Godparents for non-Catholics

This has most likely been brought up already…
My wife and I are trying to live authentic Catholic lives and instill those values on our 2 children. We have close friends who are expecting their first child. They are non-demoninational Christians. I am worried they might ask us to be godparents. Is that allowed? I could only promise to raise and support a Catholic upbringing to the child. Ho do I handle this?
Thank you and God Bless!

Canon law has this to say. :slight_smile:

Can. 873 There is to be only one male sponsor or one female sponsor or one of each.

Can. 874 §1. To be permitted to take on the function of sponsor a person must:

1/ be designated by the one to be baptized, by the parents or the person who takes their place, or in their absence by the pastor or minister and have the aptitude and intention of fulfilling this function;

2/ have completed the sixteenth year of age, unless the diocesan bishop has established another age, or the pastor or minister has granted an exception for a just cause;

3/ be a Catholic who has been confirmed and has already received the most holy sacrament of the Eucharist and who leads a life of faith in keeping with the function to be taken on;

4/ not be bound by any canonical penalty legitimately imposed or declared;

5/ not be the father or mother of the one to be baptized.

§2. A baptized person who belongs to a non-Catholic ecclesial community is not to participate except together with a Catholic sponsor and then only as a witness of the baptism.

No, you cannot be the god-parent of a non-Catholic.

If asked, just politely decline.

I have yet to meet a non-denom Christian who believes in infant baptism and typically when baptized, they do not have a sponsor or godparent.

If they do ask you to sponsor the child, gratefully decline the invite.

Johndigger posted the part of canon law that relates to godparents for a Catholic child. The part that may be most relevant here is this:

§2. A baptized person who belongs to a non-Catholic ecclesial community is not to participate except together with a Catholic sponsor and then only as a witness of the baptism.

If you turn it around, it would seem that it would be OK for you to be a witness of the baptism, but not the godparent for the child. As a Catholic you couldn’t take on the godparent’s role of helping to raise the child in his or her faith.

My dh’s family is Presbretyrian (sp?) and they do practice infant (babies not necessarily newborns) baptism. We served as “Godparents” for one of our nieces, but have not been asked or expected to do anything other than look nice on the day of the baptism.

In our case, I didn’t know any better and my dh had not converted to Catholicism. His sister’s family is now going through very rough times and I pray regularly for my Goddaughter.

this was answered recently on AAA

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.