Going to talk with our Priest today

I’m converting, so my wife(whois a confirmed Catholic) and I have to talk with the priest today about getting our marriage recognized by the church.

I’m a bit nervous about it, can someone tell me what he’ll want to talk about?:o

If you were married according to Church law, then you don't need to do anything.

If your wife married you outside the Catholic Church without a dispensation from form, then you will need to have the marriage convalidated.

For a convalidation, the priest does the same thing he does with every couple seeking marriage-- there is paperwork which seeks to establish freedom to marry, some discussion on the sacrament, and whatever else the diocese requires. He will also do the paperwork for permission for the mixed marriage from the Bishop. Then you will set up a time/date to exchange vows in the Catholic form. Voila, valid marriage. Then you will be received into the Church.

[quote="mcrow, post:1, topic:229610"]
I'm converting, so my wife(whois a confirmed Catholic) and I have to talk with the priest today about getting our marriage recognized by the church.

I'm a bit nervous about it, can someone tell me what he'll want to talk about?:o

[/quote]

He's going to ask you about the circumstances of your marriage, how it happened. He'll tell you what you need to do in order to get your marriage convalidated.

Don't be nervous!

I don't really have an answer to what you asked, but I wanted to say, congratulations!!!

Don't worry about what he is going to say, just explain where you guys are at right now, and he can help you figure out what needs to be done, if anything.

I'll say a prayer for your nerves, but it is awesome that you are taking these steps, welcome Home!!!!!!

First of all, congratulations! I'm sure you'll be excited to have your marriage con-validated.

Your questions prompted me to (finally) become a member--- my husband and I are having our con-validation ceremony next Saturday. :)

Here is what we had to do: make sure your wife has copies of her baptism/communion/confirmation documents. I called my old parish, and they had them within a week. They must be stamped within the last six months (or at least they had to be in my case).

Both my husband and I had to fill out paperwork with the priest. These were basic questions about whether or not either of us were being coerced, or incapable of making a decision to be married, or if there were any impediments to marriage (lack of openness to have children, a divorce, etc).

We were given witness forms. Both of us had to have two witnesses testify that we're capable of choosing to get married, etc. They had to fill them out in front of a priest, who also signed them. Those were then mailed back to the priest at my parish.

We then had another meeting to go over all the information we had collected. In our case, I had to have a form filled out because my husband is not baptized (he will accept all the sacraments at Easter, yay!). So far, that was the only cost incurred, since it was ten dollars to have the form processed by the diocese.

Some dioceses will have you take marriage counseling courses, some won't. I think that it depends in large part on the length of the marriage. We've been married for 14 years, and will have to take three evening courses to satisfy all our requirements.

I say "will" because for whatever reason our parish didn't relay this info in a timely manner and our priest wants us to have the marriage convalidated before Lent begins and before my husband is confirmed at Easter, so that he will not be in a disordered marriage. He has never been baptized, so he really is starting with a clean slate!

And, something you might have not thought about is the size of the wedding you want to have. We did the big wedding in '96, so this is just our closest friends and family, and then cake afterwards. There should always be cake. :p

Sorry this is so long, I'm just excited about our upcoming nuptials, and I'm excited about yours too. :)

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.