Good books on vocation and religious orders

Hi all,

I am discerning right now in my life to consider the religious and priesthood life. As such, I was wondering if there are any good books available on vocations? In particular I am looking for books which talk about the different charisms each religious order practices. I believe this will greatly help in my discernment and preparation.

Pax Christi,
Martin

You're best bet would be to find books specifically on the orders you're looking into. Short of grabbing a vocations magazine, I'm not sure you'll have too much luck, as there are of course many communities.

Wikipedia is oddly not too bad of a resource if you're trying to get information quickly.

Thanks for your thoughts Lamentation :)

The internet is very useful for that. You can find random websites like this: kwl.com.au/httpdocs/Articals/Religious%20Orders.htm

I don't know of any actual books.

Also, reading Vita Consecrata by Blessed Pope John Paul II is a great idea when discerning your vocation.

[quote="catholic_guy83, post:1, topic:341556"]
Hi all,

I am discerning right now in my life to consider the religious and priesthood life. As such, I was wondering if there are any good books available on vocations? In particular I am looking for books which talk about the different charisms each religious order practices. I believe this will greatly help in my discernment and preparation.

Pax Christi,
Martin

[/quote]

Hi Martin,

I would suggest you call a vocation director for each order and ask them to recommend a few books to you. There is no obligation on your part-(when you contact them)

Otherwise you could just go to a local Catholic Bookstore or browse online for Biographies of the different Saints connected with each order.

Blessings on your search

Sr. Debbie OSC

I'm in the same boat with you. Ive found many sites that help out with presenting religious orders.
I personally am thinking about the Jesuits though.

for me visiting the religious communities and meeting the brothers, friars, priest was the best source of knowing if the order was right for me. Books are a good place to start but I think everyone discerning to join a religious order should at least spend some time with them before deciding which one is the right one. There's no equal to seeing with your own eyes the order's charism in action and in the flesh.

Good luck and pray for all of us discerning and we pray for all of you aswell.

Hi all,

Thanks so much for all the feedback and thoughts. Yes I have already contacted the Redemptorist in my area and will be meeting up with them next week. Please continue to pray for me.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.