Good books on Mariology?

Hi. What's are some good contemporary books on finding Mary in the Old Testament? Thank you.

[quote="josephback, post:1, topic:322969"]
Hi. What's are some good contemporary books on finding Mary in the Old Testament? Thank you.

[/quote]

Not sure what your looking for here. The Blessed Vrigin Mary, if that's the Mary you mean, is in the new Testament not the Old Testament.

I've read places where the church fathers would see types of Mary in the Old Testament, or things like her perpetual virginity in Ezekiel.

The Echo of God by Fr. Lance Harlow is excellent.

amazon.com/The-Echo-God-Commentary-Beginners/dp/0978829409

echoofgod.com/

[quote="josephback, post:3, topic:322969"]
I've read places where the church fathers would see types of Mary in the Old Testament, or things like her perpetual virginity in Ezekiel.

[/quote]

Ah!! Thank you for that clarification.

Scott Hahn's* Hail Holy Queen* was pretty good. It's more a beginner's in mariology, I don't know if thats what you're looking for, but it might help. It does go through the typology of Mary.

You won't find a much better book than
shop.catholic.com/media/catalog/product/cache/1/small_image/135x/9df78eab33525d08d6e5fb8d27136e95/r/e/refuting-the-attack-on-mary.jpg Refuting The Attack on Mary

$9.95                

True Devotion to Mary by St. Louis De Montfort

[quote="ProdigalSon1211, post:8, topic:322969"]
True Devotion to Mary by St. Louis De Montfort

[/quote]

:thumbsup:

This is essential for anyone who wants to do a consecration to Our Lady.

I've yet to read it but I believe Daughter Zion by Cardinal Joseph Ratzinger (Pope Bendict XVI) examines the Marian typology of the Old Testament.

Have not read this but it looks good:

amazon.com/Queen-Mother-Biblical-Theology-Queenship/dp/1931018243/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1366125309&sr=8-1&keywords=Queen+Mother%3A+A+Biblical+Theology+of+Mary%27s+Queenship

[quote="josephback, post:3, topic:322969"]

[/quote]

You mean like Eve and some others?

...oh...I don't know.

Oh....and the perpetual virginity, I think probably was derived somewhat from the bible itself.

I personally think that was an error made by the ones that declared the perpetual virginity of one woman.

That is something that is to go toward the church on a whole.

Rather in depth work scepterpublishers.org/product/index.php?FULL=372

Since Mary is the Ark of the New Covenant, surely Old Testament passages dealing with the old Ark of the Covenant will be significant.

[quote="Aelred_Minor, post:14, topic:322969"]
Since Mary is the Ark of the New Covenant, surely Old Testament passages dealing with the old Ark of the Covenant will be significant.

[/quote]

Mary, is the Ark of the New Covenant, how?

[quote="Aaron_Creagh, post:15, topic:322969"]
Mary, is the Ark of the New Covenant, how?

[/quote]

catholic.com/magazine/articles/mary-the-ark-of-the-new-covenant

Mary, the Ark As Revealed in Mary's Visit to Elizabeth

Golden Box: Ark of the Old Covenant Mary: Ark of the New Covenant
The ark traveled to the house of Obed-edom in the hill country of Judea (2 Sam. 6:1-11).

Mary traveled to the house of Elizabeth and Zechariah in the hill country of Judea (Luke 1:39).

Dressed as a priest, David danced and leapt in front of the ark (2 Sam. 6:14).

John the Baptist - of priestly lineage - leapt in his mother's womb at the approach of Mary (Luke 1:41).

David asks, "How can the ark of the Lord come to me?" (2 Sam. 6:9).

Elizabeth asks, "Why is this granted me, that the mother of my Lord should come to me?" (Luke 1:43).
David shouts in the presence of the ark (2 Sam. 6:15).

Elizabeth "exclaimed with a loud cry" in the presence of the Mary (Luke 1:42).

The ark remained in the house of Obed-edom for three months (2 Sam. 6:11).

Mary remained in the house of Elizabeth for three months (Luke 1:56).

The house of Obed-edom was blessed by the presence of the ark (2 Sam. 6:11).

The word blessed is used three times; surely the house was blessed by God (Luke 1:39-45).

The ark returns to its home and ends up in Jerusalem, where God's presence and glory is revealed in the temple (2 Sam. 6:12; 1 Kgs. 8:9-11).

Mary returns home and eventually ends up in Jerusalem, where she presents God incarnate in the temple (Luke 1:56; 2:21-22).

Mary as the Ark Revealed by Items inside the Ark

Inside the Ark of the Old Covenant Inside Mary, Ark of the New Covenant

The stone tablets of the law - the word of God inscribed on stone

The body of Jesus Christ - the word of God in the flesh

The urn filled with manna from the wilderness - the miraculous bread come down from heaven

The womb containing Jesus, the bread of life come down from heaven (John 6:41)

The rod of Aaron that budded to prove and defend the true high priest

The actual and eternal High Priest

I left a detailed post earlier, but it seems to have vanished.

Briefly, I highly recommend two books from Ignatius press called

Mary and the Fathers of the Church (ignatius.com/Products/MAFC-P/mary-and-the-fathers-of-the-church.aspx)
Mary in the Middle Ages by the same author

by a man whose first name is Luigi Gambero (as I recall).

very worthwhile.

Luke 1:46-49

46 And Mary said, My soul doth magnify the Lord,

47 And my spirit hath rejoiced in God my Saviour.

48 For he hath regarded the low estate of his handmaiden: for, behold, from henceforth all generations shall call me blessed.

[quote="Aaron_Creagh, post:18, topic:322969"]
Luke 1:46-49

46 And Mary said, My soul doth magnify the Lord,

47 And my spirit hath rejoiced in God my Saviour.

48 For he hath regarded the low estate of his handmaiden: for, behold, from henceforth all generations shall call me blessed.

[/quote]

In this passage, which comes a little after the Luke 1:42 verse posted, it shows Mary in a very appreciative/praise and worship type of mode.

Hi everyone, I’m reading.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.