Going to a wedding tonight

I’m going to a wedding for a very special friend. She is great! I’m on the broke side and I can’t afford a gift. I was going to alteast write her out a little something. Does anyone have a special verse I could include? They aren’t religious but I’m a firm believer that you need God to make a marriage work. So…Does anyone have a special verse I could include?? Or a special wedding day poem?

Thanks!!

1 Corinthians
Chapter 13
4 Love is patient, love is kind. It is not jealous, (love) is not pompous, it is not inflated, 5 it is not rude, it does not seek its own interests, it is not quick-tempered, it does not brood over injury, 6 it does not rejoice over wrongdoing but rejoices with the truth. 7 It bears all things, believes all things, hopes all things, endures all things. 8 Love never fails.

Also - give the gift of time.

Offer to come over and cook a special meal for them one night when they are tired of all the post wedding stuff. Sometimes that’s the nicest gift of all - good friendship.

Hope you are feeling better soon.

I so wish that was an option! He is in the military and they are moving to Virginia in 2 weeks. :frowning:

Miss Manners and Emily Post both say you have a year to get them a gift, if you choose to do so. You are under no obligation to get them a gift.

As they are headed to VA in a couple weeks, I have an idea. Get them that nice card. In addition to a nice verse in it, tell them you are waiting until they move to their new home to get their present. Once they get settled, there are tons of things you can do for them, even though they are away, that are inexpensive or can be gathered with time.

As a bride to a young sailor once upon a time, one of the nicest things I received for my wedding way back when was stationery with my married name on it; envelopes to match; a good black pen that did not skip; and a generous package of postage stamps. I know most people nowadays use email or IM or text, but there are still those times when a pen and nice piece of paper in a nice envelope are necessary.

You can also send them a “care package” of packaged food that is particular to your are of the country.

You can call a pizza place or delivery place when you know they have had a bad day, and get them a nice meal. There is even a service called TakeOut Taxi in the Virginia Beach/ Portsmouth area that has some great options.

The whole thing is only limited by your imagination. Good luck with it!

Va Beach? After they move, get them a gift certificate from the Duck Inn. Yummy!

Great Post!!!

I can’t find it on-line anywhere but we used a prayer/poem by St. Thomas More on our favors. I hope I remember it to the “t” but it went like this:

O, guard our affection, nor e’er let it feel
The blight that this world o’er the warmest will steal,
While the faith all around us
Is fading or past
Let our’s evergreen keep it’s bloom to the last

Can’t help you with the punctuation. It can be found in Three To Get Married by Fulton Sheen. Mine’s packed in the garage so I can’t look it up for you.

I’ll see if my sister can find her copy. Maybe someone else with a copy will look it up.

If you find a verse you like~type it up and print it in a nice script. Include the date of their wedding and perhaps a photo of them for the big day or some other special time. Frame it for hanging or display. The whole thing could be done for under $20 and would make a wonderful keepsake.

Print the following story on nice paper, and buy the couple a crucifix.

A Marriage Story

In the town of Siroki-Brijeg, in Herzegovina, not one of the inhabitants can recall a single divorce or broken family. Their secret begins with their marriage rite. When the bride and bridegroom go to the church to be married they carry a crucifix with them. The priest blesses the crucifix and says, “You have found your cross! It is a cross to love, to carry with you, a cross that is not thrown off but rather treasured.” When they exchange the marital vows, the bride puts her right hand on this crucifix and the groom puts his right hand over hers. Both are united to the cross. The priest raises his hands while they pronounce their promises to love each other in good times and in bad. Then they both first kiss the cross, not each other. If one abandons the other, they abandon Christ on the cross. Afterwards, the couple crosses the threshold of their home to enthrone that same crucifix in a place of honor. It becomes the reference point of their lives and the place of family prayer. In times of difficulty and misunderstandings, as all human relationships experience, they do not turn immediately to the lawyer or psychologist, they turn to the cross. They kneel, cry and open up their hearts begging for the strength to pardon and implore the Lord’s help. The children are taught to reverently kiss the crucifix daily and to thank him for the day before going to bed. These children dream of enthroning one day a crucifix of their own. The family is indissolubly united to the cross of Christ.

my daughters treasure framed copies of their wedding invitations, made by a friend of ours who is retired. He buys the mattes and frames at the dollar store, and uses stickies such as quilled flowers, doves etc. dried flowers, lace scraps etc. from the scrapbooking and craft section of the same store to decorate. They cost under $10 each and really are lovely.

DD also received a nice gift, which she used and now treasures, a pretty journal, also from the dollar store or Target, not expensive, spiral with pages blank on one side, lined on the other, for reflections and memories of honeymoon and the first year. It was made by some of her friends at school, they made a collage of wedding/honeymoon/first home/travel pictures from magazines on the covers, covered with clear contac paper, and boxed it with a pretty pen and some scotch tape.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.