Good Catholic Books?

I'm looking for a solid, grabbing, maybe even entertaining Catholic book - fiction or otherwise - that can help set a non-practicing brother on the right path. Any good recommendations?

I’m looking for a good one on how to live a happy, fulfilled, life as a single Catholic before marriage. :slight_smile:

I find Salt of the Earth: *The Church at the End of the Millenium *insightful and very entertaining. I read it back before I decided to go and take RCIA classes. It's an interview between the Pope (back when he was Cardinal Joseph Ratzinger) and Peter Seewald. I was so absorbed in reading in that I didn't feel motion-sickness on the bus for once.

http://www.ignatiusinsight.com/images/bookcovers/ratzinger_sote_lg.jpg

"Why Catholics are Right" by Michael Coren

Here's a video interview of him:

youtube.com/watch?v=RgTviWKWWMo

[quote="austenbosten, post:2, topic:266612"]
I'm looking for a good one on how to live a happy, fulfilled, life as a single Catholic before marriage. :)

[/quote]

I think "real love" by Mary beth bonnacci helped me. Actually these books by Protestants John elredge I think, and his wife, wrote books for men and women about this. Quite good actually. Know your catholic doctrine well before reading.

God's peace. Anything by Carlo Carretto would fill the bill. My favorites are I, Francis, The God Who Comes, The Desert in the City, and Letters from the Desert. Enjoy! Blessings, ~Br. Carlo~

An excellent fiction book that I read recently was The tripods Attack by John Mchnichol. Don't know if its good for non-Catholics though.

[quote="Br.Carlo, post:6, topic:266612"]
God's peace. Anything by Carlo Carretto would fill the bill. My favorites are I, Francis, The God Who Comes, The Desert in the City, and Letters from the Desert. Enjoy! Blessings, ~Br. Carlo~

[/quote]

+1: Carlo Carretto is fantastic!:thumbsup:

[quote="triumphguy, post:4, topic:266612"]
"Why Catholics are Right" by Michael Coren

Here's a video interview of him:

youtube.com/watch?v=RgTviWKWWMo

[/quote]

I can second this book. Fantastic.

[quote="127ten, post:7, topic:266612"]
An excellent fiction book that I read recently was The tripods Attack by John Mchnichol. Don't know if its good for non-Catholics though.

[/quote]

Oh wow. I hadn't heard of this and had to look it up.

Have you read the other Tripod novels or seen the tv show? At any rate, this book gets great reviews and I'm looking forward to reading it at some point! :thumbsup:

Thank you all for your recommendations. I'm going to check them out. Merry Christmas to all of you :)

[quote="SurlyMermaid, post:10, topic:266612"]
Oh wow. I hadn't heard of this and had to look it up.

Have you read the other Tripod novels or seen the tv show? At any rate, this book gets great reviews and I'm looking forward to reading it at some point! :thumbsup:

[/quote]

Mchnichols book is not a part of that as far as I know, at least I knew nothing about them when I read it, and followed pretty well. It is more of a mash up of early 20th century literature that includes GKC, Wells, and several others. The sequel just came out, and supposedly its pretty good.

Also, when you get the chance, make sure you find all the cameos!:thumbsup:

http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/41oqzLM7BPL._BO2,204,203,200_PIsitb-sticker-arrow-click,TopRight,35,-76_AA300_SH20_OU01_.jpg

That is an awesome book (a true story) about a priest, Fr. Ciszek (from Pennsylvania), who was captured and made a prisoner in Soviet Russia.

It's a really good read and it's a very interesting read. I was amazed at how quickly I had finished the book. Usually it takes a lot to keep me occupied, but it was hard for me to put it down.

I've only read Father Elijah by Michael O'Brien, but it was excellent, a beautiful counterpiece to LaHaye/Jenkins and their Left Behind mess. He has two other books in this series I haven't read, but I loved loved loved Father Elijah. A Holocaust-survivor convert monk/priest is sent on a special mission to try to convert and save the man who the Pope believes will become the Antichrist. Maybe not a great description, but a beautiful story on all fronts.

The Shadow of His Wings, an auto-biography by Fr. Goldmann is a tale about a man who was in the Gestapo during WWII yet still remained Catholic (and even a priest!). Very interesting, very inspiring. Also a quite easy read. Good for trips or day to day reading!

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.