God's mercy and justice

Maybe this is a confusing question… I’m not sure how to say it.

I’ve been trying to understand about God’s justice and mercy… so we know that He is both just and merciful :slight_smile: I read in “Divine Mercy in My Soul” that Jesus is offering to us His mercy, which is endless, but if we reject it, there is nothing left but judgement. That made sense to me. But I am thinking, - let’s say we were to meet Jesus… would it be apparent that He is both just and merciful? Or would one or the other of His attributes be shown to us more (perhaps depending on our disposition)? I know this is a VERY hypothetical question and we don’t really know… but I was reading in the lives of the Saints, how often when Jesus appeared to them, He was very kind and merciful, but sometimes He was more stern - I guess that’s the word…? His mercy does not change, so I guess at times He let’s us see one of His attributes, and at another time, another attribute? I know this question might be confusing…but what do you think? Im kind of wondering…let’s say if a person were to see Jesus in Heaven, (I’m not really talking about visions of Him on earth because most people don’t have this and it’s not something most of us can relate to, and we shouldn’t seek such extraordinary graces anyway) - but in Heaven, would Jesus appear to a person as very merciful, because they are saved?

the reason I’m asking this is because - in speaking to people, everyone seems to have a different perception of Jesus. Some are drawn to thinking of Him as being very kind and merciful, others see Him more as our King and Lord. Of course, He is all these things :slight_smile: but since we are human and can only comprehend one thing at a time, we can’t see all His attributes at once, perhaps. But if a person were to actually meet Jesus, - I realize this is very hypothetical - would we understand how His different attributes all go together?

I believe Jesus is merciful above all.

A good example to look at is this parable of Jesus -

“Therefore the kingdom of heaven may be compared to a king who wished to settle accounts with his servants. When he began the reckoning, one was brought to him who owed him ten thousand talents; and as he could not pay, his lord ordered him to be sold, with his wife and children and all that he had, and payment to be made. So the servant fell on his knees, imploring him, Lord, have patience with me, and I will pay you everything.' **And out of pity for him the lord of that servant released him and forgave him the debt** (*God showing mercy to someone who has done injustice to God*). But that same servant, as he went out, came upon one of his fellow servants who owed him a hundred denarii; and seizing him by the throat he said, Pay what you owe.’ So his fellow servant fell down and besought him, Have patience with me, and I will pay you.' He refused and went and put him in prison till he should pay the debt. When his fellow servants saw what had taken place, they were greatly distressed, and they went and reported to their lord all that had taken place. Then his lord summoned him and said to him, You wicked servant! I forgave you all that debt because you besought me; and should not you have had mercy on your fellow servant, as I had mercy on you?’ And in anger his lord delivered him to the jailers, till he should pay all his debt (God dealing justly with a person who has shown no mercy to his neighbor). So also my heavenly Father will do to every one of you, if you do not forgive your brother from your heart.”

(Matthew 18:23-35)

The bottom line is, if we have shown mercy, then mercy will be shown to us, but if not, we shall be dealt with justly.

“For judgment is without mercy to one who has shown no mercy; yet mercy triumphs over judgment.” (James 2:13)

So depending upon how we have behaved, we shall see either the merciful side of Jesus or the just side of Jesus.

As I reflect on this, some more things come to my mind -

Man sinned against God. Justice demanded that he be punished, but God decided to offer mercy and sent his Son Jesus to restore man to God, without man having to do anything on his own to obtain that mercy. This is similar to the lord who forgave the ten thousand talents’ worth debt that his servant owed him. The lord suffered loss, in order to forgive the servant. In the same way, Christ suffered for our sake so that we could be offered forgiveness. We didn’t have to “do” anything to become Christians, most of us were simply baptized as infants. We were restored to God free of cost.

But now that forgiveness has been offered, it is our duty to be forgiving. We have been offered mercy, so now we have to be merciful. If we are not merciful, then Christ will not be merciful to us.

Jesus is love and mercy itself :slight_smile: He doesn’t execute Justice unless we push him too. Justice is his last resort. Mercy overcome justice.

This is what I learn from the Diary of St. Faustina.

When he looked like stern to some of the sisters, it isn’t justice, it is his loving hand as a father that sometimes rebukes some of his children.

That’s to my perception

I think, to be in the presence of Jesus, would be to be in the presence of Love. And that love contains or encompasses justice, mercy, truth, etc. Nothing about Him can be at odds with love. But, to the extent that something about ourselves is still at odds with love-is inconsistent with love- I think our own consciences would probably cause us pain. To the extent that our wills are aligned with His will, to the extent the truth is in us- that we love as He does- then there would be no injustice in us-and so no guilt.

God wants us to place love-to place Him-above all else. His mercy and forgiveness is His love in action, allowing us to approach Him in spite of our sins. But His justice is also His love in action, seeking to restore His creation to the order He designed it to have, seeking to keep us from sinning again.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.