God's plan for Israel separate from the church?

I believe this is another issue were the Protestants I grew up with and Rome are divided. In dispensationalist thinking as well as in SBC and Assemblies of God preaching God has a separate plan for Israel. Often they speak of a prophecy of Israel accepting Christ as a nation-corporately speaking-there is debate over every last Jew or not. What I am interested to hear is what does the Church of Rome say- does God have a plan for the Jews not tied to their conversion? If not then what did Paul mean when he said that God would never forsake the Jews or that Jewishness was still valuable? I would be interested if any Hebrew Catholics spoke on this thread giving their personal opinion on the matter.

I’m not a Hebrew Catholic; hopefully if there are some they will reply.

I know the Protestant denominations that have a strong focus on end times place a lot of emphasis on Romans 11:25 – mainly because they tie it in with the end times as a necessary sign.

In Catholocism, we absolutely believe in our Lord’s second coming at the end of the world; we profess it every Sunday in the creed at Mass. But our teaching is mainly given to our personal “end times”; how to live in conformity with God’s will so that our “end time” will be heaven. :slight_smile: )

The “Church of Rome” accepts all of Scripture, but to my knowledge there are no official doctrines further explaining or clarifying the meaning of Romans 11:25. The passage is just accepted. The Catechism of the Catholic Church contains the following: 674 The glorious Messiah’s coming is suspended at every moment of history until his recognition by “all Israel”, for “a hardening has come upon part of Israel” in their “unbelief” toward Jesus. St. Peter says to the Jews of Jerusalem after Pentecost: “Repent therefore, and turn again, that your sins may be blotted out, that times of refreshing may come from the presence of the Lord, and that he may send the Christ appointed for you, Jesus, whom heaven must receive until the time for establishing all that God spoke by the mouth of his holy prophets from of old.” St. Paul echoes him: “For if their rejection means the reconciliation of the world, what will their acceptance mean but life from the dead?” The “full inclusion” of the Jews in the Messiah’s salvation, in the wake of “the full number of the Gentiles”, will enable the People of God to achieve “the measure of the stature of the fullness of Christ”, in which “God may be all in all”.

vatican.va/archive/ENG0015/_P1V.HTM#HA

Anytime we as Catholics discuss Israel or Judaism
we must recall our own descendancy from Abraham.
Here is an excellent more modern article about
Jewish/catholic relations:
catholicworldreport.com/Item/597/the_people_of_god_with_israel.aspx#.UuNuVYk76c0

In the book The Spiritual Vision of Pope Benedict
the Pope clearly states “all of Israel will be saved.”

God’s plan for Israel was that they give Jesus to the world. They were chosen for this purpose (thus, they are the chosen people). God’s plan for Israel has been fulfilled. There is no “plan” for modern Israel.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.