God's wrath different?

I don’t know if this is the right place to put this but feel free to move it

I know that it wrath is considered one of the deadly sins. Yet I hear people talking about God’s wrath, specially in the old testament. I am not trying to make myself sound contradictory I was just wondering if this means that God’s wrath is different than the way that we understand it, or if it is ok for him to have wrath but not us.

This is a question that bothered me for a bit. I hear people talk about God’s wrath and yet as far as I know wrath is considered to be one of the main sins.

maybe god’s wrath is different, but maybe it isn’t. It wouldn’t be the only time God gives us rules that he doesn’t follow himself. Consider that God “murders” several people every minute.

Which effectively means that God is hypocrite…or that we have to swallow the dubious idea that the maker of the rules doesn’t have to honour them.

I think the difference in the definitions of wrath used is in the justification. The sin of wrath I feel falls under the unjustified wrath, where God, in His perfect justice, has reason to dish out “wrath” by means of punishment. I would akin this to when a parent disciplines their child when their child disobeys or does something severely wrong. The parent will obviously be upset initially, and even unleash some “wrath” upon their child. After the wrath has subsided, the parent reestablishes their love for their child.

The answer here is that the word “wrath” is an anthropomorphism - a word that Sacred Scripture has used to make the incomprehensible, comprehensible. (For example, in the book of Exodus, God is described as a “man of war”. This means that He fought on the side of the Israelites and intervened miraculously to defeat the Egyptian army; it does not mean that he is a U.S. Marine! :D)

God is without change; He is eternal, and does not experience “mood swings” or change his mind. Given this, He cannot “get angry” or “lose his temper” the way humans do.
The word “wrath” should not be taken in a human sense here, but more as a metaphor for Divine Justice and Divine Retribution. God is Love, but He is also Justice.

You can never justify revenge towards anyone, that is the anger or wrath that is not to be, one of the Seven Deadly sins…
for God holds the Mercy and Justice part to himself, to which its good to grasp for our Human wonder of a God that is great, surpassing our knowledge. of Mercy and Justice, which is a force that cannot be moved meets a force that nothing can stop.

Sair, calling God a hypocrite is a huge and terrible sin, to one as yourself of ignorance and lack of knowing its a mere consider the source phrase, to the edcuated it would be a one way ticket to Hell. . confession needs to be part of your agenda.

God’s wrath is different from the wrath of man because His wrath is righteous, in that it is based on perfect knowledge, whereas the knowledge that human wrath is based on is always imperfect, possibly because we are not God.

Anger is not a sin. *Inordinate *anger is a sin.

*Inordinate *means that there is too much of something or not a good enough reason for it. So, if you ate a pie when you were already full and had already had a pie a few minutes before, that would be an *inordinate *consumption, making it gluttony.

When God is angry, it is because there is a reason for what he does, and His action provides retribution less than or equal to the offense committed. Therefore Jesus’ fury in the Temple, in which he destroyed the sellers’ stalls, was an *ordinate *anger.

I’m well sure that’s not it.

It could just be that we don’t have the right understanding or simply that God is not subjected to what we are subjected to. It is hard to understand and that is why I posted this question.

As for God being a hypocrite that is not true

As humans we’ve all experienced our passions and emotions…love, hate, desire, indifference, envy, hunger, … But God does not have these for he is one act and there is no variation in him. “I am who I am” God said. It is hard for us to understand that he does not go from one passion to the next because he is unchangable or constant. The only thing that changes from one passion to another is us, and therefore we tend to apply what we know about ourselves to a way of thinking about God. God is not loving, because he is love, “I am who I am.” God is not angry, which implies passion, because he does not have passion, “I am who I am.” God is not disappointed because he is all knowing which makes suprises impossible, “I am who I am”.

Then why does the bible, truth itself, say that God is angry? The human authors of the bible are human and speak in human terms and that is what they know. So in speaking of God they use their human knowledge and adopt it to fit God. People know in terms of human ways. But God has said, “My ways are not your ways”. This is so in a very litteral way, because he is so different than we are. Yet we try to understand his ways thru our ways because our intelligence is so limited.

So is the Bible wrong?

Just a few thoughts.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.