Going crazy trying to find a source about Adam and Eve

I just read something about Adam and Eve and am trying to find the source.

Basically it noted in the Garden that God told Adam and Eve do not eat the fruit from the Tree of Knowledge.

Satan asks Eve is this is true. This is what Eve says:

“We may eat fruit from the trees in the garden, 3*but God did say, ‘You must not eat fruit from the tree that is in the middle of the garden, and you must not touch it, or you will die.’”

This is not what God said. His words are:
"You are free to eat from any tree in the garden; 17*but you must not eat from the tree of the knowledge of good and evil, for when you eat from it you will certainly die.”

Eve has added the “touch” which God did not forbid. This demonstrates her inherent lack of satisfaction with living in the paradise which was the Garden of Eden.

Men don’t get off the hook either. Where was Adam? Well this article points out that Adam was a coward and did not protect his wife, nor did he stand up to her and he hid from God.

What really hit me over the head was man’s natural cowardice. This is the virtue that we have to nurture as leaders of our families. (I am a guy btw)

I am hoping someone also recently read this and can provide me with the link/source.

Why don’t you simply read the text in the Bible?

Thanks PianistClare - I did, but it seems like this interpretation had a lot to say to me:) So I am trying to find the source again.

The difference is only subtle. To me, it seems believable that God could also have told Adam and Eve to not only not eat the fruit, but not to touch it or even look at it. I know it was only a work of fiction, but I loved it and really enjoyed reading it. “Havah, The Story of Eve The First Woman” by Tosca Lee. It was a beautifully written story, and anyone who is interested in Adam and Eve should read it.

Why don’t you check the Catholic Encyclopedia, its online or maybe the Catholic Dictionary its also online. Or the Catechism

This site lists various bible versions, all seem to include the touch it part…

biblehub.com/genesis/3-3.htm

I just googled your quote and got 5 hits, which is unusually low IMO.

I commend you for seeking the source, but the Scriptures are the source.

Its Scott Hahn:

"Adam had an obligation to rebuff Satan and guard his wife and the garden. But he is passive. As head of the house he has the first responsibility to defend his household from all error, sin and threat. Eve should not have had to face the devil and answer him alone. He was worse than useless, his silence gave strength to Satan’s arguments. Eve is not without sin but Adam has failed miserably to assist Eve and provide the support she needs and deserves.

Now, dear reader, permit my flourishes here. After all I am a preacher at heart and preachers love hyperbole. I admit some excess in my cross-examination but also stand by its basic point which is that the first sin involved more than eating the fruit. That was its culmination. But complicit silence from Adam was integral to the fall as well. It set the stage for the first sin. In this sense too, the first sin is fittingly called the “Sin of Adam.” (emphasis added)

blog.adw.org/2010/08/why-is-the-first-sin-called-the-sin-of-adam-not-the-sin-of-adam-and-eve/

From the link.

**Why just Adam? **Now, to be sure, both Scripture and the Catechism describe the Sin as involving both Adam and Eve, but neither formally refer to it as the “Sin of Adam and Eve” but only, the “Sin of Adam” or “Adam’s Sin.” Sin comes to us through Adam. Why is this?
I want to propose several answers, not all of them politically correct. Now in doing this I am not hereby indicating that everything I am about to say is the formal teaching of the Church. Some of what I present is speculative. Hence I hope you will feel free to critique it and add to what I have written as well as subtract. Here are a few “explanations” as to why it seems fitting that Original Sin is referred to formally as the “Sin of Adam.”

Wasn’t the original question what did God actually say, not what did adam do?

Adam apparently, had a bad lawyer…

No, I think the question was, **what is the source **of the ideas that 1. the sin was more than just eating the fruit but actually the culmination of a bunch of stuff including Eve’s displeasure with her situation; and 2. Adam bore responsibility too, not just Eve, because he was a coward.

Scott Hahn (maybe others as well) have given these viewpoints, so that is the article that I linked. I am not aware that others have also shared this view, and as Granny points out, Scott admits this is theological speculation on this point. But I believe this is the article the OP asked about.

No, not really on the points the OP is asking about. These points are theological speculation.

In my humble opinion, the key issue is – “This is not what God said. His words are:” from post 1.

The real problem is that some, not all, CAF participants do not understand the depth of the first three sacred chapters in Genesis, that is, they doubt that those first three amazing chapters of Genesis contain the facts of the dawn of human history. Some, not all, participants prefer the metaphor approach so that anything goes.

Whether God said touch or did not say touch only sidesteps the real issue in Genesis 2: 15-17. The real issue is the answer to this question – What is required for the original friendship relationship between Adam the creature and God the Creator?

Eve had not yet been born when God gave the command to Adam in 2:16, so it’s possible Adam told her that God said don’t touch it, either because Adam innocently misremembered or just to add emphasis to protect her.

It’s also possible that Eve adds it innocently herself:

The woman gives the natural and distinct answer of unaffected sincerity to this suggestion. The deviations from the strict letter of the law are nothing more than the free and earnest expressions of her feelings. The expression, “neither shall ye touch it,” merely implies that they were not to meddle with it, as a forbidden thing. - Barnes’ Notes

Good commentary here for you.

closed #16

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.