Good Careers in Theology

I have been thinking lately about pursuing a career in theology. What are some good careers? Is there anyone here who has personal experience with some of these careers?

[quote="YosefYosep, post:1, topic:321172"]
I have been thinking lately about pursuing a career in theology. What are some good careers? Is there anyone here who has personal experience with some of these careers?

[/quote]

Teaching (high school, college or seminary depending on training and experience) . . .public speaking/ giving parish missions, blogging/ writing

Most people who work at the parish level (and not ordained) do not necessarily have training in theology although some DRE's and Pastoral Associates have Master's degrees in Religious Ed or Pastoral Studies. From my experience, jobs are difficult to come by and don't pay much - but it depends on the region of the country you want to work in and if you happen to be bi-lingual where needed.

God's blessings!

[quote="YosefYosep, post:1, topic:321172"]

[/quote]

Have you contacted your diocesan vocations director? they have retreats and other things to help you discern this.

You might also take some classes with your pastoral ministries division that will help you narrow down where your calling may lie.

The question you need to ask is not "what would I like to do" but "what is God calling me to do"?

There are lots of different options. Of course, high school theology teacher is the one that comes to mind first for most people. If you want to go even further in your theological studies, you might teach at the college level, too.

There are a variety of parish positions. Yes, many parishes rely on volunteers for their ministry roles, but many larger parishes will have some paid positions: DRE, Youth Ministry Leader, Adult Faith Formation Leadfer, etc. Most of these positions also have some type of equivalent at the diocesan level.

Catholic publishing companies likely also have some theology people on staff. The most prevalent position available for that would be a sales rep, which basically means you are peddling the merchandise. But it's theological merchandise. ;)

There are a number of Catholic non-profit apostolates out there doing a variety of ministry (like Catholic Answers, for example). They are apt to hire people who know their theology, though they're probably also looking for people who can write and/or present well.

There are even national Catholic groups that would require their people to have a theology background, but most of those people start off in one of the other places first.

Yes, it's not a path to financial abundance. You want to go into it with both eyes open. But there are opportunities out there. You might talk to a guidance counsellor at a Catholic university. They could give you even more specifics about the types of jobs you might find.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.