God's call...irrevocable

How to answer the OSAS crowd on Romans 11:29?

“For God’s gifts and his call are irrevocable”

How do they know that they are called? Could they be fooling themselves? Cite an example of someone who thinks they are saved, then falls into complete apostacy. What’s the response? They were never really saved, even though they had complete conviction that they were. So, once again, could they be fooling themselves?

God Bless,
RyanL

[quote=Sugar Ray]How to answer the OSAS crowd on Romans 11:29?

“For God’s gifts and his call are irrevocable”
[/quote]

Short answer, read Romans 11:22 :wink:

To use this verse as a justification for OSAS, is a severe case of proof testing. Look at the verse in the context of the whole passage (which is in turn part of a larger argument presented in Romans chapter 9–11):

I do not want you to be unaware of this mystery, brothers, so that you will not become wise (in) your own estimation: a hardening has come upon Israel in part, until the full number of the Gentiles comes in, and thus all Israel will be saved, as it is written: “The deliverer will come out of Zion, he will turn away godlessness from Jacob; and this is my covenant with them when I take away their sins.” In respect to the gospel, they are enemies on your account; but in respect to election, they are beloved because of the patriarchs. For the gifts and the call of God are irrevocable.

So, in context, Paul is talking about the mystery that the Jews did not (wholesale, as a nation) embrace Jesus as the Messiah, but that God still has plans for them, before salvation history is through, to in some manner bring them into an acceptance of the Gospel.

Always keep in mind: A Scripture text out of context is a pretext.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.