Good Book for a Protestant Pastor

Born Fundamentalist, Born Again Catholic by David Currie (you can get it here).

Hope this helps.

God bless.

Cathoholic

I have read probably all the books suggested here and I recommend them all as well. However the book that helped me most was Born Fundamentalist; Born Again Catholic by David B. Currie. Check it out on Amazon. I cannot recommend this book highly enough!

smile.amazon.com/Born-Fundamentalist-Again-Catholic/dp/089870569X/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1413132755&sr=1-1&keywords=born+fundamentalist+born+again+catholic

I likewise recommend the Surprised by Truth series by Madrid.

Keith, may I suggest that you and your pastor follow the example of the Bereans in Acts 17? When Paul and Silas went to Berea to bring the good news of the gospel, the Bereans searched the scriptures to see if what they were hearing was true.

From Act 17:

“10 The brethren immediately sent Paul and Silas away by night to Berea, and when they arrived, they went into the synagogue of the Jews. 11 Now these were more noble-minded than those in Thessalonica, for they received the word with great eagerness, examining the Scriptures daily to see whether these things were so. 12 Therefore many of them believed, along with a number of prominent Greek women and men.”

So in a word, the only book I could recommend is the Bible. Every other book outside of the Bible needs to be examined carefully and compared with scripture to see if it lines up with the truth of God’s word.

So, where to start? I think it would be logical to start at the gospels to find the answer to the question: How can I be saved from sin and death?

Elaine

Please do not derail. OP is asking for a book other than the bible. They are searching for the Church - the one true Church - that Christ founded.

Confessions of a Mega Church Pastor by Allen Hunt.

bks6.books.google.com/books?id=-zvZRwAACAAJ&printsec=frontcover&img=1&zoom=1&imgtk=AFLRE73bt7jp4ez7CjLQte-sZ7I9nyrwkn5rHq6jtDyGc7YBzG84frFAMGkQXYoUxXZAo5TpZQ5e9kBdfgA0vk0lPgor2SzYzQPME3_BBQc56MluidrCLXnzjdPK1XKx-QKvipOvPMdD

My good friend is a Methodist Pastor who went to Seminary with Allen Hunt. Allen Hunt himself was ordained in the Methodist Church and left for Catholicism.

youtube.com/watch?v=UHcoXkDwE0A

-Tim-

Hello! As a recent convert to Catholicism, my input is given with a large serving of humility.

I’m also a voracious reader and one of the most exciting aspects of my conversion is the 2000 years worth of newly found books to devour; the great wealth of knowledge, experience and insight from the Doctors, Fathers, Saints and great Catholics of the Church!

I completely agree about “Where we got the Bible; Our debt to the Catholic Church” by Henry G. Graham. This book is a “must read” for every Christian, whether Catholic or Protestant. I would only suggest that you pick up the version that includes the author’s conversion story, as he was a Protestant pastor before becoming a Catholic priest.

Another great possibility is “Why I became a Catholic; A timeless conversion story” by Sir Joseph Pope. The author was Anglican prior to his conversion.

I pray for God’s will in your interactions with your friend!

Peace be with you!

Michael

That was a really good book!

Jesus Shock by Peter Kreeft

The Privilege of Being Catholic by Father Oscar Lukefahr, CM (don’t be fooled by the title- sounds arrogant? it is not. “Acknowledging that it is a privilege to be Catholic is to recognize God’s Gift in calling us to this Church.) We do not look down on other churches, but respect the sincere beliefs of others and see the genuine goodness in many holy people of every creed. And as we cannot really love others unless we love ourselves, we cannot really respect and cherish the goodness in other churches unless we do so first in our own.”

God’s Blessings be upon you as you journey home.

I too have read most of the books suggested. I recommend " Born Fundamentalist, Born Again Catholic" and the “Suprised By Truth” series.

Another good book that goes with the Catechism is:

The Compendium of the Catechism of the Catholic church

Catholics’ hunger for the faith continues to grow. Pope Benedict XVI gives the Church the “food” that is seeks in the 598 questions and answers in the Compendium of the Catechism of the Catholic Church. This 200-page volume offers a quick synopsis of the essential contents of the faith as promulgated in the Catechism of the Catholic Church. Like the 1992 Catechism, the Compendium has a four-part structure, and includes a section on common prayers and Catholic doctrinal formulas. Because of the question-and-answer format, catechetical leaders-parents, pastors, teachers, principals, and catechists-have a unique opportunity to dialogue with the faithful, and reinvigorate the Church’s ongoing mission of evangelization and catechesis. Individuals can come “to know the unfathomable riches of the salvific mystery of Jesus Christ” by reading, using, and memorizing parts of the Compendium of the Catechism. An essential tool for youth and young adults, the Compendium is the perfect companion to a youth or young adult’s Bible, spiritual reading, or textbook. Catechetical leaders in high schools, colleges, and parishes will appreciate its versatility-as a reference book, discussion starter, or core resource for RCIA programs. Fourteen images taken from masterpieces of Christian art set a tone for each part or section. “The sacred images, with their beauty, are also a proclamation of the Gospel and express the splendor of the Catholic truth,” explained Pope Benedict XVI. The Compendium of the Catechism was prepared by a commission presided by the then Cardinal Joseph Ratzinger. Following the request for greater appreciation of the Catechism, and in order to meet a widespread need that emerged during the 2002 International Catechetical Congress, in 2003 the Holy Father established a special commission, presided by the prefect of the Congregation for the Doctrine of the Faith, that he charged with preparing a Compendium of the Catechism of the Catholic Church, containing a more concise and dialogic version of the same contents of Catholic faith and morals.

I believe that the most important “clue” to the truth of the Catholic faith is the Eucharist and so I recommend a most fascinating book called Jesus and the Jewish Roots of the Eucharist by Brant Pitre.

For instance, an entire chapter is given on the little known or talked about “Bread of the Presence”. God commanded Moses to make three sacred objects to be kept inside the Tabernacle:

1. The Ark of the Covenant:

2. The golden Lampstand (Menorah):

3. The golden table of the Bread of the Presence. (Exodus 25:23-24. 29-30)

There were also “flagons and bowls” for pouring libations (sacrificial drink offerings) in conjunction with the Bread.

And,

“Every Sabbath day Aaron shall set it in order before the LORD continually on behalf of the sons of Israel as an everlasting covenant.” Leviticus 24: 5-7

So (according to Pitre) the Bread of the Presence is explicitly identified as the sign of the “everlasting covenant”

The Bread of the Presence was considered a 'most holy" sacrifice.

What an amazing correlation and foreshadowing of the Eucharist and the Real Presence of our Lord.

And there is a lot more said in the book on this, and on Melchizedek and on the manna and on the last supper. All of which can not be easily put aside. Protestantism needs to be converted by the mere fact of the Real Presence Eucharist.

The Summa Theologica

In Latin

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.