Going back to work full time -prayers please

Well with the wonderful economy in Michigan right now my husband has been laid off for quite sometime and unable to find work. The retailer I've worked for part time for several years posted a job opening for a full time position -which means health benefits, something which is extremely important for us considering my health problems.

The posting was for being in charge of one of the smaller departments -putting out stock, arranging displays, maintaining them ect. One of the managers actually approached me and asked me if it was something I would consider. I decided since my husband's employment search hasn't been going well - I would apply, even though working full time was not something I'd ever think I'd do again. Unemployment won't last for ever and Cobra isn't going to either.

I interviewed for it yesterday. Sometime after my interview was over (I was scheduled to work that day) I was called back to the office and told I got the position...but it will be different than what I expected. Apparently several people from my store applied for the position. They decided to make some changes and move people around. A woman who is in charge of a much larger department has had poor performance lately. (I've been aware of the managements displeasure about this for sometime even though professionally I probably should not have been made aware of it.) They have decided to move her to the smaller department I applied for (less responsibility) and give me her position. Her assistant who was one of the applicants for the full time position is being moved also -to where I wasn't told. One of the younger applicants will become my assistant and be training under me since she really has little experience in maintaining a department.

I felt fully confident in the job I was originally applying for, the department I actually got is very large, has the most displays to be maintained and the most stock. Yeah, I'm nervous.

The woman who is losing that department has a vindictive personality, she has caused problems for employees in the past but has never been quite blatant enough to get officially disciplined. I have been able to stay above the fray of all the water cooler gossip and back stabbing over my many years and have been able to maintain good working relationship with my co-workers even ones I'm not particularly fond of. I also have a very good relationship with the management.

Yesterday one of other younger women who applied approached me and asked me how I thought I did and I said "I think ok." because I'm not allowed to reveal that I have the position until Monday. Through this conversation I find out there has been talk about me. I believe it was revealed innocently. I know this girl pretty well and she's not the type to try to "stir the pot." She was giving me her support and letting me know she was in my corner.

The management also mentioned to me to come to them if anyone gives me any problems so apparently they are aware as well. So now I have a full time position in a very large department I'm hoping I have the energy to maintain, and I'm the topic of ugly gossip from co-workers, most of which whom I thought were friends. Monday should be fun.:(

Smile alot, pray alot, and stay away from gossip. :thumbsup:

Good luck!

Wishing you the best of luck, full remission with your CD, and that things will go smoothly in your new job.

God bless you and your family. :):):)

*Congrats on getting the position, and I will keep you and your family in my prayers. Praying that your first week goes well, and continues to go smoothly. *

Co9ngragulations - perhaps God wants to use you to help these people - some who may be "vindictive" - we've all met them before. The best thing you can do is pray -
God Bless
Rye

Congratulations on the promotion! You're a good woman. Prayers for you in your new job. :gopray:

DON'T BE AFRAID.....GOD.... AND YOUR ANGELS ARE WITH YOU.....AND SO ARE WE WITH OUR PRAYERS.

There is nothing to fear. You will find that your new job will not be as hard as you think it will be. You have the support of upper management. They know you have what it takes to do the job or they wouldn't have given you the promotion.

Don't let the gossipers put fear in your heart. Stay away from so-called friends who talk behind your back. You have moved up the career ladder and you need to make new friends who are not from your department. You need to make friends from other departments that like to talk about things that you may have in common.

Stay positive. When you are driving to work.... play some cheerful music or a positive tape so when you arrive at work you will be in a cheerful mood. Don't drive thinking about work.
Once you get to work you will know what to do anyway.

On Monday when you take your morning shower put yourself in God's light of protection.
Put some holy water on you and bless yourself and say a prayer and you will start your day in a positive manner.

This is how I survived for many years at work. PEACE, LaLucia

Thank you all for your prayers and encouragement! :)

Do not be afraid...have confidence in the fact that God wants you there. Congrats!

Congratulations!
I ask the Lord to protect you from all unreasonable and unkind approaches or treatment from anyone, but to allow you peace to flourish and to serve productively and happily in you new position. God grant that your employment will be secure and satisfying.

You will be fine. Ignore the gossip and do your job; that's what you're there for. Be kind, gracious, and assertive. Congratulations on stepping up to the plate again. God speed.

Congratulations on your promotion! I know you can handle it with God's help, and if your managment didn't think you could, they won't have given you the opportunity.

Everyone was right when they said not to pay attention to or be part of the gossip, but I understand that can be a hard thing to do. I know it's part of who I am to try and be liked by the others that I work with. I have worked in a situation where women were always talking behind each other's backs and such. All I can say is PRAY, PRAY, PRAY! Anytime, something gets a little difficult, pray that God will give you the courage to get through it and do the right thing.

Good luck!!

As we celebrate the Feast of St Joseph, may he interceede for you in all your work.

Prayers for you… congratulations on the new job!

Congrats on the job! No worries, you’ll be great. Bathe yourself and all your work in prayer.

Well today went ok until the last couple hours. (Sorry this is long.)

So I go in this morning. I pass the managers office on the way in. The doors open and the assistant manager is in the office. We'll call him Jay. I know the people that were most seriously considered for the job and the vindictive woman who is losing her department is there. So I ask Jay does everyone know yet? He says no, we're not letting everyone know until 11:30. Ok.

So when I go out the floor vindictive woman (we'll call her Vee) starts making conversation. "So how's you're interview go?" Mmm...ok, I guess. "Have you heard anything?" Nope. -Yeah, I lied because I'm not supposed to know yet according to the management. In fact everybody and their brother has been asking me all weekend (I worked the weekend) about my interview and have I heard anything. It's been driving me crazy and I feel like its printed on my forehead and they can all tell I'm not being honest.

So as the clock ticks, my anxiety is building.Vee's assistant "Ann", who not only is not getting the position which I know she really, really wanted, she is getting moved from that department is at there also. Her and I have been friends and she is very good in the department I'm getting. Jay my manager is also good friends with her, and he's been saying over the weekend he's dreading telling her because he knows how upset she's going to be. Yeah Jay can be unprofessional and he's known around the store for being emotional.

So when I walk into the break room for my break, Ann is in there also on break. This is where I was stupid. While were sitting there I ask "So have you heard anything?" She says no, not yet -you? And I say "Nope." As soon as i said this I regretted it. My nerves were getting the best of me and I felt like everyone could tell that I already knew. So I felt everyone else was asking and I should too.

Anyway ok...so I start hearing people's names getting called to the office. Relief, now everyone will know, it'll be out there and I can stop pretending and lying to everyone. Which I'm really hating at this point.

So my lunch time comes. As I'm walking to the break room Ann comes out of the managers' office, obviously upset, her hand holding her face like she's crying and she goes into the bathroom. Feeling ****** I go into the break room. She comes in a short time later I toss my frozen dinner in the microwave and mention outloud I'm going to managers office to get these scratch off tickets for refund fraud I caught earlier today (which is true, its a contest they have for loss prevention) and I high tail it out of there.

So in the managers office, they (Jay and the store manager "Lynn")tell me it was really rough with Ann. I know, I saw her etc. So now everyone has been told they did not get the position, they haven't been told who has but I am now "allowed" to know. Phew, ok.

So...shortly before my lunch is over Ann comes back in the break room still looking very upset. She's looking at me and I say "I'm sorry" because I feel really bad for her. She asks for what. And I tell I know. She says know what? I said when I went into the office I was told I have the position. (Yeah I just lied again because I already knew.) She starts telling me Lynn was really nasty to her and if she didn't need the money she would quit. I was trying to be sympathetic. She said I'm surprised they gave it to you because of your health. I just kind of shrugged. (I knew she was really upset.)

Anyways fast forward to my last break my manager Jay comes in the break room and tells me Ann just caught him in the parking lot when she was leaving and the conversation didn't go well. Then he goes I screwed up. I said you did not tell her that I already knew did you? And he says yes. I lost it. I was like "What! No everyone is going to think I'm a liar! All the rumors that have been circulating are going to be believed because I have just lost all credibility. You know she is going tell everyone. You guys swore me to secrecy and then you go and tell her."

Instead of apologizing he starts yelling at me and storms off. I'm furious and devastated at the same time. When I finish my shift I stop at the managers office and knocked on the door. Lynn and Jay are both in the office so I say "we need to talk" and close the door behind me. (continued)

I ask Jay if Lynn knows and he says yes. We start talking, and Jay immediately goes on the defensive again -loudly. I look at Lynn and say this is the exact reaction I got upset that he told Ann that I’ve known. I said you guys swore me to secrecy, your were emphatic that I could not breath a word, I was lying to everyone -which I do not like doing at all. I felt like everyone could tell. Now all the talk, all the rumors are going to believed, I have lost my credibility. This was hard enough and now its a 100 times worse. Jay and I went at it with Lynn trying to get Jay to see my point and calm things down. I finally got a sincere apology from Jay (which was all I was looking for). I knew he hadn’t done it on purpose and that it slipped out while him and Ann were having words. They have both pledged to work with me and try to fix the damage that has been dne. But I know some will not be fixable.

I will say this I WILL NEVER LIE for management again. I have learned the hard way how badly that can go.

*Jay shouldn’t be a manager…he shouldn’t be sharing Ann’s reactions and interactions with her, with you or anyone else working there. Yikes, I’m sorry this happened, and that you were caught in the middle. Regardless of friendships, it’s a business, and Jay has no place sharing private info about others’ jobs with other coworkers. I’m hoping things go smoother! :o I know how it is to be in a close knit group, but still…Jay needs to take a class in how to be a bit more discreet. *

[quote="rayne89, post:17, topic:190517"]
I ask Jay if Lynn knows and he says yes. We start talking, and Jay immediately goes on the defensive again -loudly. I look at Lynn and say this is the exact reaction I got upset that he told Ann that I've known. I said you guys swore me to secrecy, your were emphatic that I could not breath a word, I was lying to everyone -which I do not like doing at all. I felt like everyone could tell. Now all the talk, all the rumors are going to believed, I have lost my credibility. This was hard enough and now its a 100 times worse. Jay and I went at it with Lynn trying to get Jay to see my point and calm things down. I finally got a sincere apology from Jay (which was all I was looking for). I knew he hadn't done it on purpose and that it slipped out while him and Ann were having words. They have both pledged to work with me and try to fix the damage that has been dne. But I know some will not be fixable.

I will say this I WILL NEVER LIE for management again. I have learned the hard way how badly that can go.

[/quote]

*I am sorry you had to deal with this, rayne. You are a good person, and didn't deserve to be caught in the middle. I am glad Jay apologized though, that's good at least. He should not be the mgr, though...he just hasn't a clue, it sounds. He did everything pretty much that goes against management 101. lol *

Many prayers for you!

I'm not full time, but I am a waitress at a restaurant, in order to make ends meet while I'm finishing school and I've had management try to get me to snitch for them (not serious infractions, but accounts of small things and sometimes laziness on behalf of my coworkers). Let me tell you, unethical managers will have to answer to God one day for abusing their authority! Taking advantage of their power and putting livelihoods on the line like that! Disgusting!

You're a good person and a capable woman. You would not have been promoted if otherwise. God would not have given you this or placed you in this spot if you were not strong enough. You go, girl!!

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.