Godfather Question?

Each of our 4 children have one Catholic godparent and one non-Catholic godparent because my entire family is protestant. The dilemma is this…my brother in-law was the Catholic godparent for my oldest son. He has now joined the Lutheran church with his wife and son. My oldest son no longer has any practicing Catholic godparents. What should we do about this? Thanks!

There really isn’t much you can do about it. You can’t add or change godparents after the baptism. All you can do is surround your child with other practicing Catholics and encourage them to be involved in your son’s life.

The non-Catholic is not canonically a godparent but a Christian Witness.

You can’t really change godparents. Trust me, I tried :wink:

You can’t “officially” have a new Godfather, but you can surround your son with other Catholics.

One of my son’s Godfathers pretty much fell off the face of the earth about a year or so after the baptism. So…while nothing “official” was changed, we told a really good Catholic friend who was spending tons of time with us that we now considered him to be our son’s new Godfather. He sure lived up to that role!

Also, the Godparents chosen at Baptism do NOT have to the be same sponsors at Confirmation (and often are NOT the same people). Of my 3 boys, only 1 had his Godmother be his Confirmation sponsor. The other 2 both chose someone else.

The non-Catholics are not godparents, they are Christian witnesses.

Your brother-in-law is stil your child’s godparent. If he is no longer practicing the faith, find someone who is to be their spiritual mentor.

And, when your child is older, help them select a faithful, practicing Catholic to be their confirmation sponsor.

you can’t change history, they remain his godparents. What you can do is take steps to befriend and form solid relationships with good Catholic families, perhaps through your child’s school, CCD or the parish so he has good examples of Catholic living before him to help you in raising him in the faith.

I heard the godfather can not refuse a request on the day of his daughters wedding… :smiley:

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.