God's body

I am looking for passages that clearly say that God has ears, eyes, hands, legs, and the like.

I do not have the time to do the work.

I am hoping that one of you great people have already compiled a list.

THANKS

Well…there is the gospels which state that Jesus was a man and presumably had all of the above. If you are saying God the Father has those physical characteristics, then this would not be correct as God the Father does not have a human body, he is pure spirit.

Here’s an article that seems to sum it up pretty well. I want to emphasize its proofs that the “body” passages are metaphors, and add these two proofs that God does not actually have a body:

“God is spirit.” John 4:24

“A spirit has not flesh and bones.” Luke 24:39We have seen that God is defined as spirit and a spirit does not have a physical form. But there are passages in the Bible that seem to indicate that God does possess a body.

Eyes

The Bible says that God has eyes. [INDENT]For the eyes of the Lord run to and fro throughout the whole earth, to show Himself strong on behalf of those whose heart is loyal to Him (2 Chronicles 16:9). Arms

Scripture speaks of the arms of God. And remember that you were a slave in the land of Egypt, and that the Lord your God brought you out from there with a mighty hand and by an outstretched arm (Deuteronomy 5:15). Hands

The Bible records God speaking about His own hands. All day long I have held out my hands to an obstinate people, who walk in ways not good, pursuing their own imaginations (Isaiah 65:2) Fingers

Scripture attributes finger to God. The magicians said to Pharaoh, “This is the finger of God.” But Pharaoh’s heart was hard and he would not listen, just as the LORD had said (Exodus 8:19). Feet

The Bible says that God has feet. You made him ruler over the works of your hands; you put everything under his feet: (Psalm 8:6) These Are Not To Be Taken Literally

These verses are not to be taken literally. They are known as anthropomorphism (assigning human characteristics to God). The descriptions are to be understood as metaphors that describe in finite human terms, the characteristics of the infinite God. Humankind can better understand and identify with God when He is described as having an outstretched arm, eyes that see everywhere, a mighty hand.

It Would Be A Strange Looking Being

If one wishes to take these references to God’s character literally then they will wind up with a very interesting-looking being. Consider these verses:

Feathers And Wings

The psalmist speaks of the feathers and wings of God. He shall cover you with his feathers, and under his wings you shall trust (Psalm 91:4). Sword For A Tongue

John wrote about God’s tongue is like a sword. He had in his right hand seven stars, out of his mouth went a sharp two-edged sword (Revelation 1:16). A Door

Jesus said that He was a door. Jesus said: “I am the door” (John 10:9). Fire

The writer to the Hebrews stated: For our God is a consuming fire (Hebrews 12:29). By taking these verses literally God would look like a bird, have a sword for a tongue, would be made of wood, and would function as a furnace!

Summary

In many passages in Scripture God is described as having bodily parts. The Bible describes God’s eyes, arms, hand, fingers, and feet. These images are not to be understood literally. The technical term for them is anthropomorphism. This is the attributing of physical characteristics to God. Rather than literal descriptions of God’s Person, they are rather descriptive pictures that the Bible uses to help us better understand the varied character of God. source[/indent]

Sorry Jim but why would anyone have complied such a list? I don’t see how something like would impact in any way our faith or salvation?

You often ask us to give you a lot and always say you don’t have time. Why don’t YOU have time.

damr 198 thank you!

thistle

I know a great lady who is Southern Baptist.

She believes that God the Father has arms, legs, face and feet.

If there are three in one–Father, Word, and Holy Spirit, then God has many arms and legs.

She is a great lady of faith. I have never pushed her to address such things.

Young people and old know that God is a Spirit.

Young and old know that the Bible says God has arms and legs.

How can this be reconciled?

Our Catholic faith says that all of these are ideas that fall short, infinitely short, of the Godhead’s actual BEING.

I am a high school religion teacher and I am sixty years old.

When I present these ideas to the young and old, it causes confusion. They are perplexed, flummoxed, and bewildered; and this is rightly so.

I have always looked for ways to comprehend this and explain it.

As of my time, I earn about 48 k per year as a teacher; I have five young children; I have a small part-time job. Ergo–no time.

THANK YOU FOR YOUR PATIENCE.

The entire Bible is a comparison.

We have eyes to see, thus the Revelation says God has eyes. It is merely a comparison. He does not have eyes like my physical eyes; they are not eyes the size of planet earth or the sun or the largest of any stars. He does see us; it is similar to us when we see there are 300 degrees in a circle, and half a circle is 180 degree; blind people can see or understand that. This is an analogy which fails infinitely.

I am out of time.

Again, I apologize for asking for favors.

I am thankful for the help of dmar198.

I am thankful for the many times you have shared your helpful ideas, wisdom and insights.

THANKS!

dmar198

My goodness, your work is just what I needed.

I cannot thank you enough.

God bless!

No problem, glad I could help.

dmar198

WOW!

I clicked your “source,” and found that it came from BLB.

This, too, was great news!

The ecumenical points power of such a source is absolutely beautiful.

AGAIN, THANKS!

Again, your welcome. Geez, you’re making me blush. :blush:

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.