Good Catholic Magazines

I noticed on another thread some Magazines that were mentioned that one should avoid. forums.catholic.com/showthread.php?t=94967

I was wondering if someone could give me a nice list of what Magazines I should look for and what I should aviod (and why so if someone is looking at it I could tell them with a more than “Because I heard they are bad”)? Thanks and God Bless.

I can absolutely help you out here, as I have ordered and cancelled more magazines in the last few years than I can count.

Stay Away from:

US Catholic (totally liberal, bordering on heresy)
National Catholic Reporter (same)
New Oxford Review (totally crazy, beyond right wing wacko, anti-Rome)

Enjoy:
Catholic Answers
Catholic Register
Crisis
This Rock

I love “Faith and Family” magazine. It has great articles about Catholic family life and beautiful photos. I look forward to every issue.

blessedtoo, what about Envoy magazine? I was thinking about getting this magazine.

Not a magazine but a weekly newspaper

National Catholic Register…many features that read like a magazine and completely orthodox. Done by the Legionaries of Christ.

Gilbert! a magazine for the Chestertonians…that’s transitive to Catholic in a way.

“Annals Australasia” Edited by Fr. Paul Stenhouse, M.S.C. has been continuously produced for well over 100 years; a previous Editor is the renowned “Radio Priest” Dr. Leslie Rumble, M.S.C.

Inspect the "Annals Australasia un-Official Home Page for sample articles and further details at jloughnan.tripod.com/annals.htm

EVERYONE should possess the two volumes on Fundamentalism.

I have not read Envoy magazine but I am thinking of getting it - the editor is Patrick Madrid who is on CA Live a lot, and they speak highly of the magazine (Jerry, Jimmy, Karl, etc.). So I suspect it is very good also!

May I make a few clarifications?

1. “Envoy” is a very fine magazine, but no issue has been printed since March 2004 because of financial problems.

2. “New Oxford Review” is not “totally crazy, beyond right wing wacko, anti-Rome.” It is orthodox, but it has an “attitude” that not everyone will be comfortable with. For example, it has run criticisms of some well-known orthodox Catholics. Nothing that has appeared in the magazine can be described fairly as “anti-Rome.”

3. A careful reader can profit even from the “National Catholic Reporter.” It is heterodox in its theology, but it is good in its news stories. Most of its columnists can be ignored with impunity.

Anyone know anything about “Parish Life” (from e-series at Celebration Publications.
I think it used to be called ‘Eucharist Minister’ or ‘Ministry’ - something like that.

[quote=Karl Keating]May I make a few clarifications?

1. “New Oxford Review” is not “totally crazy, beyond right wing wacko, anti-Rome.” It is orthodox, but it has an “attitude” that not everyone will be comfortable with. For example, it has run criticisms of some well-known orthodox Catholics. Nothing that has appeared in the magazine can be described fairly as “anti-Rome.”

[/quote]

Is is consumed with hatred for Bush and the Iraq war and it spills over into much of what they write. They also viciouslybattack anyone who disagrees with them. I found it is a good magazine if you skip the letters and the editorial section.

[quote=estesbob]Is is consumed with hatred for Bush the Iraq war and is spills over into much of what they write. they also viciouslybattack anyone who disagrees with them. However if you can wade through that it has some great articles.
[/quote]

You still mischaracterize the “New Oxford Review.”

Yes, it opposes the Iraq War, citing John Paul II and Benedict XVI among those who share that position. Many orthodox Catholics oppose that war.

And, yes, the “New Oxford Review” has been critical of President Bush, but it has not printed anything that can be described as “hatred.”

The letters column in the magazine runs letters that sometimes are highly critical of the magazine’s articles or editorials–and the editor replies to those letters pointedly, but he does not “viciously attack” them.

If you just don’t like the positions taken by the magazine, that’s fine, but you should describe even things you oppose with appropriate language.

[quote=Karl Keating]You still mischaracterize the “New Oxford Review.”

Yes, it opposes the Iraq War, citing John Paul II and Benedict XVI among those who share that position. Many orthodox Catholics oppose that war.

And, yes, the “New Oxford Review” has been critical of President Bush, but it has not printed anything that can be described as “hatred.”

The letters column in the magazine runs letters that sometimes are highly critical of the magazine’s articles or editorials–and the editor replies to those letters pointedly, but he does not “viciously attack” them.

If you just don’t like the positions taken by the magazine, that’s fine, but you should describe even things you oppose with appropriate language.
[/quote]

I suggest people read the magazine and judge for themselves. Like I said once I get past the letters and editorial views I think it is a good magazine.(great article recently on the ultra liberal Seminary in S.F.) Pehaps the term “viciously” is over the top but then i think the way they criticized Deal Hudson and others was over the top also.

I will also admit to being somewhat intimidated by having come to your attention!http://forums.catholic.com/images/icons/icon11.gif

There are no so much magazines but periodicals:

“First Things”
“Communio”

As a K of C we get Columbian. It is great! See if you can get it too.

“Inside the Vatican” gets good reviews from my mom, but I haven’t had a chance to sit down with an issue yet.

Karl, do you know anything about the status of Envoy? Is there a possibility that it will return at some point or is it on a permanent haitus? It was in my top three for favorite magazines when it was published - along with Crisis and This Rock (of course http://forum.catholic.com/images/smilies/wink.gif )

As I mentioned above, the last issue of “Envoy” came out in March 2004, almost two years ago. As Patrick Madrid has noted in fundraising letters, the problem has been paying the printer for earlier issues so that issues that are ready for the printer can be printed.

Since no new issue has been forthcoming, it seems that “Envoy” has not been able to raise enough to pay off the old bills and to guarantee payment of new bills. I have not spoken to Patrick recently, but I’m not aware of any likelihood that the magazine will be able to appear soon. Whether this means it in fact is defunct I can’t say.

I think Patrick and his associates produced a very fine publication–one that many people learned from–and it’s unfortunate that it may no longer be available.

Thanks for the info Karl. It’s a pity that it didn’t work out. Maybe it means God has other plans for Patrick…

Canticle magazine is great
st julie

I enjoy Catholic Digest.

Amie

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.