Gods Will Or Not

I See People Asking The Same Questions Over And
Over Again, Just Using Different Words, Trying To
Get Some People To Agree With Them.
Abortion, Same Sex Partners, Birth Control,
Masterbation, And The Like.
Bottom Line— Don’t Do It. It’s Not God’s Will.
You Offend God , Yourself, And All Other Humans.

Your Thoughts?

Well, yeah, but the people who are saying and doing that either don’t believe in God, or only understand Him as the bellhop god (God please do this please do that). That’s what the problem is.

I think it’s all cafeteria Christianity.

“Hey, gimme a scoop of pro-life, okay? No, no! Keep that stupid papal infallibility off my plate! I’ll take a side of faith and another one of good works. Nahh, skip the bit on premarital sex today, huh? Okay, ring it up. Just charge it to my account.”

:banghead:

[quote=The_Angelus]I think it’s all cafeteria Christianity.

“Hey, gimme a scoop of pro-life, okay? No, no! Keep that stupid papal infallibility off my plate! I’ll take a side of faith and another one of good works. Nahh, skip the bit on premarital sex today, huh? Okay, ring it up. Just charge it to my account.”

:banghead:
[/quote]

A smart cafeteria Catholic would have a helping of that bit about premarital sex, because those who don’t believe this are so going the wrong way compared to natural law they don’t even realize it.

The infallibility thing does not involve natural law so I think they can show some ambivalence without losing out on an important vitamin.

Alan

[quote=CLW001]I See People Asking The Same Questions Over And

Your Thoughts?
[/quote]

As far as I’m concerned, if you offend God, that’s bad. If you offend yourself, that’s bad. If you offend other humans, tough. They are sinners too, and unless you are trying to defend them or being specifically hostile toward their beliefs “in your face” then they need to chill out. Their being offended does nothing good for either me or them.

Alan

These questions are relevant, because they have to do with everyday living. Abortion and same sex marriage are big topics today, although every Catholic should stand against these issues. But not all people are Catholic and so come to this board with questions, which I do understand. Let us try to give them an answer in Christian love.

What I want to know is, is there anyway to thwart God’s will from being done?

Even when Judas betrayed Jesus, was that not God’s will since Jesus prayed that His Father’s will be done in preference to his own desires?

Why do we pray “God’s will be done” on earth? Are we praying that God can manage to exercise His will, that we will keep remembering to submit to His will, or declaring that we understand that natural law is such that His will is always done.

If that’s the case, than as far as I’m concerned, anything that has happened in the past must have been God’s will because it is something I have to accept without any possibility to change it – even if I regret what I did I cannot change it. That doesn’t mean I get away with it, just that I should not let past sins could my mind so that I have no hope for the future.

Alan

[quote=CLW001]I See People Asking The Same Questions Over And

Your Thoughts?
[/quote]

There is only one Authentic teaching of the Church, anything else is heterodox.

No, God’s will is not fixed in stone. This is proven by Abraham pleading with God about sparing Lot and his family granting Hezekiah a longer life than normal. God’s will is moved by prayer and repentance from man.

[quote=justcatholic]No, God’s will is not fixed in stone. This is proven by Abraham pleading with God about sparing Lot and his family granting Hezekiah a longer life than normal. God’s will is moved by prayer and repentance from man.
[/quote]

This gets into the very confusing topics of predestination and foreordination.

Basically, from the beginning of time, God knew everything we were going to ask, and He sort of decided then how to answer our prayers. Calvanists will say that our prayers don’t have any effect because God already decided everything He is going to do. This is only half true. He did decide what He would do, but He did so based on hearing our prayers, He just heard them way back before He made us.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.