Good and Fair Book on the Catholic Sex Scandel

Hey. I was wondering if anyone knew if there are any fair and honest books about the Catholic Church sex scandal. I’ve been collecting articles on this just for my own research. I like having these types of things on hand so when I tell people about the Church, its beliefs, and misunderstandings I can give them some proof. I’m a scientist so citing my sources is ingrained in me. :smiley:

nccbuscc.org/nrb/johnjaystudy/

Do you have a copy of the John Jay study?

It’s available on the USCCB website.

Thank you Barbkw I was looking of this study. I saw it mentioned in an article I downloaded here. Thank you.

Pedophiles and Priests: Anatomy of a Contemporary Crisis by Philip Jenkins is good. It was published 2001 - before the Jhn Jay study.

While there were pedophile priests (men who predatory rape very young children and preteens) the majority were pederast priests (adult men who are attracted to male teens).

While there were pedophile priests (men who predatory rape very young children and preteens) the majority were pederast priests (adult men who are attracted to male teens).

The book covers this as well as well as celibacy of priests which is always brought up as part of the problem.

Celibacy is not the problem. Unfaithfulness to the priesthood - including unfaithfulness to the practice of chastity - is the problem.

Indeed - the author discusses this thoroughly.

Goodbye Good Men - is about the causes.

Thank you. I'll check my local books stores. Thank you again.

Both books are relavant; jenkins’s book addresses the charges made against the Church in the media and others who are misinformed. Rose’s book zeros in on the seminaries.

I would suggest "Lead Us Not Into Temptation", by New Orleans journalist (and Catholic) Jason Berry. Berry was among the very first to delve into the problem, and this book, published in 1992, gives a gritty (to say the least) look at the problem in several different venues.

My husband and I met Berry several years ago, and I was most impressed with his sincerity and the very real anguish he felt about the situation.

Berry's book is an interesting, early look at the problem in this country. He also wrote "Vows of Silence", which is about Fr. Maciel and Legion of Christ scandal, though I have not yet read that.

Is Jason Berry’s book fair towards the church. As in it doesn’t blame the Church for the problems, but places responsibility on the people who committed the crimes? I ask because he has been on some History Chanel and National Geographic Channel programs and seems keen to blame the Church. Although these channels are hardly unbias when it comes to the Church.

To be honest, I think that the institutional “Church” - in the form of some administrators and some bishops - IS to blame for much of what happened, and that to deny such is unrealistic. Of course, it was individuals who committed the molestation, but the “official” Church often swept it under the rug, simply moving perpetrators from parish to parish. There is no denying this.

There is plenty of blame to go around; we have some firsthand knowledge of instances of abuse - of both adolescent males and women - and have been appalled at how the situations were handled by members of the Church hierarchy who should have been Christ-like, and were not.

Thankfully, there are many good Catholics who have been outspoken in the defense of those who were abused and who will not permit the wrongs of the past to continue, and many, many good priests. Those who committed the molestation - and those who did not take action against the perpetrators - played right into the hands of those who hate the Church, and who gladly seized upon this tragedy.

dixieagle, wouldn’t the administrators and bishops be people who acted independently of what the Catholic church teaches. If they had followed the teachings of the church then the scandal would not have happened.

If you’re looking for something more recent that covers the abuse scandals, I recommend this one:

Pope Benedict XVI and the Sexual Abuse Crisis: Working for Reform and Renewal by Greg Erlandson and Matthew Bunson

This book came out less than a year ago, so it may have more pertinent info to claims you will encounter, specifically related to Pope Benedict and his role.

[quote="Cliff_Jumper, post:15, topic:229199"]
dixieagle, wouldn't the administrators and bishops be people who acted independently of what the Catholic church teaches. If they had followed the teachings of the church then the scandal would not have happened.

[/quote]

Absolutely true - had they been faithful to what they should have done (the wayward priests, all the way through the bishops who failed) this would not have happened. Sadly, that was not the case, and the institutional Church is paying a price for this failure.

**The Courage to be Catholic: Crisis, Reform and the Future of the Church **by George Weigel, published in 2002, also has a good treatment on the subject.

[quote="Barbkw, post:7, topic:229199"]
Celibacy is not the problem. Unfaithfulness to the priesthood - including unfaithfulness to the practice of chastity - is the problem.

[/quote]

I totally agree ;). Being celibate does not make you a peadophile. Also an American policeman (who was not a Catholic if I remember correctly) stated on the Catholic League website there were statistically more convictions of sex crimes carried out against children (i feel awful even writing those words) in the country amongst clerics of other denominations than there were Catholic priests, most of whom were married with children of their own, so obviously celibacy is not the problem. I think the problem is the world is trapped in a social bubble where all kinds of people are happy to go with the mob and carry out a witch hunt against Catholic priests but refuse to recognise they have problems in their own communities. Jesus even said how can you remove a splinter from someone's eye when you have a log in your own?

[quote="Joe_5859, post:16, topic:229199"]
If you're looking for something more recent that covers the abuse scandals, I recommend this one:

Pope Benedict XVI and the Sexual Abuse Crisis: Working for Reform and Renewal by Greg Erlandson and Matthew Bunson

This book came out less than a year ago, so it may have more pertinent info to claims you will encounter, specifically related to Pope Benedict and his role.

[/quote]

Thank you for this suggestion as well.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.