Godparent advice

My best friend from childhood recently had her first child and I am his proud godmother! :smiley:
The bad news is, I live in Virginia and they are moving to Florida for a few years. Any advice about how to be a good godparent, even long-distance? The local Catholic bookstores have all kinds of fantastic children’s religious books and artwork, so I am not at a loss for gift ideas. But how should I cultivate an actual relationship with him in the future?

It’s simple. Call, e-mail, write and Pray. Don’t just do all these on special days (i.e. Advent(christmas), Birthdays and so on. Try to do it maybe twice an week. Pray for your godchild daily, your prayers will be heard. Funny thing is that my kids Godparents are only a couple miles away and they don’t even bother of picking up the phone. I have my kids call them and talk to them. I thought it was the other way around. :confused:

[quote=On my way]It’s simple. Call, e-mail, write and Pray. Don’t just do all these on special days (i.e. Advent(christmas), Birthdays and so on. Try to do it maybe twice an week. Pray for your godchild daily, your prayers will be heard. Funny thing is that my kids Godparents are only a couple miles away and they don’t even bother of picking up the phone. I have my kids call them and talk to them. I thought it was the other way around. :confused:
[/quote]

I know what you mean. I’ve pretty much given up on my children’s godparents but I know they do pray for them which is the most important thing.

I’m no-one’s godmother but if I was, I’d pray for the child and send them birthday and Christmas cards and maybe a card on the anniversary of their baptism as well, maybe with a little sacramental.

My granddaughter’s godmother down in the southwest, who is also my (adult) daughter’s godmother, sends her little charge storybooks on tape on a regular basis. Some of them are just for fun, but some are Catholic. She makes the tapes herself, and includes things about the little one she’s heard in email, etc.

I agree with everyone else: call as often as possible, pray for them always, and as they’re growing up, let them know they can come to you for any thing. The relationship between a Godparent and Godchild is so special. I don’t see my Godmother very often, but when I do see her or just talk to her, my day is a little brighter.

I’m so sorry to hear they’re moving away. I don’t know what I would do if my little Godchild moved away. I love him so much.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.