Good Catholic evangelism over-view

I have been gettting interested in evangelism from a Catholic perspective. As a former Southern Baptist I was involved in evangelism. I am interested in a basic over-view of some good steps for Catholics to evangelize, such as a simple step by step formula. Thank you!

I too, am a convert. It, IMHO, starts with someoe saying, “Hey come go to Church with me”. I really don’t think there is any manual, it’s spur of the moment, a polite invitation and smile, Then … drive over and pick them up, then drop them back home afterwards Thank them for attending, then… ask them for next week. Everyone here should feel the knowledge that we are in an expanding Church. It IS expoding in numbers and carrying the message of Jesus Christ forward. Yes, we even have people in some parts of the earth that are persecuted / killed for being Catholc.
I am excited about being Catholic!

Good question. I’ve asked many Roman Catholics to share the Gospel with me and none of them can even seem to define it, even though the insist that it’s “preached at every mass”.

It’s been my experience that when a non-Roman Catholic talks about evangelism, he’s talking about sharing the Gospel with them in order that they might be convicted and put their faith in Christ, while, when a Roman Catholic talks about evangelism, he’s talking about getting somebody to convert to Roman Catholicism.

It’s been my experience that when a non-Roman Catholic talks about evangelism, he’s talking about sharing the Gospel with them in order that they might be convicted and put their faith in Christ, while, when a Roman Catholic talks about evangelism, he’s talking about getting somebody to convert to Roman Catholicism.

Perhaps we are seeing the same donkey from different ends. HAHAHAHA Small joke there that you can use later. :slight_smile: Tell them that you are looking the donkey right in the eyes. :slight_smile: hahahaha

In the other sects that I have seen any and all conversations on religion have as a common element the possibility of conversion of the other person.

However, we can do a lot by just internal evengelisation. We hav families that have unbaptised children…of all ages. Then, they must be activated and kept so. Just think of al the names on a Parish Roll. If we were to have a special social function, say a Pot L, and invite everyone to it. Everyone must bring something. Fried Chicken, rolls, beans, chips, Kool-aid, tea, coffee, etc… We can create social activities on an informal level that will increase our activity levels, offerings (I believe in titheing 10% as well personally, even tho I cannot spell it hahahaha) We have a lot of work we can do internally as well. If anyone would like assistance drop me an email and use three of these*, above the 8 key and I will get it. I will respond to you.:thumbsup: There are other cultures and languages. The Spanish language is a large opportunity to keep what is traditionally ours.
Guys, we have a great opportunity to do a fantastic job!! We can do it for the right reason.:slight_smile:

I don’t think it’s any different really from when you were Baptist. You need to study to know your faith and as long as you’re excited about it, it will flow out. As a Protestant I think I had somewhat less tact about it than I do now but you can’t help but want to talk about something you hold so dear. And of course, every person you meet presents a different challenge and requires a different approach.

I am a converted Baptist.
I have found that a thorough knowledge of the scripture has been my best resource. It is ironic that the very education I sought to defend my protestant beliefs was the very tool that brought me to abandon it. I was an adamant opponent of Catholicism right up until the time I inadvertantly deconstructed my faith by pursuing the questions I needed to answer in defense of it!
Now, with my previous experiences with protestant faiths, I can gently approach the hot topics of contention between the Catholic and Protestants and systematically deconstruct the misconceptions and fabrications that have developed over the years by Protestants outside of the church.
When I first converted I felt very betrayed by the Protestant founding fathers. But I have since taken this frustration and turned it into effective discussion points. Once I looked at the Reformation from the perspective of the Catholic faith, the flaws developed by Calvin, Luther, (and others) became very obvious. I have found it is far easier to disassemble the Protestant assumptions. Once confounded, the only real alternative is to accept Catholicism as truth. It is the very same experience I was confronted with.
Revealing truth is an act of love, and should be approached as such. There is a lot of bad blood between the faiths (believe me - I was one of them) and only through consistant administration of the truth can one ever hope to bring our brothers and sisters back into the fold.
Please don’t underestimate how traumatic this experience can be for Protestants. Discovering the truth was very scary for me, for I had spent 35 years believing I knew the truth. I was very distraught and confused for some time. I spent a lot of time in prayer and talked to all of my Protestant friends and family in hopes they could convince me otherwise. But they could not. Once the truth is even slightly revealed, it became self attesting.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.