godparents

hello, my friend is prego and she wants me to be the godmother… however i have some questions on if i can be… i am only 15, however i have a job and if anything happend to her i would be able to provide and take good care of the child. is there a certain age you must be to be a godparent? also i have been baptized and had my first comunion, however i have not had a confermation… is there any religious things i need to qualify to be a godmother? please give me what ever info you can. thank you

Canon Law provides that Godparents must be at least 16 years of age, a practicing Catholic and have received their Confirmation. Also being a godparent does not mean you have any legal responsibilities for the child unless a parent expresses it in their will to make you guardian in the event of their death.

I am sorry, but you just don’t qualify yet, but that does not mean you should not support your friend. However, I hope your friend, if she is a teen mother is getting help from her parents, Catholic counseling, Catholic charities if necessary or a Catholic crisis pregnancy center.

[quote=deathsentence89]hello, my friend is prego and she wants me to be the godmother… however i have some questions on if i can be… i am only 15, however i have a job and if anything happend to her i would be able to provide and take good care of the child. is there a certain age you must be to be a godparent? also i have been baptized and had my first comunion, however i have not had a confermation… is there any religious things i need to qualify to be a godmother? please give me what ever info you can. thank you
[/quote]

You can suggest that the mother speak with her pastor. You could stand with, sort of like a Christian Witness would, a qualified Catholic Godfather. The Pastor also has the option of asking the Bishop for permission to allow you to be the Godmother. When will you be Confirmed? When will you be 16?

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.