Going Clubbing

Hey, im fairly new to this forum
but here's my question I wanted to know
if going to a club or night club is bad?

Well, life’s too short not to dance.

There are clubs I would say no because of the standard of behavior in them. There are others I wouldn’t have a problem with. However, it also depends on how you dress and conduct yourself. Grinding isn’t appropriate. And drinking too much is bad morally and practically whether at a club or somewhere else. (Two rules to safety 1. Don’t do anything stupid 2. Alcohol makes you stupid)

Going isn't necessarily a bad thing, but depending on the place and one's personal situation it may be a near occasion of sin.

That being said, what you choose to do or not do will be more reflective of whether or not "clubbing" is "bad."

To be frank, most of these clubs feature intoxication (way more than a couple drinks) and unchaste music, both of which are sinful. Then there is near occasion for unchastity itself, DWI and so on.

Besides, what is fun about being crowded in a room with a thousand strangers while a bad band plays noise (that is supposed to be music) so loud that you cannot even carry on a conversation? Wouldn’t you rather go somewhere safer where you are actually able to communicate with your friends and have room to dance?

It's really not the best environment for a christian. they normally are a place where most are getting drunk, doing drugs and looking for hook-ups. Even if this is not what you are doing it's not good to be surrounded by these things.

I came across these quotes a couple years ago and tend to agree with this quote from St John Vianney

“The Tavern is the house of the devil, the market where the souls are lost, where family harmony is broken, where fights start,...."

"Was it not in those houses that dancers congregated and men forgot their duty?"

...drinking moderately or dancing is ok, but bars/clubs, drunkenness or certain types of dancing(or just being surrounded by it)is not good for the soul
-my two cents

@Cat Herder:

I agree with most of your post, especially the second half with the questions. However, how is listening to unchaste music sinful? What defines unchaste music in the first place?

I don't think it's sinful to listen to the words of a certain song called "I love College". But acting on those words, in deed or thought, is certainly sinful. But how is hearing the words themselves bad? I just don't see it. Perhaps you can clarify.

Thanks,
Coolduude

OP, here's my two cents but CatHerder and SeekingHisHeart pretty much nailed it!

I used to go clubbing a lot, when I was away from the faith. 3 days a week. Since reverting back, I am ashamed to even think of those days. The drunkeness, sinfulness. I know it's a generalization, but let me be frank: clubbing is for sex. Guys go there with one intention. And don't be fooled by the drinking or dancing - they are all just distractions for when you can't seem to hook up, and they also serve as 'social lubrication' in order to help the hooking up process. And its not just guys, it's girls too. Girls go to hook up. Sure, some don't, but they usually end up hooking up anyway.

I could share stories and talk about my own girl friends, my own experiences etc but I don't think I need to.

But even if you want to go clubbing despite knowing that you are a target and a piece of meat for drunk guys who are lightyears away from being real men (Christ like, loving, sacrificial, tough, compassionate, etc)... think about the people you are surrounding yourself with. Personally, I always hated clubbing even when I used to go. I always felt slimy and seedy going there despite being a typical clubber. As a Catholic I can't even look at a club any more. Why would anybody want to surround themselves with so much sin? Drugs, drinking, sex, hedonism. Don't be fooled by people who say "we go to dance". rubbish. You go there to tease. Nobody really dances in a club just to dance. That's like saying "I go to stripclubs because I like the music" or "I go to the whorehouse because I like to chat".

Guys have a rule - never date a girl you met on a Friday night. I am sure you can guess what they are trying to say.

OP I reckon there are hundreds of better things to do than to go clubbing. Don't get fooled. Those places are hideous.

I don't think it's sinful to listen to the words of a certain song called "I love College". But acting on those words, in deed or thought, is certainly sinful. But how is hearing the words themselves bad? I just don't see it. Perhaps you can clarify.

This type of thing has been beaten to death...

But think about this: imagine listening to a song called "I love Satan" with lyrics that are similar in nature. Would you listen? No. Well, same thing. Very rarely are things in this world neutral. I listen to secular music of course, but when I don't like the message I stop listening.

I posted long ago why I believe listening to such songs is bad. It was a long post but basically:

People enjoy music because of the connection they feel with it. They connect with the words. They identify. They vicariously live through the music. They wish to be the music. So songs that say "party every day" aren't just accidentally famous and hits. Its the content and the way people want to live through that music. People go "Yeah man, party every day, this song is like, totally my song!".

You bet your bottom dollar if the words of "I love College, I love drinking" were instead "I love Jesus, I love praying" that perhaps a handful of Christians would like that song. It wouldn't even be in the top 1million nevermind Top 10.

1 Like

Hello everyone and I wish you all a happy new year.
I use to go clubing alot in my younger years. As a matter of fact I’m going dancing for the new years. As long as I behave approiately. Also I use to go to a catholic singles dances were they served alcohol. I guess what I’m trying to say is use your better judgement. Hey linda I’m a gonzalez also and welcome to CAF.:thumbsup:
jesus g

Hey guys thanks for all the answers they really help out
and Jesus Gonzalez thx for the Welcome :slight_smile:

[quote="NewsTheMan, post:7, topic:224100"]
OP, here's my two cents but CatHerder and SeekingHisHeart pretty much nailed it!

I used to go clubbing a lot, when I was away from the faith. 3 days a week. Since reverting back, I am ashamed to even think of those days. The drunkeness, sinfulness. I know it's a generalization, but let me be frank: clubbing is for sex. Guys go there with one intention. And don't be fooled by the drinking or dancing - they are all just distractions for when you can't seem to hook up, and they also serve as 'social lubrication' in order to help the hooking up process. And its not just guys, it's girls too. Girls go to hook up. Sure, some don't, but they usually end up hooking up anyway.

I could share stories and talk about my own girl friends, my own experiences etc but I don't think I need to.

But even if you want to go clubbing despite knowing that you are a target and a piece of meat for drunk guys who are lightyears away from being real men (Christ like, loving, sacrificial, tough, compassionate, etc)... think about the people you are surrounding yourself with. Personally, I always hated clubbing even when I used to go. I always felt slimy and seedy going there despite being a typical clubber. As a Catholic I can't even look at a club any more. Why would anybody want to surround themselves with so much sin? Drugs, drinking, sex, hedonism. Don't be fooled by people who say "we go to dance". rubbish. You go there to tease. Nobody really dances in a club just to dance. That's like saying "I go to stripclubs because I like the music" or "I go to the whorehouse because I like to chat".

Guys have a rule - never date a girl you met on a Friday night. I am sure you can guess what they are trying to say.

OP I reckon there are hundreds of better things to do than to go clubbing. Don't get fooled. Those places are hideous.

This type of thing has been beaten to death...

But think about this: imagine listening to a song called "I love Satan" with lyrics that are similar in nature. Would you listen? No. Well, same thing. Very rarely are things in this world neutral. I listen to secular music of course, but when I don't like the message I stop listening.

I posted long ago why I believe listening to such songs is bad. It was a long post but basically:

People enjoy music because of the connection they feel with it. They connect with the words. They identify. They vicariously live through the music. They wish to be the music. So songs that say "party every day" aren't just accidentally famous and hits. Its the content and the way people want to live through that music. People go "Yeah man, party every day, this song is like, totally my song!".

You bet your bottom dollar if the words of "I love College, I love drinking" were instead "I love Jesus, I love praying" that perhaps a handful of Christians would like that song. It wouldn't even be in the top 1million nevermind Top 10.

[/quote]

Thank you so much for posting this. I'm in college and have never gone anywhere as stupid as clubbing, for the exact reasons that you stated. But I know people who do, and even worse than that in my mind are the people that don't go but encourage those who do go by telling them that it's ok. I know many many many people with whom I failed to convey what you just said.

i use to club when i was a teen well into my mid 20s and i have to say yes is bad, i saw everything from fights, drugs, shootings, and even sexual acts in plain view.
am just glad am out of it and the only places i like to party now is at gatherings with friends and family and i try to not be out to late cause that song was right when they said the freak come out at night...LOL :rolleyes:

[quote="lindagonzalez91, post:1, topic:224100"]
Hey, im fairly new to this forum
but here's my question I wanted to know
if going to a club or night club is bad?

[/quote]

Iv'e gone quote "Clubbing" more times than I'd like to admit to. :(

I think if you can control yourself, it can be a good time, but I also think there are many drawbacks. Sometimes I think that I wouldn't stand for some behavior out of others, but after Iv'e been drinking, I'm sitting there laughing with others who are using vulgar language, etc.

Many times when I'm out at a club as well, I usually drink way more than I planned to. I'm busy talking, relaxing, and letting my hair down so to speak, and I don't notice the ease and quickness to which my drinks are going down. I also notice that time gets away from me, and the next thing I know, its closing time and I'm pretty damn buzzed. Usually waking up with a hangover and many regrets the next day, follows my evening of going out.

I consider myself to be a devout Catholic and I go clubbing all the time. Why not if the music is good and and you love dancing. Granted I don’t really drink at all but do usually pay a cover charge to get in so the clubs don’t make much money off me. I’ve also never met anyone I would date in a club either. I go for the dancing and music. Note: I am also single with no kids.

Here, it is misguided to say ‘going to a club is bad’ or ‘watching a violent movie is bad’. The badness comes from the application of that experience into your life. If you go to a club and pick someone up - that’s bad. If you watch a violent movie and start whoopin’ ***, that’s bad. Nothing wrong with going clubbing.

[quote="coolduude, post:6, topic:224100"]
@Cat Herder:

I agree with most of your post, especially the second half with the questions. However, how is listening to unchaste music sinful? What defines unchaste music in the first place?

Thanks,
Coolduude

[/quote]

Ah, I have neglected to reply to you... I apologize.

The main problem with unchaste media (and what makes it unchaste) is that it gives rise to fantasies and other types of sinful thoughts. Fantasies, if entertained, are sinful.

Catechism #1853
Sins can be distinguished according to their objects, as can every human act; or according to the virtues they oppose, by excess or defect; or according to the commandments they violate. They can also be classed according to whether they concern God, neighbor, or oneself; they can be divided into spiritual and carnal sins, or again as sins in thought, word, deed, or omission. The root of sin is in the heart of man, in his free will, according to the teaching of the Lord: "For out of the heart come evil thoughts, murder, adultery, fornication, theft, false witness, slander. These are what defile a man."128 But in the heart also resides charity, the source of the good and pure works, which sin wounds.

Note 128 is a cite to Matthew 15:19-20. Compare also what the Lord said about just looking at a woman lustfully.

[quote="Cat_Herder, post:15, topic:224100"]
Ah, I have neglected to reply to you... I apologize.

The main problem with unchaste media (and what makes it unchaste) is that it gives rise to fantasies and other types of sinful thoughts. Fantasies, if entertained, are sinful.

Catechism #1853
Sins can be distinguished according to their objects, as can every human act; or according to the virtues they oppose, by excess or defect; or according to the commandments they violate. They can also be classed according to whether they concern God, neighbor, or oneself; they can be divided into spiritual and carnal sins, or again as sins in thought, word, deed, or omission. The root of sin is in the heart of man, in his free will, according to the teaching of the Lord: "For out of the heart come evil thoughts, murder, adultery, fornication, theft, false witness, slander. These are what defile a man."128 But in the heart also resides charity, the source of the good and pure works, which sin wounds.

Note 128 is a cite to Matthew 15:19-20. Compare also what the Lord said about just looking at a woman lustfully.

[/quote]

Thanks for the clarification. It seems we agree then. The media itself is not sinful, but acting on what it portrays certainly is.

Nice sig, by the way. :thumbsup::rolleyes:

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.