Going through the RCIA process and in an irregular marriage

My cousin is now going through the RCIA process. She was baptized as a presbyterian. She was also married in a civil ceremony to a Catholic. So the fact that her husband is catholic and chose to not follow Church tradition, he is now in an irregular marriage (not sure if that’s the right terminology). So does their marriage have to be blessed or con validated by the Church before she can receive the sacraments of the Church?

Normally the convalidation of her marriage would come first, followed by the sacraments of reconciliation, confirmation, and Eucharist. The convalidation could happen at any point in the process, either immediately or close to the time of the other sacraments.

I’m in basically the same boat. We’re required to have a simple radical sanation after my annulment goes through.

I’m thinking worst case situation. What if they didn’t get their marriage convalidated prior to Easter? Would my cousin be barred from receiving the Eucharist for the first time? On another note, my cousin doesn’t listen to my advice as her sponsor. Told her not to ho through ivf a few months back but she did anyways.

Yes. The Catholic husband also needs to confess before receiving Communion.

If they cannot get the marriage convalidated before Easter they do have the option of receiving the Sacraments if they agree to abstain from sex until after the marriage is convalidated.

Why would they not be able to convalidate their marriage before Easter? I assume their priest knows about the situation and is working with them on any preparations needed. (I’m also assuming there isn’t an earlier marriage that needs a declaration of nullity.) They don’t need to plan some big wedding and reception; it can be as simple as the couple, their witnesses, and the priest or deacon.

However, the normal route would be that if the marriage is not convalidated they wait until that happens before the other sacraments. For someone who is already baptized the Easter Vigil is an artificial date. Many parishes bring people into the Church at that time but it’s purely their preference, not part of the rite.

All answers are well intended, but the only correct answer can be given by a priest after being able to discuss all details with those involved…have them discuss it with their pastor…FREE advice from even the most well-meaning lay person on the internet, even here, is only worth what you pay for it!

Yes. Impediments must be dealt with before administering the other sacraments. There may be exceptions, that would be up to the pastor to determine. Of course this is assuming there are no other prior marriages on either party’s part.

This should be covered during RCIA interviews, as marital situations should be discussed early on. She can also make an appointment with the pastor to discuss options. If he is unwilling to convalidate through a new exchange of consent, she should request a radical sanation.

At a minimum you should mentioned it to the RCIA coordinator, as her sponsor you have an obligation to make impediments known.

Well, my cousins husband says he’s a “recovering” catholic so he may not want to go through with it. The cousin may not push it. From what I’ve learned, she is going through a “liberal” parish with her rcia. The priest may not push for a con validation prior to Easter (speculating on that).

Still confused why my cousin would need to have her marriage convalidated. I know for a fact that her husband didn’t follow Church teaching by being married outside the Church, but as my cousin was non-catholic at the time of their marriage, she was not bound to his standard and went into the marriage in good faith.

She may not have been obligated to marry in the Church because she was not Catholic, but her husband was Catholic and bound by the rules. It only takes a flaw on one side to make a marriage invalid.

If her husband won’t go along with a convalidation your cousin could ask the priest to apply for a Radical Sanation. The Radical Sanation doesn’t require the husbands presence or consent and validates the marriage from the day the wedding ceremony took place.

Because she is in an invalid marriage.

Yes, she is bound to Catholic form, because HE is. A marriage is either valid or invalid. It cannot be “valid” for her and “invalid” for him. A non-Catholic who marries a Catholic is bound by the ecclesial laws that bind the Catholic.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.