Going through obsessions

I’m obsessed with trains now, and it’s gone on for months. It was planes only a wile back. It has to be an unhealthy habit, I’m always watching videos and reading about them, playing simulators…

I feel like it’s a form of being bound, and need to be set free from this distracting, useless ‘hobby’. It’s doing my life and soul no good, or anyone else’s. Am I being too harsh?

PS. I’ve always been like this. Going through cycles of obsessions with very worldly things.

“Asperger’s Syndrome and Obsessions and Special Interests
It is extremely common for people with Asperger’s syndrome to have obsessions and interests that they talk about incessantly. These may include trains.”

This is a difficult diagnosis in an adult but there are special clinics (I know there’s one at Long Island Jewish Hospital and most likely North Shore University Hospital, so therefor at other large teaching hospitals). I suggest you attempt a diagnosis. This isn’t sinful, it isn’t a character flaw, and it isn’t shameful, it is a state of “being” that is out of your control. But there are medications and cognitive behavioral therapy so you don’t have to be a “slave” to this condition.

Well said.

Hmm could be lots of medical issues and it be wrong to come up with the list of things it could be.

But getting an official diagnosis of whatever it may be will help you learn how to manage so it don’t become obssessional for you.

I’m very skeptical about getting diagnosed by the men in white coats, then there’s the drugs and all.

Try to become more involved with spiritual things, like the lives of the saints, and books written by saints, and with scriptural reading, and with praying, etc… You can watch religious movies instead of movies about trains, can’t you? God bless you.

Friend, that’s part of the Syndrome. Avoidance of therapy, resistance to medication, etc. You have the symptoms. Why live with an uncomfortable condition that might just respond quite well to medication?

I have Asperger’s Syndrome. It’s not something that can be cured. Believe me, I’ve tried. It’s something I have to live with, just as people who are extremely bad at math have to live with that.

My advice? Channel that obsession into learning the faith. That’s what I did. It’s done wonders for my life.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.