or brothers or sisters or mother or father or children or lands for my sake and for the sake of the gospel **30 **who will not receive a hundred times more now in this present age: houses and brothers and sisters and mothers and children and lands, with persecutions, and eternal life in the age to come. *

The “health and wealth” gospel makes null Christ’s very words that we are to CARRY OUR CROSS and follow Him. It also makes null Christ’s words that we will have to suffer for the faith, and the words of the Apostles who echo Christ - Paul saying how he is buffetting his body, and making up in his body in suffering what is lacking in the sufferings of Christ.

Thanks for your replies. I felt a little irritated at my irritation, but I find that I don’t even want to talk to this lady. When I asked her if she were going to church anywhere yet, she said, “No, God wants me right where I am, doing exactly what I’m doing” I hate to say it, but I feel I have more common ground for discussion with a non-believer than with her. I certainly didn’t want to challange her and get into a debate on her shallow view of God and the spiritual life.

She’s just doing her own thing, feeling good, on a roll, and everything goin’ her way. Who am I to burst her bubble? :confused:

[quote=WhiteDove]Ugh, I just got off the phone with a lady I know. She is a born again Christian with a limited theology. I hadn’t spoken with her for awhile.

[/quote]

Well, in a sence i guess God is doing marvelous things in her life, and i’m sure she is thankful… the real test will be when life hands her a bill, lets pray she can pay it… i think the last thing any of us want is for her, or those like her to come to a mountain she can’t climb… that includes all of us… i can only say our thoughts are not God’s thoughts… Most all of us have had the wind knocked out of our sails once or twice in our lives…

don’t you just hate those “lets put it in perspective people?” :stuck_out_tongue:

that’s the only thing i can do or i will find myself digging for that splinter in her eye, all the while… well, you know the rest…

Peace… :thumbsup:

Dear Space Ghost,
How right you are, thanks. No, I wouldn’t want anything bad to happen to her. It’s just frustrating to find that you have nothing in common with another Christian. You’re right about the plank though! :o

[quote=WhiteDove]Dear Space Ghost,
How right you are, thanks. No, I wouldn’t want anything bad to happen to her. It’s just frustrating to find that you have nothing in common with another Christian. You’re right about the plank though! :o
[/quote]

hey your good people… and i certainly know you wish no harm on anyone, and everyone here knows exactly how you feel… we have all felt the same one time or another… (i often wonder how often others feel the same about us)… and as far as the plank is concerned… no board is bigger then the one i carry… i’m blind in one eye… :thumbsup:

[quote=T.A.Stobie, SFO][font=Verdana]I find that those who grow closer to God, tend to suffer more in this world.
[/quote]

I agree - it seems that the closer I seem to get the more sufferings I have to endure. Thankfully, it’s a life-long journey and I can still grow in acceptance and understanding, but knowing that (above) is comforting, I wish that all who suffer will hear these words! :slight_smile:

God does provide…but sometimes not because it is his will…but because we ask.

This is why my name is “Phoenix”. I have been knocked on my rear and crawled out of the ashes so many times! I love the prayer of Jabez…for me, it puts things in some perspective. And amazingly, every time I habitually pray that prayer, my world opens in a different way. So far it has been professionally, but at heart it is a prayer of submission to God’s will. Let Thy will be done not mine…please bless me. Expand my horizons. How many metaphors are there for horizons?

What we have to realize is that God may assist us with material poessessions if we NEED them, but he also has a hand in our professinal, personal, and spiritual lives. I have seen a pattern…God has always given us (meaning my family, as well as myself when I moved away from home) what we needed. I haven’t always seen where money came from or how I managed to pay bills, obtain various successess, etc, but somehow things have worked out. God does provide, but he does requre something from us…that we at least try to follow his will.

I was seperated from the church for a long time, but still a believer. I never abandoned my Bible, I always prayed, especially when in crisis, and I didn’t realize until I really hit bottome and submitted to God’s will that he was there all along.

I believe that God’s response to our will is this: “OK, my child, I know what you WANT, so go ahead and do it, get it out of your system. Just to help you realize your lie to yourself, I’ll open the doors. That way you won’t suffer for no purpose. But when you realize that I’m right, come on back and I’ll show you the right way to do things.”

God is really our father and acts as one. How many parents actually allow their children to “get away” with what they think is their will, only so the littel ones will learn?

I believe your friend will learn this same thing. Pray for her. You may have nothing in common now, but she will learn that God is not about material possessions bot Grace, and will provide when things and graces are NEEDED.

I didn’t have a way to church or anyplace else for that matter. I prayed and asked God for a car…and told him I would use it to go to Mass.

Someone GAVE me a car. And I haven’t missed mass since I got it… :slight_smile:

dream wanderer

[quote=dream wanderer]Someone GAVE me a car. And I haven’t missed mass since I got it… :slight_smile:
[/quote]

Mass transportation!

[/quote]

In my opinion, it’s just dumb luck.

Well with wealth there is that whole ‘camel through the eye of a neddle’ thing…:slight_smile:

A lot of very bad people have been very fortunate in this realm.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.