God will simply judge us according to our faith in Jesus Christ

[quote=HJProtestant]The Wow…this is eye opening! I had no idea there was any such thing. I am learning that like Protestantism, Catholics have all sorts of flavors, too. So, do you still think all these flavors are still under the umbrella of one “true Church”? Or perhaps you believe like I do that each person, no matter what church they go to, will be judged by God individually. We won’t be wearing signs on our chests that say, “Catholic” or “Baptist” or “Pentecostal”. God will simply judge us according to our faith in Jesus Christ.
[/quote]

I am glad you are learning about Catholicism, HJP. Yes there are all flavors of Catholics, but one faith. Of course, since there is only one church, all true believers are part of it. Yes I do believe that each person is judged by God individually, but no, I do not believe that God will simply judge us according to our faith in Jesus Christ. Even the demons “believe” in Jesus.

What will you be judged on?

Wow…this is eye opening! I had no idea there was any such thing. I am learning that like Protestantism, Catholics have all sorts of flavors, too. So, do you still think all these flavors are still under the umbrella of one “true Church”? Or perhaps you believe like I do that each person, no matter what church they go to, will be judged by God individually. We won’t be wearing signs on our chests that say, “Catholic” or “Baptist” or “Pentecostal”. God will simply judge us according to our faith in Jesus Christ.

Faith is obedience. Lack of faith is lack of obedience. God will judge us by our obedience or our lack of obedience. Remaining outside the Catholic Church is, for some (only God can read their hearts) a lack of obedience.

Actually, if you go by the actual description of the Last Judgment given by Jesus in Matthew 25:31ff, we will be judged by how we treated others in this life.

Of course, that is not a nuanced theology of either Catholicism or protestantism, but it does come right from the scripture.

If this was a reply to my post, I offer John 3:36

“He who believes in the Son has eternal life; he who does not obey the Son shall not see life, but the wrath of God rests upon him.”

Many, many factors involved in judgement are given, faith only being one.

John 6:53-58
Truly, truly, I say to you, unless you eat the flesh of the Son of man and drink his blood, you have no life in you; 54 he who eats my flesh and drinks my blood has eternal life, and I will raise him up at the last day. 55 For my flesh is food indeed, and my blood is drink indeed. 56 He who eats my flesh and drinks my blood abides in me, and I in him. 57 As the living Father sent me, and I live because of the Father, so he who eats me will live because of me. 58 This is the bread which came down from heaven, not such as the fathers ate and died; he who eats this bread will live for ever."

We will be judged on our Faith. Period.

But… Faith is not simply believing as the devils did. Faith is holding to Jesus’ promises, the obedience that He talks about, following the Church that He left behind.

That’s Faith!!!

Salvation by Faith and communion?

Yes. Faith that works.

Well, women also have an extra advantage…

1 Tim 2:15
15 Yet woman will be saved through bearing children, if she continues in faith and love and holiness, with modesty."

Since men don’t have a uterus, then they have to take some other route. :smiley:

Actually, it was a reply to the original post, and ultimately a reply to the quoted post from HJP. In the never ending faith vs works debate, I just wanted to point out that Jesus, in speaking of the last judgment, appears to come down on the side of works.

But that of course, is neither Catholic belief, nor mine. But the nuances of ‘grace alone’ often get lost in the faith / works dichotomy.

Jesus, at least, considered works very important!

1 Peter 3:20-21
when God’s patience waited in the days of Noah, during the building of the ark, in which a few, that is, eight persons, were saved through water. 21 Baptism, which corresponds to this, now saves you, not as a removal of dirt from the body but as an appeal to God for a clear conscience,

One of those works being baptism!

Hmmm, I guess women who cant have kids are really up the creek! :rolleyes:

Seemingly so. However, there are always widows and orphans!

James 1:27
27 Religion that is pure and undefiled before God and the Father is this: to visit orphans and widows in their affliction, and to keep oneself unstained from the world.

Sorry, that verse describes those helping widows and orphans. Nothing about sterile women or nuns.

What are the nuances of ‘grace alone’?

Hi,
Why dont we go straight to the source:thumbsup:

Revelations 20:11–15

**Rev 20:11 ¶ And I saw a great white throne, and him that sat on it, from whose face the earth and the heaven fled away; and there was found no place for them.

Rev 20:12 And I saw the dead, small and great, stand before God; and the books were opened: and another book was opened, which is [the book] of life: and the dead were judged out of those things which were written in the books, according to their works.

Rev 20:13 And the sea gave up the dead which were in it; and death and hell delivered up the dead which were in them: and they were judged every man according to their works. ** Rev **20:14 And death and hell were cast into the lake of fire. This is the second death. ** First death meaning our physical death. But Im sure you guys already knew that.:o

**Rev 20:15 And whosoever was not found written in the book of life was cast into the lake of fire. **

It looks like we are all going to be judged by our works/deeds. The only difference I see between heaven and hell is whether or not your name is in the book of life.

So how does one get their name in the book of life. DARE I SAY IT!!!

Belief and FAITH in Jesus Christ as Your Savior. The bible pretty much tells us that leading up to Revelations:shrug:

The only thing that seperates our deeds is who is doing them WITH faith in Christ and who is doing them(good or bad) without FAITH in Christ.
So it seems the pivotal word here is FAITH.:smiley: :wink:

Surely you are not implying that the book of Revelation is the source, but the words of Jesus quoted in Matthew 25 are not.

Jesus, in telling of the last judgment, seems to make everything depend on works. Those who have them enter his kingdom, those who do not, are condemned.

Guanaphore points out John 6:53-58, where Jesus promises eternal life to those who receive his body and blood in the Eucharist.

VociMike cites John 3:36 which condemns those who do not obey the Son. Obedience is a work.

Guanaphore also cites 1 Tim 2:15 which seems to indicate that “woman will be saved through bearing children,” and also James 1:27 to the effect that “pure and undefiled religion” consists in visiting widows and orphans.

Grace is a free gift of God, yet it requires acceptance by human beings. So grace is an unmerited gift, offered to all. Yet it is not conferred unless the human will accepts it. God does not force our will, so in essence, a human “work” of acceptance is required.

But that is far from the only nuance. Entire books have been written about the subject.

All that you mention falls under the category of works. :wink: So what is the issue? The source I meant was the bible. Revelations is in the bible.:thumbsup:

Revelations is clear, well, to me anyway.:shrug:

Thank heavens, there’s always the mercy of God. :slight_smile:

You are right. The book of Revelation is in the bible. :thumbsup: And in the verses you quoted, it does say that the people are judged, out of those things which were written in the books “according to their works.”

This goes along with what Jesus said in his narrative of the last judgment. In that telling, those who have refused to do good works are condemned.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.