Good Bible study for both Catholics and Protestants?

Hello my brothers and sisters!
My family are Protestants, but they haven’t been practicing their faith very much: not going to church, not reading the Bible much, all that kind of stuff. Obviously they raised me Protestant and I made the decision to become Catholic. They recently came to me saying that my little sister (she’s 17) doesn’t know the stories of the Bible even though they had read them to us both when we were young, and that she would like to learn them. I suggested that perhaps they should try a Bible study with her, and said that I would join them if they decided to. They asked me if I could find a Bible study for all of us to do. I would like to know if anyone knows of any good Bible studies that I could do with them, specifically to teach my sister of the amazing stories of the Bible. Ultimately, of course, I would love for them to come into the Catholic church, but I have planted the seeds and I don’t want to push them too hard and drive them away. Any suggestions?

Revised Standard Version - Catholic Edition

The Revised Standard Version was translated by both Catholics and Protestants working together. The Catholic Edition has the Books the Protestants rejected.

My husband and I are converts to Catholicism from Evangelical Protestantism.

I highly recommend Jeff Cavins’ The Great Adventure. Get the DVD and the various tools (the notebook, the big chart, the bookmark with the timeline, and the bracelet).

The Great Adventure is a survey of the entire Bible in chronological order, and you do the study in only 4 hours! It’s so much fun and you learn so much.

As a Protestant, I definitely knew my Bible, and Cavins’ study was a review, but it was a badly-needed review. I had forgotten so much of what all those Old Testament books were about.

This would be a perfect Bible study to get someone interested in the Bible stories. It’s good to have an overview before learning the stories, because then you know where the stories fit into the “big picture.”

Cavins’ also has many other Bible studies and they’re all good. My Protestant father-in-law has attended every one of them with me at our parish and loves Jeff Cavins as a teacher! Cavins is a former Protestant pastor who converted, and he’s very good at in-depth Bible study.

But The Great Adventure is a good place to start. It’s fun, too, and the bracelet may seem corny, but it’s very helpful.

Good hint–your parish or another Catholic church in your city/town may already have a copy of Jeff Cavins’ The Great Adventure DVD, along with the chart and possibly even some of the bracelets and bookmarks. Check with them to see if you can borrow/rent it. It would be a lot cheaper than buying it yourself.

Great! I’ll check it out! Thank you!

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.