Gods saving plan question

I have a question regarding the definite plan of god, the st ignatius study bible says

The collaboration of jewish and roman authorities to execute jesus was part of a divine program for our salvation.

This I believe.

However, when the authorities and jews did not believe in jesus he was very harsh, often saying they wil receive punishment. which i agree with as well.

and judas is the son of perdition for selling out jesus.

Now did they commit these acts under free will? or were they merely a tool that god controlled in order for the blood on the cross to be shed? if this is the case it is almost as if god “controlled” them to their doom, and how can that be if it is not gods will that any man suffer

can someone explain

God knows whether or not we will choose to reject him or betray him. Eternity is not linear and those acts were part of God’s plan, because God knew the choices these individuals would make and he uses all actions, even evil, to eventually lead to the good. These people had free will, and our Omniscient Creator knew what choices they would make. Omniscience doesn’t contradict free will.

so even before they were born he knew they would make those choices?

as well as he knows every decision you will make in your life since before you were born…:smiley:

I’m not an apologist! :o

But, of course God knew. He is All-Knowing (omniscient). One good Bible reference to this is Jeremiah 1:5.

“Before I formed you in the womb, I knew you, and before you were born I consecrated you; I appoint you a prophet to the nations.”

God knows all that you or I have done or will do, too!

Maybe someone who knows where a reference in the Catechism to God’s attributes (all-knowing, all-powerful, etc) will give you that reference. Otherwise I just might look it up myself!

so our choices have been made already? and he already knows whether we are going to heaven or hell? how is this possible with free will…

so our fate is already sealed?

I am having a hard time grasping this concept, and i woud like to see it in a positive manner because the pains of hell is not where i want to go and i would like the best easiest and safest way to heaven thanks

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.