Gonzaga University will cover contraception but promises to clearly communicate Church teaching

catholicworldreport.com/Blog/1778/jesuit_gonzaga_university_will_cover_contraception.aspx

While more than 100 institutions and individuals—including Catholic colleges and universities—have filed suit against the Obama administration over the HHS mandate, the president of Gonzaga University announced last week to faculty and staff that the Jesuit school in Spokane, Washington will be complying with the mandate. GU President Thayne McCulloh said that the university will provide coverage for contraception under its health insurance plan starting December 1, 2012.

:banghead::crying::juggle::signofcross::crutches:

Not a surprise. There are going to be quite a few of these.

Many for-profit and some non-profits will follow. These will be hospitals, clinics, some universities and so on. Not all of them will cave in though.

Some of these institutions will be sold, some will be consigned to lay boards if they aren’t already. Gonzaga is probably already run by a lay board in fact.

Some will try to maintain the status quo, meaning they already offer birth control and have for years. They’ll try to just pretend nothing is going on and still claim they’re Catholic. In some dioceses they might get away with it too. In some, no.

The real “reorg action” should take place in dioceses, where I certainly hope good lawyers have been working over the pieces to make this as painless as possible, while safely & morally maintaining what they can.

It really hurts to see constitutional liberties tossed out the door.

Makes you lose faith in the system.

To lose faith in the system, Capt, you have to have more faith in the system than I have. This country has been messed up for some time.

I don’t know what our Diocese is like (Dubuque), but our deanery is a blast. Lots of cafeteria Catholics, many in Church positions, and a high school that covered contraception/abortion before HHS. (a teacher told us, I may be wrong). Yeah, its frustrating. :mad:

Fallen. Fallen is Gonzaga the great.

Trust me, they ain’t the only ones, pal. Better question: Wat’cha gonna do about it? :shrug:

How do you clearly communicate Church teaching when you are endorsing the use of an intrinsic evil?

I sympathize, persecution is a very difficult thing and without the Lord’s graces I know that I wouldn’t have a hope in holding up under similar circumstances. Unfortunately, Gonzaga’s president is making the wrong decision here… Bending to the whims of evil is never an option for any loyal Catholic regardless of how scary the enemy is.

Lord, for the sake of His sorrowful passion, have mercy on us and on the whole world.

Complying with a government mandate and choosing not to close, or be subjected to fines, is not the same thing as endorsing a product. In fact, by keeping their doors open, staying under the radar, and teaching their employees the Catholic teachings regarding ABCs, they are making more of a contribution than a business entity that stubbornly closes their doors, which results in their employees losing their jobs.

This is a good teaching opportunity for Gonzaga University to spread the teachings of the Church. Business that throw their employees under the bus over this will only make people hate the Church more.

With all due respect, I have to disagree. This is still (I believe) material cooperation with evil. They should join/file the lawsuit, not give in.

:twocents:

It’s okay, you can disagree :slight_smile: that’s what discussion forums are for :slight_smile:

But I have to say, I never did understand why complying with the government’s healthcare mandate is any different than paying taxes (which also pay for ABCs). I see no difference at all between the two. They’re both the same. So I suppose that people opposed to this healthcare mandate will also be subjected to fines and/or jail time for not paying their taxes under the same principles.

Why hasn’t you Bishop or anyone else reported this to the Head of the Jesuit Province, with a copy sent to the head of the Jesuit order in Rome?
I’m sure a barrage of letters to these authorities, or to each and every American Cardinal would get a response…if no other than Gonzaga not calling itself Catholic anymore - like Notre Dame.

Report what? I’m really confused here. And what about Notre Dame?

Ewpoerr What? Report what this thread is about, that a Catholic, A Jesuit run University is paying, through its medical insurance for not only contraception, but the abortion pill, etc. for their staff and students. The counter argument that they don’t pay for these things directly, it is the insurance company that pays for them is a specious argument, in that where doe the insurance company get the funding for these thing? From the University.
Reporting this action by Gonzaga may not get them to change their policy…but it will sure make a lot of people there uncomfortable and possibly may cause some of them to reconsider their positions.

Please don’t lecture us on morality. The US Bishops which you were so fond of quoting in morally justifying a vote for Obama, certainly don’t agree with you with dozens of them suing the Government over this matter.

While Gonzaga hasn’t gone as far off the deep end as many of the Universities that were Catholic prior to the Land o’ Lakes Statement, and still retains somewhat of a Catholic culture, I’m afraid they are starting to go the way of Georgetown, Boston, etc.

When their law school has myriad student groups for various left-leaning causes, secular political causes, and groups for Protestant and Mormon students, but NO St. Thomas More Society for Catholic students, that says something right there.

Illicit cooperation with evil.

I heard of somebody that attended the unviersity that said they send nursing students to Planned Parenthood and as far as they know, still do.

[LIST=1]
*]Archbishop Desmond Tututo have a commencement speech at the university and he supports gay marriage and abortion

*]Campus production of the Vagina monologues which is known for glorifing lesbianism and masturbation was allowed

*]Jane Goodall spoke at the university who previously said

”The Catholic Church makes quite a major problem when you are trying to balance between people and their environment and that’s what has to happen.”

*]New York times columnist Thomas Friedman spoke at the university has credited the 1 child Chinese policy and backs population group Population Matters that says it believes that contraception is preferable but abortion has be available and Chairman Roger Martin said

“The Catholic Church does much good in the world, but the effects are nullified by its uniquely inhumane doctrine on, and campaign against, contraception”

*]Discussion of Homosexuality in Student Paper Omits Full Church Teaching

*]Lesbian Rabbi is teaching in religious studies department

*]Officials have allowed a ‘sexual awarenewss committee’ on campus

*]University advertised for an LGBT coordinator
[/LIST]

Anybody who cooperates with the HHS mandate is cooperating with sin

Excerpt from interview with Cardinal Raymond Burke

lifenews.com/2012/04/10/catholic-cardinal-a-sin-to-cooperate-with-obama-mandate

Jenn Giroux, the former Executive Director of HLI America, profiles some excerpts from the interview:

Thomas McKenna: “It is beautiful to see how the faithful have rallied behind the Hierarchy….How does your Eminence comment on the union of solidarity of our bishops?”

Cardinal Burke: “Yes, I have received emails and other communications from lay faithful who say that they are supporting their bishops 100% and they have communicated to their bishops their gratitude and assured them that they want them to continue to be courageous and not to be deceived by any kind of false accommodations which in fact continue this same kind of agenda which sadly we have witnessed for too long in our country which is totally secular and therefore is anti-life and anti-family. I admire very much the courage of the bishops. At the same time I believe they would say it along with me that they are doing no more than their duty. A bishop has to protect his flock and when any individual or government attempts to force the flock to act against conscience in one of its most fundamental precepts then the bishops have to come to defend those who are entrusted to their pastoral care. So I am deeply grateful to all of the bishops who have spoken about this and who are encouraging the members of their flock to also speak up because our government needs to understand that what is being done with this mandate is contrary first of all to the fundamental human right, the right to the free exercise of one’s conscience and at the same time contrary to the very foundation of our nation.”

Thomas McKenna: “So a Catholic employer, really getting down to it, he does not, or she does not provide this because that way they would be, in a sense, cooperating with the sin…the sin of contraception or the sin of providing a contraceptive that would abort a child, is this correct?”

Cardinal Burke: “This is correct. It is not only a matter of what we call “material cooperation” in the sense that the employer by giving this insurance benefit is materially providing for the contraception but it is also “formal cooperation” because he is knowingly and deliberately doing this, making this available to people. There is no way to justify it. It is simply wrong.”

My emphases

Can you explain why? If you pay federal income tax at least part goes to Planned Parenthood.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.