Good book for biblical basis of Catholic teachings?

Hello!

My husband and I have recently found ourselves with a number of Protestant friends. I have been surprised at some of the things they believe, like “Christmas trees are forbidden in the Bible” and “infant baptism isn’t in the Bible” and they are completely OK with any books being removed from the Bible which do not mention the Messiah. I’ve always encountered “once saved always saved” and “sola scriptura” but there’s always something new that our friends say when we talk!

We try to explain why the Catholic Church has authority/was founded by Christ, where the Bible comes from, etc. However, since our friends don’t put any weight on Tradition, it’s much more effective for our conversations if we can point to the biblical basis for Catholic teachings.

Do you have any books you can recommend that explain Catholicism and the Bible? And/or books that offer commentary on difficult/controversial biblical passages? (Like when people say the world is only ~6,000 years old, if you add up numbers/generations from some part of the Bible)

Thank you!
Sorry for any typos or awkward phrasing, I don’t usually post from my phone! :slight_smile:

Besides the catechism, in your situation I would recommend:

The Protestant’s Dilemma by Devin Rose (a former evangelical)

Or

Go to YouTube and watch Dr David Anders, also a former evangelical, explain it thoroughly on The Journey Home:

youtu.be/R5NT32Y-Mrk

Catholicism and Fundamentalism by Karl Keating.

Jimmy Akin has one out that I haven’t read called, A Daily Defense.

Thank you!

I had heard of The Protestant’s Delima, I will see if the library has it. And the video is new to me, thanks! :slight_smile:

Y’know I just heard a thing on CA live the other day about that Christmas tree thing. It’s bunkum obviously…Is Catholicism Pagan?

There are a number of excellent sources though.

John Martignoni’s Bible Christian Society has free CDs and MP3 downloads that are a huge help and his archive of email newsletters is a treasure trove of easy access responses to just about anything that you can encounter.

CA offers some excellent stuff as well, like…
Beginning Apologetics Volume 1: How to Explain and Defend the Catholic Faith

There are some pretty good discussions in apologetics on Sola Scriptura on the forums
It’s NOT in the Bible, okay?
It’s NOT in the Bible, okay? (Part II)
since the Bible is the Word of God it is all we need…
“If anyone teaches/preaches something that is not in scripture”

One very good resource is Devon Rose’s The Protestant’s Dilemma which is well worth the $15.00

I also suggest that you invest in a supply of OSV’s excellent Top Ten Questions Catholics are Asked tract. N-C’s are big on tracts themselves and this one nicely handles what probably are their top 10.

You can also search for allegations on Radio Replies by topic and get 5 volumes worth of very frank and good responses. CA also has an edited hardback version all in a single volume which is outstanding as well.

Good luck and may God bless you and your efforts.:slight_smile:

I second “Catholicism and Fundamentalism” by Karl Keating.

I haven’t yet read “A Daily Defense”, but knowing it is written by Jimmy Akin I bet it is solid.

Try Scott Hahn’s books…stpaulcenter.com/

or John Martingni’s site…Bible Christian Society…biblechristiansociety.com/home

Foot notes of the Catechism is full of Scripture…as is the text itself.

Yes…

And note too

Foot notes of the Catechism is full of Scripture…as is the text itself.

And of course depending on what topic -there will be particular works on that topic one can search out.

Wow! Thank you everyone so much for your responses! You have offered me great resources, and I’ve been checking them out. Too bad some of these aren’t at the library, but I will look for used copies and the online resources.

Thanks again! :slight_smile:

If you’re looking for free resources, try:

biblechristiansociety.com with John Martignoni. He has links to answers for typical questions as well as a newsletter

johnsalza.com/p/scripturefathers.html

An older book, but one I found quite helpful (and the text is online) is: Where We Got the Bible: Our Debt to the Catholic Church by The Right Rev. Henry G. Graham. :slight_smile:

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.