God's perfection and the world's imperfection

I realize that our world and the universe is filled with incredible order and beauty which reflects God’s design. This is incredible and awe-inspiring in itself, however, why are there flaws in certain aspects of nature like deformities, mental retardation, and viruses. We know that God is perfect but why is the world and the universe not flawless as well at least to the extent that mistakes aren’t made. In other words, why is there a perfect God but an imperfect world?

A couple of thoughts…

1. The fall. We know that this affected creation as well. It could very well be that there were no “defects” before the fall. Personally, I don’t ascribe to this notion.

2. God’s logic is a bit different than ours. If you listen to this Peter Kreeft piece, you’ll see how this is true. In weakness there is strength, and in suffering there is power. It could very well be that these “defects” are quite intentional (and therefore perfect). This is the notion to which I ascribe.

If someone has a better, more authoritative answer, please let me know.

God Bless,
RyanL

Same thought here.

Explore Virginia Stefano

Consider the beauty of a fallen and decaying leaf.

[quote=Riley259]I realize that our world and the universe is filled with incredible order and beauty which reflects God’s design. This is incredible and awe-inspiring in itself, however, why are there flaws in certain aspects of nature like deformities, mental retardation, and viruses. We know that God is perfect but why is the world and the universe not flawless as well at least to the extent that mistakes aren’t made. In other words, why is there a perfect God but an imperfect world?
[/quote]

How do you know it is not exactly as it is meant to be?

a thing being inconvenient to us, does not render it imperfect.

These things appear imperfect if we assume that the universe is here to serve US.

Once we lose that perspective, things appear differently.

cheddar

[quote=Riley259]why is the world and the universe not flawless
[/quote]

That’s your whole mistake right there.

It is flawless.

So the answer to your question is: consider in what sense the presence of what you call anomalies express the perfection of the universe.

Some thoughts off the top of my head: variety and diversity are essential to sustaining life here on earth. Natural features such as coastlines and trees that appear random and senseless have on closer inspection the most orderly forms, as shown by modern fractal geometry.

What we know could fit on the head of a pin. It’s best to look at the universe humbly, as a student.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.