Good books on moral theology?

Hey! I am looking for in-depth reads on Catholic moral theology. Websites, articles and official church document suggestions would be helpful, but I am really looking for some good books. They can be on the more scholarly end, or the more introductory side, too. I’m just really wanting to know more about Catholic moral principles – especially with regard to issues of sexuality (which I made need to make a separate thread about).

Thank you

I personally found that Living The Truth in Love - a biblical introduction to moral theology , Benedict Ashley, O.P. provides a sturdy platform for anyone wishing to obtain a grip on moral thology and/or who might subsequently wish to advance further in the subject.

(* Although the book will provide certain solid *black and white *[as opposed to *grey area] classifications of situations regarding sexual morality , the scope of the book in general is much broader than that).

:slight_smile:

] classifications of situations regarding sexual morality , the scope of the book in general is much broader than that).

:slight_smile:

Yes that is a good one :thumbsup:

He just recently went to God

Eternal Rest grant unto him O Lord! May Fr. Benedict Ashley rest in peace.

As to the later – one can get “Catholic Sexual Ethics” by Lawler, Boyle, May (OSV) for a start.

Hi, I’d recommend Germain Grisez’s The Way Of The Lord Jesus. It is a veritable library in itself - three thick and dense volumes - but will definitely cover what you are looking for. Personally, I find his style of writing clear, concise and in keeping with magisterial direction.

Sermons of St. Alphonsus. Don’t read it though if You don’t intend to know yourself better, because you’ll realize you smell like sulfur.

tanbooks.com/index.php/page/shop:flypage/product_id/202/

I second this. If you did any sort of in depth study of Catholic moral theology in an academic setting, Grisez’s work would very likely be one of the key textbooks you would use.

I’d second that recommendation. Also consider the writings of Dr. William May, another Catholic theologian.

Currently taking a Moral Theology class at Christendom College. We’re using “The Christian Life” Francis L. B. Cunningham, OP. Very detailed. Also have “An Intorduction to Moral Theology” by William E. May as a reference.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.