Good catholic apologetics books to read?

Does anyone have any recommendations for books to read? I was thinking Reasons to Believe: How to Understand, Explain, and Defend the Catholic Faith by Scott Hahn

There is a three volume series of books called “The Faith of the Early Fathers”. These are the earliest writings of Christians that have been condensed and arranged by topic. So if you ever come across a situation where someone asks you to prove that this or that practice or teaching has existed in the Church since the earliest Christians you can say “Aha, here it is! The earliest Christians wrote about it!” or something to that effect. lol

The 3 volume set comes at a very economical price and can be found at the link below at Amazon:

amazon.com/Faith-Early-Fathers-Three–Set/dp/0814610250/ref=sr_1_2?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1386772629&sr=1-2&keywords=the+faith+of+the+early+fathers

Hope this helps.

God bless

I read “Why Catholics Are Right” by Michael Coren. I highly recommend it. Its a relatively short read (180 p) and right to the point on a lot of topics very relevant to the issues/ questions and criticism we face particularly by atheists and non-Catholic Christians.

I personally like John Salza’s books. Very Biblical. “The Biblical Basis for the Papacy” and “The Biblical Basis for the Eucharist” are fantastic! They are written somewhat from a leagalistic point of view (Salza is a lawyer), but VERY good.

Hahn’s book would be a good start. Kreeft & Tacelli’s Handbook of Catholic Apologetics would be good, too.

If you’re looking for quick cliff notes versions of some of the main talking points regarding several key topics and groups, I like San Juan Catholic Seminar’s Beginning Apologetics series.

RSV(CE) best starting point

“Nut’s and bolts” by Tim staples

It’s about his experience with Atheists, Mormons, and protestants.

A Catholic Bible would be a good starting point and have the Catechism of the Catholic Church close at hand also. :slight_smile:

As far as Catholic apologetic books…

If Protestantism Were True by Devin Rose
Born Fundamentalist Born Again Catholic by David Currie
The Hidden Manna by Rev. James T. O’Conner
The Beginning Apologetics Series by Father Frank Chacon and Jim Burnham
As suggested before… John Salza’s books

There are many more.

“Catholicism and Fundamentalism” by Karl Keating and if you can find them around, the “Radio Replies” series by Fathers Leslie Rumble and Charles Carty.

Some I would suggest is Scott Hahn’s “Rome sweet home.”
Also:
What Catholics really believe by Karl Keating
Catholic and Christian by Alan Schreck
Where is that in the bible by Patrick Madrid
Why is that in Tradition by Patrick Madrid
Answer me this! By Patrick Madrid
Upon this Rock by Stephen Ray.

This is just the tip of the iceberg of books that would help. I’d also suggest the two “Surprised by Joy” books. They have several different people telling how they came to the Catholic Church.

Good luck, and great reading. :thumbsup:

Thanks for the recommendations! Now I’ve got to pick lol tough job

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.