Going into confessional for spiritual advice

I know guidance is definitely available from one’s confessor. However, what if someone had not been prepared to confess at a soecific time yet was seeking guidance for a renewed spiritual life first. Would it be appropriate to stop by and speak to a priest in the confessional for a moment?

Posted confession times in many parishes are pretty infrequent and brief. Sometimes there is only half an hour or so once a week, with one priest hearing confessions. If there are more than half a dozen penitents, it can get pretty cramped for time. There was a time that confessional times were available nearly daily, but in most places, that went out with muscle cars and 29 cent per gallon gasoline.

There's nothing that says you couldn't just pop into the confessional for some brief spiritual advice, but if it's more in-depth than that, it's really more considerate of your fellow parishioners to make an appointment with a priest for a more comprehensive conferencing session. Sometimes, especially during Lent, before First Fridays, and during the last week or so of Advent, confession lines are long and some people might not even get a chance to confess if there is someone with a particularly long claim on Father's time. Most priests are very happy to hear your confession before, during, or after, such a scheduled conference, and yes, it can be a mixed session like that.

[quote="odile53, post:2, topic:307685"]
Posted confession times in many parishes are pretty infrequent and brief. Sometimes there is only half an hour or so once a week, with one priest hearing confessions. If there are more than half a dozen penitents, it can get pretty cramped for time. There was a time that confessional times were available nearly daily, but in most places, that went out with muscle cars and 29 cent per gallon gasoline.

There's nothing that says you couldn't just pop into the confessional for some brief spiritual advice, but if it's more in-depth than that, it's really more considerate of your fellow parishioners to make an appointment with a priest for a more comprehensive conferencing session. Sometimes, especially during Lent, before First Fridays, and during the last week or so of Advent, confession lines are long and some people might not even get a chance to confess if there is someone with a particularly long claim on Father's time. Most priests are very happy to hear your confession before, during, or after, such a scheduled conference, and yes, it can be a mixed session like that.

[/quote]

Yes I agree with your point. An appointment might be more appointment for a scheduled time might be better. My concern though was whether or not a confession with absolution had to be made or that scheduled time can be for guided advice.
Thanks for your answer :)

I agree with this. In my parish, for instance, we have Confessions offered for an hour each day (half and hour befo each of two daily Masses), and for two hours on Saturday. Most of the time, there is a steady stream of penitents. I frequently have to cut someone off and kindly invite them to call our office and schedule an appointment with me through our secretary. It's not to be rude, rather it's acknowledging that there are still five people in line and we only have ten minutes until Mass starts.

So, I would say out of concern for others, just set up an appointment.

Scheduled confession times are designed for the sacrament. Spiritual direction or asking for advice are not the same thing as sacramental confession. Please make an appointment if what you want is some discussion time with father.

No. One should make an appointment for another time.

If you are at confession and need spiritual advice that is urgent enough to be bothering your soul,ask. I can’t image Jesus healing and forgiving someone’s sins and that if they had a question telling them to make an appointment!

=divinefaith;10109081]I know guidance is definitely available from one's confessor. However, what if someone had not been prepared to confess at a soecific time yet was seeking guidance for a renewed spiritual life first. Would it be appropriate to stop by and speak to a priest in the confessional for a moment?

ONLY if for undisclosed reasons a personal apt. would be deemed inapproiate.

A Spiritual advisors role is much differnt and often involves longer secessions than ones Confession. While it can be the same person; the dialog is much different; and time limites of only one hour before [or less] on weekend Masses could be imposing on others very necessary time in the confessional?

The best bet is to make a private apointment so that the discussion can consume the time required.:)

Pray about it.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.