Godson Question

Hey folks,

My cousin asked me to be his sons Godfather. Of course I accepted, but my Nana told me that I'm suppose to give the priest money after the Baptism, and I'm suppose to get something for my Godson. So what do I get like what is a good gift to get, and do I get him anything at all? The baptism is this coming Sunday, I mean it's the first time I'm a Godfather so help is desired.

When I was asked to be the God Father for my niece, I gave the priest a cash stipend of about $30 dollars (this was over thirty years ago) and I got her silver christening medal (as I recall of the BVM). I also got her a silver mug (engraved with her initials) and a silver spoon.

Today, for a child I would most likely get him either a $50 savings bond (this usually takes awhile before you get it), an American Silver Eagle for the year 2011 (this would cost about $40), a silver mug engraved with his initials and date along with a small silver spoon, a special rosary, This should be something that says what you are.

I think something that would last for a long time would be appropriate. What ever you give, it should be something that you would be proud to give, and that you would appreciate as a parent sometime in future your child receiving (if you are not a parent at this time). Trust you judgement. If you are still in doubt ask your mother or wife, either one can really be a safe harbor for you decision. Whatever you give above all be proud to give it and say something about you. This could be a once in a lifetime honor for you. It is also an important position for you.

Whatever, you choose a decision is needed quickly. I hope that I helped.

Regards

[quote="ndeparis88, post:1, topic:242127"]
Hey folks,

My cousin asked me to be his sons Godfather. Of course I accepted, but my Nana told me that I'm suppose to give the priest money after the Baptism, and I'm suppose to get something for my Godson. So what do I get like what is a good gift to get, and do I get him anything at all? The baptism is this coming Sunday, I mean it's the first time I'm a Godfather so help is desired.

[/quote]

Uh oh, I did not know I was supposed to give the priest money. I also have an adorable Godson. For his Baptism, I gave him a Noah's Ark toy and savings bonds.

[quote="DATING_101, post:3, topic:242127"]
Uh oh, I did not know I was supposed to give the priest money. I also have an adorable Godson. For his Baptism, I gave him a Noah's Ark toy and savings bonds.

[/quote]

The only reason that I gave the priest some money, is because my mother told me to. She is big on appearances. I confess that I am not good at giving gifts to babies, especially little girls. I was home from the service at the time and also to confess I brought the cup home from overseas for myself, and I decided to share, again at the prompting of my mother.

That's why I said that mothers are good for suggestions, especially to wayward sons.

I'm sure the boy loves his toy and will put the savings bond to good use when he comes of age.

You chose wisely grasshopper.:D:D

In my experience, the parents would pay the priest a stipend. I have tried to get my godchildren as well as those I have sponsored for Confirmation religious articles, usually related to their baptismal or Confirmation name. For example, I gave one of my Confirmands a statue of Our Lady of Lourdes since she was taking Bernadette as a Confirmation name. It’s a visible reminder of their Confirmation that she can carry throughout her life. I also give them all occasional gifts, sometimes but not always related to a holiday or birthday, as reminders of their faith.

Yeah my brother asked me and my sister to be his son's godmother and father. We gave the preist $50.00. I got him a baptism kit. My sister got him a white outfit. It was nice because me and my sister split everything in half.

God bless

jesus g

I'm Godmother to both my niece and nephew, and never gave the priest any money -- didn't know that was my responsibility.

For both my niece and nephew when they were baptized I gave them a rosary and a picture frame. In the picture frame was a photograph of their Godfather and myself holding the niece or nephew.

I have never heard of the godparents paying the priest! I guess it is a custom in some communities.

The OP "sounds" pretty young to me, so if he is going to pay the priest AND get a $50 gift, maybe someone else can help (parents?)

Traditional gifts are a rosary, for later, a Bible, also for later.

But your responsibilities go far beyond that first gift. Your cousin is trusting you to back his family up in raising his son as a Catholic. That is an awesome compliment to you! As he grows up, be sure you hold a close place in your godson's life.

:thumbsup:

[quote="TheRealJuliane, post:8, topic:242127"]
I have never heard of the godparents paying the priest! I guess it is a custom in some communities.

The OP "sounds" pretty young to me, so if he is going to pay the priest AND get a $50 gift, maybe someone else can help (parents?)

Traditional gifts are a rosary, for later, a Bible, also for later.

But your responsibilities go far beyond that first gift. Your cousin is trusting you to back his family up in raising his son as a Catholic. That is an awesome compliment to you! As he grows up, be sure you hold a close place in your godson's life.

:thumbsup:

[/quote]

I plan to hold a close place, because I want him to grow up loving God. I talked to my cousin who will be my cousins Godmother, and we are each going to get him a savings bond, and I am going to get him a wall cross, or a picture frame with a boy praying (or along those lines).

:thumbsup: Good plan! And I am happy for your godson that you take this responsibility seriously! Keep it up, especially once he gets up around 5th grade (age 12 or so). He’s gonna need a strong male that he can talk to about guy stuff. You can be that guy, and help him stay on track.

Good for you! I am a parent of three and never gave the priest anything except a "thank you." Maybe I should have but this is a sacrament not a service.

[quote="TheRealJuliane, post:10, topic:242127"]
:thumbsup: Good plan! And I am happy for your godson that you take this responsibility seriously! Keep it up, especially once he gets up around 5th grade (age 12 or so). He's gonna need a strong male that he can talk to about guy stuff. You can be that guy, and help him stay on track.

[/quote]

Thank you very much. It's kind of a weird feeling because in a way I feel it is preparing me for fatherhood. I come from a big family, and to be picked is a pretty good feeling for me. Since I'm volunteer in youth ministry it's definitely going to be a good practice.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.