God's Will

We pray for obedience to God’s Will; but, how can we tell if what we are doing is really God’s Will?:shrug: :gopray2:

To Mullenpm:

There have been many books and articles written
about this subject. But some basic concepts. To do God’s Will
must be receptive to what that may be. Then should be in
continual prayer and open to what God wants. What does he
want at the current time may be hidden for a while and revealed
when the person is receptive to it. Remember Mother Theresa
received her 2nd calling when she was in her late 30’s. It is
useful to be listening in prayer as much as asking. And of
course daily reception of the Holy Eucharist opens up many
windows.
When pray must be asking for Gods grace and remember that
sometimes there is more than one path we can choose in life
that is still what he wants. One thing is very useful is to have
like a good faithful Catholic friend to bounce ideas-concepts-
faith off of. And to go further to have a spiritual director. Even
the saints had someone to talk with to grow closer to God. We
can kid ourselves at time and think God wants us to do some-
thing that is incorrect. An example-have heard of persons who
have children and husband and seriously believe they should
leave their family and do missionary work etc. Of couse that
person is kidding themselves.
Remember to do God’s will-to follow the spiritual and corporal
works of mercy. Go to daily communion. Be open always to
the truth. Listen closely when praying. And find someone deep-
ly spiritual in the Catholic faith who can guide you.
Always remember faith, hope, and love in every decision you
make in life. And the greatest of these is love.
Hope this gives you some ideas.

Timothy/Reno, Nevada

Your question reminded me of this prayer by Thomas Merton, a renowned Catholic writer.

**MY LORD GOD, I have no idea where I am going. **
**I do not see the road ahead of me. **
**I cannot know for certain where it will end. **
**Nor do I really know myself, and the fact that I think that I am following your will does not mean that I am actually doing so. **
**But I believe that the desire to please you does in fact please you. **
**And I hope I have that desire in all that I am doing. **
**I hope that I will never do anything apart from that desire. **
**And I know that if I do this you will lead me by the right road though I may know nothing about it. **
**Therefore will I trust you always though I may seem to be lost and in the shadow of death. **
**I will not fear, for you are ever with me, and you will never leave me to face my perils alone. **

**- Thomas Merton, “Thoughts in Solitude” **

Here’s one of the best answers I’ve ever seen to that question:

Knowing God’s Will
From Two Wills: His and Mine
by Mother Angelica

Anything that is not sinful is God’s Will…nor anything that is lacking in perfection - this is why we are all sinners since no human being is perfect. In fact, we don’t really know what perfection for any one human being may be…other than to contemplate Jesus - while Jesus lived perfectly the intrinsic events of His own life…we are called to live the intrinsic events of our own lives as if Jesus were to live them. How can we know how Jesus would have lived my or your life…through the inspirations of The Holy Spirit. This is not some vague abstraction, but a living reality for those in the state of Grace and a prayerful life creates in us a living sensitivity to the promptings and workings of The Holy Spirit. This is why it is of great importance to live prayerfully - and the state of Grace means that The Holy Spirit in The Blessed Trinity live in me. This is a stunning thought to say the least!
Over and above that, nothing that happens, nor is, is outside of either God’s Direct Will or God’s Permissive Will and pondering these two theological concepts brought to me personally great Peace re God’s Will in life. In a very brief summary of God’s Permissive Will - God allows moral wrong and evil, negative events, to happen in life because He gave us free will…over and above that our theology states that God can bring a greater good out of any moral wrong or evil, negative event, than the evil itself and this is why God does permit these wrongs, evils and negative events - because of the greater good He brings from them.
God’s Will : … (this article is not lengthy) catholicexchange.com/2007/04/10/83694/

A longer work but well worth the read is Jean Pierre de Caussade’s:
[FONT=Arial]Abandonment to Divine Providence[/FONT]

If I am wondering if my state in life is God’s Will for me, then I could consult a spiritual director. If I have any wonderings or difficulties about God’s Will, then spiritual direction is the best place to discern it all out.

"all is well, all is well
and all manner of things shall be well"
St. Julian of Norwich
…It took me years to have a breakthrough and understand what is said in those short words of a great mystic.

read Listening to God

closed #7

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.