Going to Confession with another person

Hello -

Is it ever possible to receive the sacrament of penance with another person? My boyfriend has indicated to me that before we marry, he would like for us to go to confession together, as he would find that easier than going by himself.

I had never thought about this before - does anyone know if it is permitted?

Thanks!
- Clare

I have never thought about that before either.

I did a quick google search and this came up:

Update: November 3, 2007. Fr. Deitzen, after communication with the Congregation for Divine Worship and Sacraments, has basically withdrawn his assertion that couples may receive the sacrament of confession together.

canonlaw.info/2007/08/spouses-should-not-attempt-joint.html

Interesting read, at least.

=clare78;10591997]Hello -

Is it ever possible to receive the sacrament of penance with another person? My boyfriend has indicated to me that before we marry, he would like for us to go to confession together, as he would find that easier than going by himself.

Thanks!
- Clare

NO,
One sinner; One God and One Confession by self to God's priest.

[quote="clare78, post:1, topic:322039"]
Hello -

Thanks!
- Clare

[/quote]

No. Not permitted.

When he said he would like to go to confession together, he may have meant both of you go to church together, but one enter the confessional at a time. Since this sacrament is important to him, I would think he knows that only one person goes in at a time.

You can both (and probably should) go to church at the same time for confession but you can't actually enter the booth together and do a joint confession.

[quote="kaneata, post:5, topic:322039"]
When he said he would like to go to confession together, he may have meant both of you go to church together, but one enter the confessional at a time. Since this sacrament is important to him, I would think he knows that only one person goes in at a time.

[/quote]

If that isn't what he meant it sure is an excellent solution. They are still going together, get to stand in line together, can even do an examination of conscious quietly beforehand. This can make the whole process prayerful and memorable...and frankly a little easier.

Of course however; it makes sense that only one person in at a time. Just before holy week, my wife and I went together. I let her go in first, but we waited together..which was nice.:tada:

Hi -

Thanks for your answers. I didn't think it was something that was allowed, but I thought I would check. I agree that going to the church at the same time, praying together, and then receiving the sacrament singly would be lovely.

• Clare

[quote="Sheadad, post:7, topic:322039"]
If that isn't what he meant it sure is an excellent solution. They are still going together, get to stand in line together, can even do an examination of conscious quietly beforehand. This can make the whole process prayerful and memorable...and frankly a little easier.

Of course however; it makes sense that only one person in at a time. Just before holy week, my wife and I went together. I let her go in first, but we waited together..which was nice.:tada:

[/quote]

NOT together! :eek: Our sins are between us and the priest, in persona Christi! Not for someone else to see or hear.

:eek:

I would have to agree with the others – one at a time goes in to the confessional.

That’s more “togetherness” than I’d ever want!!

No. Each sinner goes to Confession alone after a thorough examination of conscience. Your boyfriend will just have to man up and go. It's not scary, trust me. I've been Catholic for almost sixteen years and all is well. :thumbsup:

[quote="clare78, post:1, topic:322039"]
Hello -

Thanks!
- Clare

[/quote]

While confession together with another person (such as a fiance) is not permitted... part of the preparation for the sacrament of Marriage includes couselling sessions with your priest. Deep topics are brought up by the priest for discussion. In my case we met with the priest 3 times for about an hour each time, and we went on a diocesean reteat as well.

Anyway, your question is not about Marriage prep, but I promise I have a point! --- After getting to know your priest, you could ask the same priest to hear both of your confessions (separately of course) but your boyfriend would be more comfortable going to someone he is familiar with.

Like others have said, you can’t go “in” with him. But let him know you’ll be right there for him before and after, and ask that he is there to do the same for you. :slight_smile:

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.