Good Books for Catholic Newly-Weds

I know there was a thread on this, but I cannot find it. Two of my best friends are marrying each other in September and I’m looking for something meaningful to give them.

I’m thinking about: Seven Levels of Intimacy…can’t remember who wrote it…Matthew Kelley?

But I’m also wondering what some other good books for newly weds are.

Thank you.

I’m a Catholic newlywed myself and I would be interested in hearing the replies to this thread too!
So far the book that’s helped me my new marriage the most is the Bible. If you’re looking to give a book as a gift, maybe you could consider giving a really nice one. There are lots of leatherbound, heirloom quality family Bibles they might appreciate more than a book of advice they may or may not end up reading. I gave one to my husband last Christmas and he loves it! It’s displayed in our living room right now.

Here are some (in no particular order):

[LIST]
*]A Catholic Handbook for Engaged and Newly Married Couples by Frederick Marks
*]For Better...Forever!: A Catholic Guide to Lifelong Marriage by Greg Popcak
*]Parenting With Grace: Catholic Parent's Guide to Raising Almost Perfect Kids by Greg & Lisa Popcak
*]Holy Sex!: A Catholic Guide to Toe-Curling, Mind-Blowing, Infallible Loving by Greg Popcak
*]The Exceptional Seven Percent: The Nine Secrets of the Worlds Happiest Couples by Greg Popcak
*]The Good News About Sex and Marriage by Christopher West
*]Life-Giving Love : Embracing God's Beautiful Design for Marriage by Kimberly Hahn
*]Three to Get Married by Fulton Sheen
*]Marriage: The Mystery of Faithful Love by Dietrich Von Hildebrand
*]The Catholic Family Handbook: Time-Tested Techniques to Help You Strengthen Your Marriage and Raise Good Kids by Lawrence G. Lovasik
[/LIST]

I would also recommend giving her and buying for her book summaries, since she is probably going to be too busy to read all of the great books out there. Here are some that I recommend

Good News about Sex and Marriage: Answers to Your Honest Questions about Catholic Teaching by Christopher West

Real Love: Answers to Your Questions on Dating, Marriage, and the Real Meaning of Sex By Mary Beth Bonoacci

These would also be helpful for her:

catechismclass.com/marriage-prep
catechismclass.com/lesson/33

Agreed that there is no substitute for the Holy Word of God. I love my Douay Rheims Bible - it is beautiful for display and easy to use, thus serving a practical purpose as well. Here is a link to the one that I own: astore.amazon.com/acatlif-20/detail/0954563115

There was a recent thread where we debated the appropriateness of Catholic “sex manual” type books. There were some differing opinions, but IMO, I would stay away from them (Holy Sex!, Theology of the Body, etc) because it seems intrusive.

I am a little up in the air about marriage guides, a gift like that could be interpreted as a sort of insult – like, you just walked down the aisle, but I’m worried about you already!

For those reasons, I agree – a Bible is a nice way to go.

I also thought a nice framed Wedding Blessing might be nice – like this:

May God be with you and bless you.
May you see your children’s children.
May you be poor in misfortune
and rich in blessings.
May you know nothing but happiness
from this day forward.
–Irish Wedding Blessing

Just a thought.

The Douay Rheims is what I got him! :thumbsup: He loves it! I love it too because the language sounds a lot like the KJV from my old Baptist days and he loves the history behind it.

Yes, a lot depends upon the couple and her relationship with them. That’s why I gave a large list to choose from. :slight_smile:

I could see giving “Holy Sex!” to a close friend because the title is a bit funny and would be good for a laugh, but then it is also a really good book. But, depending upon the couple’s sense of humor, one might go a different route.

This is the last mention of Frederick Marks I can find, and since I’m unable to start a new thread I’ll ask here: Does anyone know if Marks is a trustworthy author? I’m about to read Think and Believe. Thanks.

Honestly, I don’t know much about him in particular. But the book I mentioned above by him is good and it is published by Emmaus Road Publishing, which is a Catholic publisher I trust very much in their ability to find authors that are passionate about thinking with the mind of the Church. For that reason, I would presume he would be fairly reliable.

Thanks. Since I posted that I “looked inside” the book on Amazon, and it does have a nihil obstat and imprimatur.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.