Golems?

Hi,

So I was reading an answer from Ask An Apologist here on CA concerning the Kabballah.

The apologist cited this article and I noticed something that really jumped out to me.

jewfaq.org/kabbalah.htm

***One scholar is said to have created an artificial man by reciting various names of G-d. Much later stories tell of a rabbi who created a man out of clay (a golem) and brought it to life by putting in its mouth a piece of paper with a name of G-d on it. However, this area of Kabbalah (if indeed it is more than mere legend) is not something that is practiced by the average Jew, or even the average rabbi. ***

Is this even possible? Is this considered ‘occultic’? I thought only God could create life and even if he hand was in the creation of the golem, why would it be made in the first place?

Are the magi considered being cultic?

In the absence of evidence that the Golem is any more than legend, I wouldn’t be concerned.

The story of the Golem has the Rabbis of Prague creating it to fight persecution in or around the 1570s (AD). The body of the Golem is said to remain in the attic of that city’s medieval synagogue. Certainly in the far greater persecutions of Judaism since then, if the power to create such protector beings were any more than legend, Golem would have been reinstated?

ICXC NIKA.

the link is not to ‘ask an apologist’.

That link wasn’t supposed to lead to the apologist.

The apologist cited this link when answering a question about the Kabbalah. Which is why I used it.

Here is the link to the apologist:

forums.catholic.com/showthread.php?t=311216

In the story, the Golem wasn’t deactivated because it was no longer needed; it was deactivated because it had started to turn on its creators. While its creator intended it to “protect the Jews”, in reality it was to wreak vengeance against those who were attacking the Jews. In order to do so it had to kill the ones who were controlling it and giving the orders. It’s a story about the abuse of power and the reality of revenge: “Before you embark on a journey of revenge, dig two graves.”

The Golem will be reactivated only when there is one sufficiently free of sin who can give it commands; IOW, it awaits the arrival of HaMashiach – the Messiah.

So Jesus can command golems… never heard that one before. I need to write that down somewhere… :nerd:

Jesus can command ANYTHING! He’s like … pretty much … God, isn’t he?

:wink: :smiley:

If golems exist, it goes without saying.

Hence this sentence: “The apologist cited this article and I noticed something that really jumped out to me.”

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.