Going out of town...Mass?

I'm taking a train next week to visit a friend across state. She is not Catholic, but she's supportive. she does not own a car, so we'll be taking the bus around her town. What should I do about Mass? I'm too scared to take a bus on my own, because it's a very large city, and while I don't think she's be necessarily opposed to going with me, I don't know how to go about even manuevering the bus schedules to be there in time. What should I do?

Call a cab?

If your friend travels by bus, she should feel comfortable even if it’s not the bus she normally uses. Find out what Catholic church is nearest her home. She can ask a friend at work or school who’s Catholic. Many large cities may have a church that is within walking distance. Look up the church on www.masstimes.org for the time that’s most convenient. It could be a pleasant adventure.

I usually find a church closest to where I will be staying. If too far to walk I take a cab. Sometimes the Saturday night Mass turns out to be more convenient.

Go to masstimes.org and find the nearest Catholic Church. Find out when Mass times are on Sunday and Saturday evening. If it the church is very close, you may be able to walk. Otherwise, a taxi is an option, as is trying to figure out the bus schedule in advance.

Mass is important to you and your friend should be supportive. Even if she doesn’t want to attend, maybe she could bring a book and read outside the church if it’s a nice day. Or maybe there’s a coffee shop on the same block where she could hang out until you’re finished.

I read one of my favorite analogies for this type of situation on CAF a few years back. Suppose you needed weekly dialysis or a weekly medical appointment while you were visiting? What friend wouldn’t go out of their way to be accomodating and help you get to the appointment on time, even though they personally had no need for it? Likewise, Mass is important for your spirirtual health and soul. You’re a great witness to the faith when you explain how important it is to you to attend.

God bless.

[quote="nodito, post:5, topic:335957"]
Go to masstimes.org and find the nearest Catholic Church. Find out when Mass times are on Sunday and Saturday evening. If it the church is very close, you may be able to walk. Otherwise, a taxi is an option, as is trying to figure out the bus schedule in advance.

Mass is important to you and your friend should be supportive. Even if she doesn't want to attend, maybe she could bring a book and read outside the church if it's a nice day. Or maybe there's a coffee shop on the same block where she could hang out until you're finished.

I read one of my favorite analogies for this type of situation on CAF a few years back. Suppose you needed weekly dialysis or a weekly medical appointment while you were visiting? What friend wouldn't go out of their way to be accomodating and help you get to the appointment on time, even though they personally had no need for it? Likewise, Mass is important for your spirirtual health and soul. You're a great witness to the faith when you explain how important it is to you to attend.

God bless.

[/quote]

Wow! That is truly a great analogy! I'm gonna remember that!

After you have found a church on masstimes.org, you can always call the church and see if they know of a parishoner who lives close to where you will be staying and possibly get a ride from them.

After you have found a church on masstimes.org, you could always call the church and see if they know of a parishoner who lives close by who might be willing to give you a ride.

I love going to mass in new areas. Please do not deny yourself the chance to make the Lord part of your trip. Your friend might even agree to accompany you to the church, even if she does not want to attend, but you could invite her to.

If you will be in a big city, there should be buses running on a decent schedule. You may be pleasantly surprised to find that you can get to a mass in three bus stops on a single route. I like Google maps as it gives you exact directions, including where to cross roads and which side of the street your bus will be on. It even allows for the time of day!

Go to Mass. I know many many people who fret about this very thing and it always astonishes me. In a “big city” there will probably be many Catholic Masses close by. But honestly stop and think about what the Mass is. Jesus, your God, your Savior will be present wholly in the Eucharist. GOD HIMSELF! Are you telling me that if you knew Jesus Christ was going to appear in the flesh at a certain time within a couple of miles of your friends house you would have a hard time getting there? And not only that but God himself invited and requested that you be there. You should have a meal with your Father when he asks.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.