God's Mercy Always There?

So - I have been thinking a lot about this - and something today in the reading at mass prompted me to go ahead and ask the question.

Their sins and their evildoing
I will remember no more.
Where there is forgiveness of these, there is no longer offering for sin.
Hebrews 10: 17-18

I get the whole - you go to confession with contrition and your sins are forgiven. Done deal.

I also have heard that once you make these confessions - that God actually forgets these sins… such as from above passage.

I have learned a lot recently about God’s mercy. But I find myself somewhat confused about some things…maybe I am relying too much on semantics here.

Whenever I am hit with any feelings of sadness, anger, guilt, and so forth about my past choices - I try to immediately reflect on His mercy. I remember that His mercy is always there - for all of us. I draw upon these thoughts to help me to rid myself of all that pain, when it comes up.

As I have been frequenting mass more - when we call to mind our sins at the beginning and right before communion when we say “Lord, I am not worthy to receive you…” - I feel that I am always calling to mind and thinking about my painful past.

So I guess what I am trying to get at is that I feel I am constantly drawing upon God’s mercy to continue to ease my pain and give me healing - however - if God has already forgotten what I have done, is what I am doing wrong? Or maybe better stated - is there even mercy available for a sin that is forgiven/forgotten?

God has forgiven you; be assured of that.

The problem is that sometimes we have a hard time forgiving ourselves.

It’s something like surgery. The surgeon removes the diseased parts, but the scar may remain for a while. Over time, it will fade. You are doing well to recall God’s mercy whenever you are bothered by memories of past sin. This will help the healing process. Right now, since the disease of your sin has already been removed, God’s mercy is working to help the scars fade.

Even if we were practically sinless, we would still be unworthy of God. He is infinite; we are His poor creatures. Even though they have not “sinned,” we consider rats, ants, and cockroaches “unworthy” to dwell in our homes, and if we find them there we try to get rid of them. God is much more merciful. Even though He is much greater than we are, He is pleased to dwell with us, His creatures.

Megan,
By what you describe, it sounds like you are having difficulty forgiving yourself. This is a very common human condition which is lacking in very few individuals. None of us have the infinite attributes of God. We are all limited.

Once God forgives, it is total and complete. This is why we say that to forgive, we must forget. Forgiveness for us is difficult, yet we pray, “Forgive us our trespasses, as we forgive those who trespass against us.” We often hear people say, "I can never forgive you - this - that, whatever. Yet how do we say this and then pray the Our Father.

The best way to overcome this tendency is to learn to totally rely on God’s mercy and to have complete trust in him. For myself, I once had a confessor who always ended the confession with “Trust in God’s mercy”. It took me a long time for this to sink in and really realize its meaning and significance. When we finally understand this, we realize the enormity of his love, mercy and forgiveness for us and the reward which he has in store for us who prevail.
Prayers & blessings
Deacon Ed B

Hello,

This is an interesting question.

When I say, “Lord, I am not worthy to receive you…,” not only do I quickly examine my conscience (often to find some vice or fault or even unconfessed venial sin committed within the past couple of days) but I recognize that even if I have a clear conscience at that moment that I’m still a horribly sinful person. I’m in the habit now of saying an act of contrition prior to receiving the Body and Blood to further relieve any faults I may have forgotten myself but which the Lord rememers.

I am hesitant to say that I have not forgiven myself - cause I have worked really hard to stop beating myself up.

I guess I am having a hard time figuring out what it is that I am feeling - cause I do know that I have been forgiven and I am no longer angry with myself - but I have times when I struggle. I guess I just don’t know what that pain is focused to…:shrug:

Megan… hang in there, :console: I too, know the feeling you’re describing. I think this is quite common, especially for the scrupulous soul.

One way… in which I deal with it… is to believe that with these painful memories, I will become more humble. I have often read that humility is the most important of all virtues. Because from humility, the other virtues spring. And this is something that I need to work on, constantly.

I don’t know if my experience is helpful to you. But I will pray for you. Just always remember… Jesus LOVES you! :heart: He is Head over Heels… crazy in LOVE with all of us! That is why He died for us. And He wants us with Him for all eternity. God bless you.

MV :slight_smile:

Thanks MV…that does help.

I think what I am feeling is continued grief…I am sad and miss my child. And this is normal and has nothing to do with beating myself up - or forgiveness - although it is linked because if I wouldn’t have made certain choices my child may still be here.

I guess I am just trying to remember that those feelings are seperate.

The easiest thing for me to do is to think of God’s mercy when I am filled with grief - cause it helps.

Thus I am back to my original question - maybe reflecting and focusing on His mercy isn’t the right approach.

I think, honestly, that it sounds like the perfect approach!
Also: tell Him this! Jesus wants us to come to Him like little children to their mothers. Tell Him all about this, about the troubles you’re having. Tell Him that it’s hard to forgive yourself. Ask for His help.

Also, try saying a Divine Mercy chaplet sometimes. Particularly before Mass, if you’re having trouble during Mass with these things. It takes about 5 - 10 minutes, and it will work wonders.

This is EXCELLENT advice from “pentecostbaby”! The Divine Mercy Chaplet is so wonderful… I think this could really prove “healing” for you, Megan. Because His Divine Mercy… speaks of His Divine Love! God bless you.

I second, third, fourth and fifth this idea.

I didn’t read all the replies but it sounds like you have to forgive yourself. If God has forgiven and forotten your sins as St Margaret Mary had revealed to her by our Lord, after a good confession then shouldn’t you do he same.
Also, when we’re told to call to mind our sins at the start of mass this only refers to our unconfessed venial sins since our last onfession. You are forgiven your venial sins here if you do it properly and are thus prepared to make a good holy comunion without even the stain of a venial sin on your soul. God bless.:slight_smile:

closed #12

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.